• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

4K TV: Fad or fantastic?

Redondo

Lolz. I work on an OLED monitor and yes, it is but 4k and whatever you view it on is two separate issues.

I started in the TV industry 30 years ago and at the time all the talk was HD. It took 20 years for the logistics of how bandwidth would be allocated to offer both HD and SD programming that you watch today. The bandwidth requirements for 4k is beyond anything that the FCC had anticipated. Expect 4K programming to be slow in arrival. We have the technology but not the infrastructure.

I went to CES, and all they had was 4k.  Some looked really good.  Some looked crappy.  

I guess it's a good step towards the future.  But it'll be like HD, and take a decade to catch on.  And by then they might have moved on to something else.  

The price is dropping fast so I think it'll go mainstream in a few years instead of disappearing like 3d. Even when it is common I doubt it'll be much use since hardly anything other than some Netflix feeds are available in 4k. 1080P has been around for ages and they still don't broadcast TV at that rate. 

The price is dropping fast so I think it'll go mainstream in a few years instead of disappearing like 3d. Even when it is common I doubt it'll be much use since hardly anything other than some Netflix feeds are available in 4k. 1080P has been around for ages and they still don't broadcast TV at that rate. 

Didn't someone say that the Angels HD feed isn't even at 1080p yet?  That can tell you how important going to 4k would be.  

Didn't someone say that the Angels HD feed isn't even at 1080p yet?  That can tell you how important going to 4k would be.  

Nothing on TV is 1080p. Channels either use 720p or 1080i. Sports is usually 720p because it has a higher framerate and looks less jerky with all the motion onscreen. 1080i uses all the pixels but repeats certain frames. Overall they use the same amount of bandwidth. Netflix and HBO Go can do 1080p and Netflix even does 4k for some movies and shows. I think it takes about 15 megabits to keep it going.