• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

There are quite a few guys that I would be happy with at #7, first and foremost Marcus Smart.  I like Vonleh and Gordon too.

Draft Smart.

Sign Lance Stephenson

*These two moves would give us a strong youth movement at guard, and two guards who can seriously bring the D.

Help the Bulls shed salary so that they can sign Carmelo Anthony, which would mean accepting the last year of Carlos Boozer's contract in a trade.  Bulls would have to kick in additional picks in this draft.

Sign and trade Pau Gasol for picks or younger players at SF, PF or C.

Offer players or picks to Milwaukee for Larry Sanders (especially if they draft Joel Embiid)

Starting lineup (potentially):  Marcus Smart, Stephenson, Kobe, Boozer, Sanders

Boozer is gone after 2014-2015 and we haven't blown our salary cap and can dip back into free agency next summer.  Maybe Love is still available.

Exactly who or what are the Lakers supposed to trade for Boozer's contract AND additional picks this year?

Also, taking on Boozer's contract, plus Kobe, plus Nash, plus signing Lance Stephenson leaves you with no money to sign and trade Gasol. Trade ideas are fun, but you need to keep the salary cap in mind when playing the game.

Exactly who or what are the Lakers supposed to trade for Boozer's contract AND additional picks this year?

Also, taking on Boozer's contract, plus Kobe, plus Nash, plus signing Lance Stephenson leaves you with no money to sign and trade Gasol. Trade ideas are fun, but you need to keep the salary cap in mind when playing the game.

Why couldn't Gasol's sign and trade involve the Bulls?  The Bulls have been rumored to make an effort to sign Gasol in the off-season.  They would also like to find a trade partner to assume Boozer's deal.  Gasol to Chicago; Boozer to LA along with 2 first rounders this year.  Not saying it will happen, just spit-balling.

The Lakers have 3 players under contract for next season.

Kobe, Nash and Sacre.

Just shows how bad the Nash trade and Kobe extension are.

If all they had was Sacre they could have done a Lebron & Love + Rondo type lineup.

Instead they will end up with Nash (if he can even play), Kobe, draft pick (my guess is C or PG), and schmucks.

Yet they will still be at the salary cap.  Because they are paying Kobe an idiotic amount of money.

Why couldn't Gasol's sign and trade involve the Bulls?  The Bulls have been rumored to make an effort to sign Gasol in the off-season.  They would also like to find a trade partner to assume Boozer's deal.  Gasol to Chicago; Boozer to LA along with 2 first rounders this year.  Not saying it will happen, just spit-balling.

They wouldn't be able to get Melo if they did a sign and trade for Gasol. Your point for taking on Boozers contract was to free up money for the Bulls to sign Melo. Both can't happen in that scenario. If they have a choice between Gasol and Melo, I'm betting they go with Melo without question. 4 years younger and more talented.

Just shows how bad the Nash trade and Kobe extension are.

If all they had was Sacre they could have done a Lebron & Love + Rondo type lineup.

Instead they will end up with Nash (if he can even play), Kobe, draft pick (my guess is C or PG), and schmucks.

Yet they will still be at the salary cap.  Because they are paying Kobe an idiotic amount of money.

I'm not as upset about the Kobe extension as I am about the Nash trade. That Nash trade was not thought out well at all. It was a last ditch effort to try to get Howard to re-sign and hope for another ring in Kobe's last years.

They wouldn't be able to get Melo if they did a sign and trade for Gasol. Your point for taking on Boozers contract was to free up money for the Bulls to sign Melo. Both can't happen in that scenario. If they have a choice between Gasol and Melo, I'm betting they go with Melo without question. 4 years younger and more talented.

How much cap do they have?  How much will Pau get?  How much will Carmelo accept to have a better shot at a ring?

So you know these answers but choose not to comment? Or like me, you don't know either but prefer to assume the role of message board trade police. I'm not submitting a trade offer to the league office, bro. Pau could be signed and traded to a third team with the Lakers ending up with Boozer and picks. It is possible. Teams get creative when they have goals of acquiring certain players or getting rid of contracts. Maybe the Bulls don't sign Carmel at all and just swap Pau for Boozer. Add picks to get deal done. Whatever. Jeesh.

So you know these answers but choose not to comment? Or like me, you don't know either but prefer to assume the role of message board trade police. I'm not submitting a trade offer to the league office, bro. Pau could be signed and traded to a third team with the Lakers ending up with Boozer and picks. It is possible. Teams get creative when they have goals of acquiring certain players or getting rid of contracts. Maybe the Bulls don't sign Carmel at all and just swap Pau for Boozer. Add picks to get deal done. Whatever. Jeesh.

Ignoring the Bulls cap issues, you propose the Lakers take on Boozer's salary for next year along with Kobe's and Nash's contracts. Then you want to sign Stephenson? With what money? The Lakers currently can afford one max contract without Pau/Boozer salary. How are they going to get Stephenson? You expect him to take a discount? Why? Because we are the Lakers?

Between Kobe, Nash, Sacre and Kendall Marshall (if they picked up his option), the team would have roughly 35 million spoken for.  For arguments sake, we take on Boozer at $16 mil, and sign Stephenson for $10 mil per (give or take, not sure what his market will bear).  That brings us to approx. $61 million on 6 players.  Cap is expected to be around $73 million, so the other 9 spots are rookies and players similar to what we had last year making peanuts (Henry, Bazemore, W. Johnson, etc.).  We aren't winning a title, we're building...and we need more assets to build with.  The Chicago picks would help.

The other thing is we have an option to stretch Nash, which would give us another $6 million of wiggle room.  There may be options out there besides a Chicago deal.  OKC may desire to move Perkins and picks for something of value, like Pau.  Someone may want Nash for his expiring contract.  There are options, whether anyone wants to believe it or not.  I'm not saying any of this will happen, just that it could.

Or there is the view that it's impossible, which is fine too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's being discussed inthe  Lebron thread.  My first thought was why but Stradling brought up an excellent point that it's a salary dump by Houston and Lin should come with a pick.  Lin's contract is up next year and let's be honest, the Lakers aren't doing anything worthwhile next year and it's not going to impact them beyond that.