• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Threading the Needle at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office

Looking forward to the day when all the PC libs win and all human group names are banished. Chiefs, Braves, Padres, Pirates, Yankees, 49ers, Canadiens, or anything that can take you to court....although, then the Shawn Bradley types will create a union and say names like the Giants are derogatory.

You know, ever since that whole beanstalk incident people have been very negative towards Giants.

Edited by Inside Pitch

We live in a hyper sensitive uber politically correct world. You all are what's wrong with society and the downfall of the western world.

Get over your sensitivity issues and worry about more pressing things like the lies your government is telling you daily or Scioscia's insistence on using Frieri as closer.

Aren't they a sovereign people? Don't they want to be recognized as independent and not interefered with by our government? Don't they want their own laws so that they can take certain advantages

Like religious organizations?

I have never used the term Redskin to mean anything other than the football team. If I heard someone being called a Redskin it would take me a moment before I realized what was happening. I don't know of anyone who uses the term and unfortunately I know too many racist people. It's just not popular slur. The word has clearly evolved from a derogatory term to simply a brand name. I really don't care about this. It not my team so I have no preference on their name but if it was my team I would think that it was stupid and a waste of time to change the name.

So I guess I'm a racist. Meh. I'll let someone else get outraged over my racism. I don't care about that, either.

Edited by HaloMagic

90% of Native Americans are not offended by "Redskins" so this is all about political correctness and a coercive government taking away private property rights from individuals. This is the Executive branch, not the Judicial Branch, that made this decision. Department of Commerce.

90% of Native Americans are not offended by "Redskins" so this is all about political correctness and a coercive government taking away private property rights from individuals. This is the Executive branch, not the Judicial Branch, that made this decision. Department of Commerce.

link?

The name "Redskins" is disgusting and of course it should be changed, by whatever means someone is capable of changing it. You guys can throw around whatever half-assed logical fallacies and red herrings you like in order to dodge that moral clarity, but you only look foolish. 

It's disgusting not only because it derogates millions of Americans, it's disgusting because it suggests that the rest of the country continues to enjoy a racist indifference to its own history. Of course reconciling oneself with that history and its legacies is not easy because the nation's founding act was genocide (and its founding institution slavery). But it's still gross to watch people choose racist imagery over moral consciousness. It's embarrassing to live in such a country. (The appropriate analogue, but the way, is not "Yankess" or "Fighing Irish"; the appropriate analogue would be a German soccer team named the "Leipzig Yid-Lids.")

And its embarrassing to realize one reads a board full of smug white dudes who think the the fact that "Redskins" has been around for decades means it's benign -- or that the government should let well enough alone because the regulation of its commodities is more sacred than the dignity of its citizens.

The only thing about all this more disgusting than "Redskins,"  in other words, is having read and hear all the racist babbling of the venal "majority" of sports fans still attempting to veil their own view of reality. 

U mad bro? 

You guys need a logic class. And a history class.

If it happened to be the case on that a society of atheists had conducted a couple hundred years of genocidal ethnic cleansing in order to remove a society of religious people while using the term "Angels" to degrade them....then, yes, of course our team's name would also be a disgusting offense to the basic ideas about dignity on which secular society depends.

because no one has been killed for not recognizing religious beliefs.

Get rid of the padres while we're at it. Those spanish priests who brought christianity to those godless heathen indians in the first place by way of the musket and starvation....

We could play this game all day, dear champion of tolerance.