• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A's Gameday Thread

They've played other games than today without Cespedes you know. He's right, I've caught a few innings of the A's lineup since the trade and pitchers seem more confident in facing the middle of their lineup.

Fair enough. The thing with the A's is probably more so than any other team they can win without anything coming from their middle of the order. If we think Moss and Donaldson are going to slump for the rest of the season then we're just setting ourselves up. Guess we'll see how it plays out, though.

I totally agree about the comment on the A's lineup without Cespedes. Guys like Moss are expected to be the 4 hitter in that lineup and it's not happening. Cespedes gave them swagger. When that trade went down I was surprised more analysts weren't saying the loss of Cespedes would be difficult on that lineup.

Cespedes mostly hit 3rd or 5th. Moss mostly hits 4th.

Edited by HaloMagic

In the 10th:

Jaso's 4th called ball was a strike 3

Donaldson's check swing was the third strike, but called a ball

Donaldson hit the ball in foul territory and the Rays screwed themselves by letting it drop

That's 3 outs given away. Can't expect to get through the inning.

Moss actually hit 7th against lefties for the most part. The 3 hitter is maybe more critical than the 4 hitter IMO.

Less than 6% of Moss' plate appearances have been hitting 7th. I don't know how much of that 6% came vs. a LHP but with a number so small it seems sort of irrelevant. Plus, the only time the A's faced a lefty starter since that trade Moss sat and it was a blowout for the A's. And I agree that the 3rd hitter is more important than the 4th but Cespedes has only hit there about 1/3 of his at bats so it's not like he was providing some sort of stability to that spot. Plus he was only there because Donaldson stopped hitting. And Cespedes had a .735 OPS in tht spot (his lowest of any spot in the order) so he wasn't flourishing in the role. He was just better than Donaldson. Or expected to be, at least.

Edited by HaloMagic

Fair enough. The thing with the A's is probably more so than any other team they can win without anything coming from their middle of the order. If we think Moss and Donaldson are going to slump for the rest of the season then we're just setting ourselves up. Guess we'll see how it plays out, though.

That's true. I'm certainly not expecting the A's offense to just drop into mediocrity, but the loss of a guy who has semi-star power/charisma/grit (I know, it's nothing cold hard analytic, but it means something) can make a pitchers job easier as the game goes on and pressure rises. Then add in the fact that other guys are expected to step up after him, and the guy stepping up leaves a spot for the next guy to come in and do the same, etc definitely adds up to making a difference.

I honestly think our offense is better than theirs, and this move just made that belief even truer. The Angels jobs are going to be are much easier in grabbing that #1 runs scored place by the end of the year.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim