• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading Kendrick

Torridd

I don't think so either....you might get a similiar player for what we got for KMo--Vargas....that isn't going to please many around here but that's the way I see....

He has to have more value than Morales. He doesn't have any health concerns, plays a defensive first position and is a similarly valuable hitter. His contract is pretty friendly too (not that Morales wasn't). Vargas was a pretty good return as well, I think I'd be happy with getting a slightly better than Vargas pitcher in return for Howie.

I don't see any similarities in their trade value. Kendrick has way more value than Morales did last year. Morales was a DH coming off an average season and going into his contract year. If the Kendrick for Lee deal didn't get overruled, he would've brought back a top pitching prospect and young reliever, while Kmo brought back a #4 SP in the last year of his contract. I think it's safe to say that Kendrick won't get moved for anything short of a young cost controlled starter

Edited by SoWhat

I don't see any similarities in their trade value. Kendrick has way more value than Morales did last year. Morales was a DH coming off an average season and going into his contract year. If the Kendrick for Lee deal didn't get overruled, he would've brought back a top pitching prospect and young reliever, while Kmo brought back a #4 SP in the last year of his contract. I think it's safe to say that Kendrick won't get moved for anything short of a young cost controlled starter

I hope you're right but I don't see it...if I have a young, cost controlled starter who is better than Vargas, I wouldn't move him for Howie...Howie is a good player but not good enough to give up a good young starter for....young starters are the most valuable piece you can have, short of a Trout type everyday player....

A prospect for Howie? That might be different...most prospects are still a hope and a prayer...you may get Corbin or Sergura but you may not....

Edited by DMVol

I don't think so either....you might get a similiar player for what we got for KMo--Vargas....that isn't going to please many around here but that's the way I see....

He has to have more value than Morales. He doesn't have any health concerns, plays a defensive first position and is a similarly valuable hitter. His contract is pretty friendly too (not that Morales wasn't). Vargas was a pretty good return as well, I think I'd be happy with getting a slightly better than Vargas pitcher in return for Howie.

Here is the other thing to remember: Established MLB players have more value than prospects.

If we are talking about trading Howie for another current, MLB pitcher then yes you'd expect to get a pitcher who also has about two years of control left and is probably a #2-#3 type starter (something close to that).

However if you are going after Minor League pitchers then you can and will get more. Since we need to watch our team budget going after prospects is the best route for our long term future, especially in terms of controllable years.

So, realistically, there is no reason that Howie couldn't bring in 2 or more prospects (depending on their quality and how close they are to the Majors) if he was traded.

This is why the rumor of Zach Lee and Chris Withrow made a lot of sense: One is a "high-pedigree" AA starting pitcher and the other is a AAA/MLB high quality relief pitcher. If it had gone through we would have received the Dodgers #1 prospect plus one more prospect/player (Withrow has pitched some innings in the Majors this season but is still probably considered a prospect).

There is a much bigger market and need for quality MIF'ers than 1B/DH types who put up an OPS around .800. Kendrick is by no means great but he is definitely a valuable asset at second base, and would be for most teams in the league. Not to mention he has a friendly contract that goes through the 2015 season.

I'd love to keep him, but he's the only guy we can replace in-house in order to get quality SP. I'd see what we could get for Trumbo and Bourjos before moving any of our MI's though.

In the end I just want us to make the best possible trade deals that we can. If that means Kendrick, Trumbo, Aybar, Iannetta, or Bourjos has to go (or more than one) then so be it. I just don't want us to sell low or through desperation.

are suggesting Kendrick is of equal value of KMO.  KMO who missed two season to a devastating injury, had a mediocre season, is limited on defense, in his walk year, and can't run faster than Pujols on one leg.

Kendrick who is a former all star, should have been a two time all star as he was snuff this year, has speed, and excellent glove and has two years left of club control

Are you nuts?

The most logical trade piece for us is Borjous, but I think he has limited value due to last year and then his inability to stay healthy this year. If I'm another team I'm calling the Angels about Borjous because it makes sense, and I think I can get him for cheap.

Kendrick is the guy who I think can bring a larger return, but also the guy that is likely to be missed most.

inability to stay healthy?

I laugh every time I read this argument.  Yes, general managers are afraid that Bourjos will be prone to being hit on a wrist by a pitch and breaking his hand.  Everyone knows that once you get hit on the wrist by a pitch the injury reoccurs and becomes chronic!

I hope you're right but I don't see it...if I have a young, cost controlled starter who is better than Vargas, I wouldn't move him for Howie...Howie is a good player but not good enough to give up a good young starter for....young starters are the most valuable piece you can have, short of a Trout type everyday player....

A prospect for Howie? That might be different...most prospects are still a hope and a prayer...you may get Corbin or Sergura but you may not....

you're talking in a vacuum though.  Every team has different needs/priorities.  If you're a team on the verge of being a contender and have a hole at 2B to fill, then Howie has quite a bit of value.  For a team not ready to contend or with a great 2B, not as much value.  It's all context.

inability to stay healthy?

I laugh every time I read this argument.  Yes, general managers are afraid that Bourjos will be prone to being hit on a wrist by a pitch and breaking his hand.  Everyone knows that once you get hit on the wrist by a pitch the injury reoccurs and becomes chronic!

It's not the ability to stay healthy that is bringing his trade value down. It's the effect it has had on his ability to prove that he is a capable major league hitter to other general managers. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big PBJ fan, and I see him as the type that can hit .280 with a few walks, some extra base pop and grade A+ defense in center field. General Managers around the league do not, nor can they value him that way because he has not proven it over the last two years.

It's not the ability to stay healthy that is bringing his trade value down. It's the effect it has had on his ability to prove that he is a capable major league hitter to other general managers. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big PBJ fan, and I see him as the type that can hit .280 with a few walks, some extra base pop and grade A+ defense in center field. General Managers around the league do not, nor can they value him that way because he has not proven it over the last two years.

PB has hit over 270 in two of his last three seasons.  I never thought he would be a 300+ hitter even if he stayed healthy, but 270 + is realistic.

I don't know what PB's value is.  I don't know what his surgery does, My response in question is that I hear that he is injury prone.  Just like last year I heard he couldn't hit despite getting sporadic playing time from May 1 on.  

I don't mind trading PB if we can get a legit starter for him.  I have said that many times.  Put all of them (PB, Trumbo, Kendrick, and Calhoun) on the market.  Trade the one who gives us the best return.  Personally I think Kendrick will get us the best return, followed by Trumbo. I am not sure what Calhoun's value is v. PB.  PB proved for a whole season the ability to have a 4+.  Calhoun looks like a stud right now.   We do need a starting pitcher and ideally a mid rotation one and we have trade able players who have proven success on the majors.  That should bring us something.

I would like them to keep Howie. 

I think people are going to end up being unhappy with Green if he gets an everyday job. 

I'd rather see him included as part of a deal with bourjos or trumbo to get a bit more value. 

I'd also rather trade Aybar instead of Howie and get a pitcher as well as a SS or 3b prospect ready for the majors.

This is why I hope we sign Tanaka. I really don't see Green as an everyday player. If he does become the primary second baseman, I hope he serves as the bridge to Lindsey for only one season. If not, he should be used as part of a package with Trumbo or Bourjos.