• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yadier Alvarez: Possible Target?

nikkachez

With the influx of Cuban talent, the Angels have, for the most part, remained pretty quiet on the big names. Recently, though, the Angels were mentioned as team interested in the young Cuban fireballer: Yadier Alvarez. It had been previously reported that he would sign after the July 2nd signing period which would take the Angels out of the running. 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/yadier-alvarez-seeking-waiver-to-allow-deal.html

This could make things veeerrrry interesting. Jerry is all about stockpiling young pitching and then using that excess pitching to acquire other players for other areas of need. Newcomb and Alvarez headlining the minor league system could be reeeally fun to watch. Also get to look forward to another first round pick this year!

I read that earlier today. I think it would be a really good signing. Already throwing mid to upper 90's.

He's young and has even more room to grow into his frame where he can add to that velocity and help maintain it through a game. I know this team has a ton of pitching, but keep em coming. This team could really use a right-handed young pitcher with all the lefties Dipoto's accumulated. With him added, Baldoquin breaking out, and another nice draft, the farm system's looking in good shape. Take advantage of being able to sign Latin talent now, since you won't able to do so for the next two years. 

I wouldn't discount the Angels, but Dipoto seems set on acquiring young, inexpensive pitching. If Alvarez is as good as his scouting report says he is, he probably won't come cheap.

Look at it this way, Newcomb cost the Angels 2 million and by most measures is one of the best pitching prospects in baseball. If he develops the way the organization believes, in a year or two he might be in the conversation for best pitching prospect.

Alvarez has similar upside, but will likely cost 15 million (30 million when you consider penalties). That's not the Angels model for building pitching depth. The draft is. Trading veterans can be.

I wouldn't discount the Angels, but Dipoto seems set on acquiring young, inexpensive pitching. If Alvarez is as good as his scouting report says he is, he probably won't come cheap.

Look at it this way, Newcomb cost the Angels 2 million and by most measures is one of the best pitching prospects in baseball. If he develops the way the organization believes, in a year or two he might be in the conversation for best pitching prospect.

Alvarez has similar upside, but will likely cost 15 million (30 million when you consider penalties). That's not the Angels model for building pitching depth. The draft is. Trading veterans can be.

And yet they're reportedly interested. Hmmmm. 

Look I agree it's probably not what they want to do, but they're not going to be able to sign another big-time Cuban talent for the next two years. The time to strike is now while they can. Plus, it's Arte. The guy has the money. 

Edited by nikkachez