• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Christmas and Baseball

AngelsWin.com

1676577b7c4a993bfcf783f097ef5dde.jpg

By David Saltzer, AngelsWin.com Senior Writer

At first, Christmas and baseball seem to have nothing in common. Thinking back, maybe we got baseball cards or a new baseball glove for Christmas, but that doesn’t make the two have anything in common.

On the surface, Christmas can’t have anything in common with baseball because it doesn’t come during the baseball season. The holiday arrives around the midpoint between the end of the World Series and the date when players report for Spring Training.

And Santa, well he may be spry enough to go up and down chimneys, but with his physique, no team would rush out to sign him to a 9-figure deal. He couldn’t clear the medical release.

So why confound the two when they appear to have so little in common? Because deep down, they are connected in many ways. 

Christmas, as a holiday, is filled with hope. Once we get past the shopping, the presents, and all the rush, it really is about hope. It’s the celebration of the miraculous birth of Jesus, and reminds us of all the hope that can come with Him. Christmas is the one day where we can reflect on all that is good in us and the world, and share our joy with others. It’s the chance that our dreams can come true, and the world we wish for can be had.

Hope—it’s the feeling that what is wanted can be had. And in Christmas, more than any other time of the year, that feeling is felt. With the birth of Jesus, Christians everywhere hope that what is wanted most—peace on Earth, good will towards all men—can be had this year. From His humble beginnings, being born in a manger because the inn was full, to the glory He brought forth, Christmas is the beginning of a miraculous story.

Baseball, like Christmas, is also filled with hope. 

From the time I was little, I always knew I’d never be a basketball player. Or a football player. Or a boxer or hockey player. All those sports have specific types and physiques. All I had to do was look at my parents, and, thanks to DNA, knew that I wouldn’t be successful in those sports.

But, baseball was different. Anyone could play that game. You didn’t have to be the tallest kid to be a good hitter. You didn’t have to be the fastest kid to be a good fielder. The biggest kids in school weren’t necessarily the best baseball players. With enough practice and work, everyone could hope to become a good player and to win it all.

Today, hope is very much alive in baseball. Over the past 10 years, at least 26 of the 30 different Major League teams qualified for the postseason. Only one team has qualified for the postseason more than 3 years in a row—and that team only did it four times before sitting home for a year in October. No other sport can claim that level of parity. 

There’s a reason why New Years comes a week after Christmas rather than at any other time of year. It comes during the middle of winter, during the 12 days of Christmas, because winter is when we need hope the most. While the Earth is cold and barren, we need to be reminded of all the potential for good within all living things. Christmas gives us that hope—the hope to sustain us to spring. Spring is when the good returns, the plants return to life. And, for baseball fans, spring is when our dreams for our team renew.

On behalf of everyone at AngelsWin.com, I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas. May you, your family, and your friends be blessed. Thank you for making our internet home for Angels baseball your home.

JHD1EHmzMGI

View the full article

Edited by Dave Saltzer

Got my Angels Santa hat out and ready to wear tomorrow. Kids are asleep, presents are under the tree and I'm finishing up my Maker's mark on the rocks.

Merry Christmas to all!

Fellow Makers fan here, you gotta try the Makers 46, good stuff man!

Hope you all have a great Christmas, I truly enjoy all who post here, definitely an entertaining bunch.

Just gotta say--I love my wife!

We don't have a lot of money, yet she bought us tickets to both Angel games here in Denver (along with Rockies/Phillies on my birthday--part of a holiday 3-pack) and my favorite Angel cap (the old LA logo with the halo around the top).

This goes with the Angels jacket she bought me last year.

While I'm certainly not a Christian, and have no use for organized religion, I do like to celebrate the season of giving. But I feel like this year, I got more than I was able to give thanks to family.

So, a belated Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, & Happy Kwanzaa!

And I'll see you in Denver on July 7 & 8, where it should be some 80-100 degrees warmer than it is now.