• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels 'likely' to start season with 4-man rotation

Going to carry 12 pitchers to start the season -- so while it provides one or even two more spots to make those tough pen depth decisions -- it means 13 position players -- so only five bench guys.

bad news for the 2B candidates. Means at least two of them won't be heading West to Anaheim.

Angels released P Matt Lindstrom early so that he could possibly catch on with another MLB team during this final week of ST.

Wonder if they've had that talk with Rutledge and Grant Green -- 'hey, guys, you're not making the 25 and will be starting the season at SLC -- no guarantees on anything beyond that -- do you want to be sent out or something else -- something else meaning being traded, DFA'd or outright released...........?"

I still think Rutledge and Green can help some MLB team and should be given a chance to do so if they're not going to be up with the Angels to start the season.

Anyhow, it sounds like Scioscia isn't impressed with Heaney and his 9.00 ERA. Spring starts should matter and Rucinski, Alvarez, and Tropeano have all been better than Heaney.

I'd like to see Rucinski get the starts until Richards comes back and then whoever among Rucinski and Santiago is pitching better stays in the rotation while the other returns to the bullpen.

Heaney and Tropeano could be stuck in AAA for awhile. If they do well, I wonder if the Angels will try to trade someone. Wilson?

well, I thought they'd go with 11 pitchers -- particularly because they don't need a fifth starter until mid-April or so.......so when I read 12 pitchers -- 4 starters and 8 pen guys I thought it took away a position player spot -- 4 starters, 7 pen guys, 9 starting position players including the DH, so that would be FIVE bench position player guys -- by adding that 8th pen guy (instead of the fifth starter) you're at 12 pitchers 9 starting line up players (including the DH) which gives you 21 -- so only FOUR spots left.

start listing the 9 line up starters (including the DH) and with the last four spots (one of them is a back up catcher and the other is Cowgill in OF -- he makes the team) so now you're down to, really, TWO spots and, apparently, rule 5 guy Featherston has one of those........so ONE SPOT.

The 12 pitchers announcement is probably very good news for Rucinski and Rasmus (who seemed to almost pitch his way off the roster this spring)

if those two are the last two IN. the other TEN locks are the four starters: Weaver, Wilson, Shoemaker, Santiago and then the pen guys (6): Huston Street, Joe Smith, Mike Morin, Jose Alvarez and then two who could also be 'bubble' candidates: Salas and Pestano. That's 12 pitchers with Garrett Richards looking stronger every day and likely to be off the DL by April 15 or there abouts. Have not heard much about where Tyler Skaggs is at this point.......so June may be the earliest for his return.

then the 9 in the line up: (9): C- Ianetta, 1B- Pujols; 2B- Giavotella; SS- Aybar; 3B - Freese; LF - Joyce; CF- TROUT; RF- Calhoun; DH - CJ Cron

12 plus 9 = 21 - FOUR SPOTS LEFT:  Butera as back up catcher has ONE locked; Cowgill as 5th OF'er sometimes DH has the second spot; Featherston  MIF- Rule 5 guy;

ONE SPOT LEFT: Navarro (I think he deserves to stay up -- will have t battle for ABs though); Grant Green, Rutledge all battling it out. If the Halos keep 11 (instead of 12) pitchers -- two of these guys make it......

I think the decision on Rutledge has already been made -- he's being sent out;  so it's down to Grant Green vs. Efren Navarro.......Green is more versatile and can play OF, 3B and MIF (not great there but adequate as a sub)  It may come down to whether the Halos think Pujols is looking healthier and seeing the ball well -- the thinking being that Green's versatility adds more to the team than Navarro's bat and D at 1B and if Pujols doesn't need to be spelled at 1B as often (particularly in the early season).......the need for Navarro is not as great.

But the decision to go with 12 pitchers NOW and keeping that rotation spot for a pen guy instead of a position player -- makes the cut down tough on the 2B guys.

No one really goes with 11 pitchers anymore. In fact for quite a bit of last season we had 13.

As for "having the talk" with Rutledge or Green, they have options, we can do what we like with them. We're not DFAing guys we gave up quite a bit for just for the heck of it or just because they decide they'd rather go somewhere else.

Updated my roster today and it feels really solid to me. Only last question is Navarro vs Krauss and I think it's 65-35 Navarro.

http://m.ocregister.com/angels/roster-652916-keep-tropeano.html

Iannetta Butera

Pujols Giav aybar Freese Featherston cron

Trout Joyce Calhoun Cowgill navarro

Weaver Wilson shoemaker santiago

Street smith salas Ramos morin Pestano Rucinski Alvarez

4 starters for first 7 games. Rucinski/richards/Alvarez (in that order start on 4/14)

Have not heard much about where Tyler Skaggs is at this point.......so June may be the earliest for his return.

He's not in the mix at all for 2015. IIRC he's not expected back until 2016 and if he pitches at all this year it will be in something like the instructional league as part of his rehab.
Edited by AngelsSurfer