• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ISIS delenda est

Ok I'll start...

Maybe right now we can say ISIS is "contained" territory-wise. They're not really advancing. So they've turned their attention to terrorism, in an effort to intimidate their enemies. The "containment" strategy is not working. ISIS will not stop. Ever. They have to be destroyed.

I'm not a military expert but it seems clear to me they need to be dealt a few serious setbacks. Currently they're spread out in the region, so we're nibbling at them here and there. "Containment." There needs to be a ground force to make them move into a more concentrated group where they can be wiped out with air power. I'm sure the military planners know exactly how to do this if they were given the resources.

Right now everyone wants to fly around where it's relatively safe, and drop bombs. Somehow we need to compel the countries in the region to engage ISIS on the ground. We need to turn up the heat politically on those countries.

Of course they would have support from a coalition of Western countries. I wouldn't be in favor of sending large numbers of U.S. troops. We would have to send some troops for specialized support. Then we give ISIS a series of bloody noses and damage their brand. There's no way they can prevail against a serious ground force. They have no air power at all.

In the first Gulf War the coalition flew over 100,000 sorties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War_air_campaign

So far against ISIS we've flown about 7,800: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/world/middleeast/as-us-escalates-air-war-on-isis-allies-slip-away.html?_r=0

It's just not enough.

You've been playing too much call of duty

So a bunch of current and former military officials think we need to jump headlong into war. Shocking.

Also there is/will be no "coalition." None of the other ME countries are interested in dealing with this, and some are actively helping their cause.

Then it's going to be very slow going with our current strategy. The quote about the state system being completely broken is pretty much correct. And without that, I don't know what you do to solve that. Do you think the coalition should withdraw? I mean that's appealing as hell to me too but that would likely mean ISIS gains a lot of ground. It's just confusing as hell and the people we need most to help us are remarkably stupid. 

Then let ISIS gain ground. Let them get right up to Iran and Saudi Arabia's front yard and force them to take action.

This magical coalition that jay thinks will be formed when we "turn up the heat" (whatever that means), is wishful thinking. At best it would be an Iraq war II "coalition" made up of 90% US forces and about 1000 troops total from 10 different countries

So a bunch of current and former military officials think we need to jump headlong into war. Shocking.

Also there is/will be no "coalition." None of the other ME countries are interested in dealing with this, and some are actively helping their cause.

jordan sent their bombers to hit ISIS targets after one of their own was tortured and killed. i think he was the one that was burned inside a cage. other countries have spoken out against ISIS but i'm not sure what any of them have done outside of local resistance here and there.

it's possible to build a coalition, but it won't be easy.

Mexican drug cartels kill hundreds just across our border to the south and you guys don't give a shit, but ISIS is all you care about.

Guns kill more in a month than this ISIS attack killed and yet once again all you care about is ISIS.  In fact, we have killed more innocent people in our ME wars than ISIS killed, but once again you want to go after ISIS.

I don't get it.  Bring the troops home and defend our borders.  Let France go after ISIS (like they have).  We can help if they request it.

jordan sent their bombers to hit ISIS targets after one of their own was tortured and killed. i think he was the one that was burned inside a cage. other countries have spoken out against ISIS but i'm not sure what any of them have done outside of local resistance here and there.

it's possible to build a coalition, but it won't be easy.

Saudi Arabia is helping ISIS

Turkey is helping ISIS

Israel would like.nothing more than to see the Arab countries tear.themselves apart

Iran wants no part of it, and certainly is not going to help us.

Who's left? Russia? LOL