• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mayor Bloomberg smacked down

"The groups said the decision by the Board of Health to approve the ban was overreaching and ignored the rights of New Yorkers to make their own choices. The plan is “grossly unfair” to small businesses such as hot-dog vendors and pizzerias because convenience and grocery stores can still sell the larger sizes, lawyers for the groups told Tingling during a hearing in January."

there's a real interesting legal/social behavior aspect to this action, on both sides. the mayor is attempting to do something that at it's core is in the best interests of peoples' health by legislating a type of morality. the courts and the "hands off my bladder" side wants no restrictions, seemingly, regardless of the health issues involved, and cites the issue of fairness here. 

I had visions of New Yorkers crossing the bridge into New Jersey to buy large sodas, and enforcement officers on the New York side searching cars for cups over 16 ounces and arresting people.

I understand the intent, but making soda illegal because of the size of the cup is asinine. People could just buy two 16-ounce sodas, more profit for the restaurant.

So the soda ban goes but the NYC gun laws are intact.

It appears that there are more people willing to fight to maintain the right to suck ridiculous amounts of sugary crap down their throats than are willing to fight to maintain the constitutionally afforded right to keep and bear arms in the same space.

I guess that just goes to show that for most people the right to eat and drink what they want is a relevant issue in their lives while the right to bear arms is an archaic fossil from yesteryear.

Amazing what is being taught or not taught in our schools.

"while the right to bear arms is an archaic fossil from yesteryear."

Eradicate the human trait to infringe on the life and property of others and maybe this statement would be correct. Good luck with that. Until that occurs, people have every right to defend their life and property from those who would take it.

Bloomberg is such a clownish little authoritarian. I'm almost glad he exists because even the sleeping masses wake up a little with these antics.

Santa Monica gets $1 million to measure residents' well-being

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/13/local/la-me-well-being-20130314

On Wednesday, the seaside city was named a winner in the first-ever Bloomberg Philanthropies' Mayors Challenge, with an idea Santa Monica Mayor Pam O'Connor called a "game-changer." As one of four runners-up in the nationwide competition, the city will receive the award as seed money to develop its "Wellbeing Project."

Santa Monica's project will be carried out over the next two years, and its creators hope to develop a model that can be used nationwide, said Santa Monica city staff member Dean Kubani.

Work with Rand Corp. and other experts will continue as the index develops, Kubani said. The city will need to gather data on factors that drive well-being, such as economics, education, health and social connectedness, and ultimately that data will be funneled into an overall well-being score. In the second year of the project, officials said they will use the index to frame decisions by city government, neighborhood groups and nonprofits.

"while the right to bear arms is an archaic fossil from yesteryear."

Eradicate the human trait to infringe on the life and property of others and maybe this statement would be correct. Good luck with that. Until that occurs, people have every right to defend their life and property from those who would take it.

No one stated that that statement is "correct". You took what I said and chopped the beginning off which changed it entirely. Who said people don't have the right to defend their life and property? Not me, certainly.

I guess. I said most people view the soda issue as more relevant than the gun issue. I never said it was alright to restrict gun ownership nor did I claim that "the right to bear arms is an archaic fossil from yesteryear" was a correct statement.

So yeah, when someone posts a sentence and then you quote only the last part, language can easily be misconstrued.

I guess. I said most people view the soda issue as more relevant than the gun issue. I never said it was alright to restrict gun ownership nor did I claim that "the right to bear arms is an archaic fossil from yesteryear" was a correct statement.

So yeah, when someone posts a sentence and then you quote only the last part, language can easily be misconstrued.

By the way, looks like Feinstien's efforts failed.  Guess more people care about the gun issue than you thought.