• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What if we still had Mark Mulder?

Just a pure guess, but his stuff looked good and we lacked (still do) starting pitching depth.  Santiago and Skaggs looked great in Spring Training adn he wouldn't have beat either of them out, but at the same time would've needed to be stretched out.  He would've went to AAA, and would've been called up instead of Matt Shoemaker when Santiago struggled so much.  I'm guessing he'd have been decent but not a tremendous difference maker, much like Matt Shoemaker, who has been solid. 

He's 36 and he hasn't pitched in the ML in six years. In 2007 and 2008 he combined to pitch 13 terrible innings. 2006 was the last season that he had a decent sample size of IP and he had about a 7 ERA in about 93 innings. I doubt he would've made the team, but if he did, he would've been a non-factor.

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

I think he would have made the team, it was pretty clear all through ST they wanted Skaggs to start in the minors (hardly unreasonable given his age and apparent need for a bit more development). Had everything else gone down the same path, he'd probably be in the rotation now (unless it went really badly), Santiago would be in the minors and Skaggs would have just been called up.

Disagree about Skaggs Oz. Based off of what Dipoto said, he really wanted Skaggs to be in the majors to start the year. Instead of sending him back and forth between AAA and the majors like the D-Backs did, Dipoto wanted to let Skaggs loose and develop some consistency in the majors.

Then Sosh just would have had another veteran toy to play with. Skaggs still probably wouldn't be on the MLB roster if Mulder didn't get injured.

Seriously? In a season where the Angels have relied on Skaggs, Santiago, Richards, Calhoun, Green, Cron, Navarro...some of those guys supplanting vets like Ibanez for a majority of playing time...in a season where they cut Blanton and gave Santiago (bad) and Skaggs (good) rotation spots...folks still trot out that tired and pointless meme?

But in answer to the original query...if the Angels still had Mark Mulder he'd most likely be on the DL, if it wasn't his achilles than it would be something else.

rather than get involved with predicting what will never be known, i'll add that i really would have liked to see what he could bring. he was a hell of a pitcher at one time who retired very early. it would have been pretty interesting to witness.

• 2 weeks later...

rather than get involved with predicting what will never be known, i'll add that i really would have liked to see what he could bring. he was a hell of a pitcher at one time who retired very early. it would have been pretty interesting to witness.

I agree. Considering he said he found a new release point and arm angle

Edited by KevinJ14