• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Luis Jimenez Rehabbing - Back Soon!

Chuck

3-4 tonight for the Arizona Angels short season club. 

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2013_08_08_pdrrok_angrok_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

Oh yeah, check out the CF for the AZL Angels. Michael Fish with big night.

That's one of the stranger box scores that I've seen. Those pitchers Marcano and Diaz got totally abliterated in the 2nd.

Am I not the only one who finds what the Angels immediate plans for 3B to be fascinating?  And by immediate I mean 2014 and 2015, Cowart should be ready to go in 2016.  We know the Angels won't going into a full-scale rebuild, so clearly they intend to compete the next two years, and the monetary primary focus will of course be in the rotation.  

So this pretty much means Chris Nelson, Grant Green, Andy Marte and Luis Jimenez will be battling it out.  We'll probably see a timeshare of sorts but my goodness, that's a lot of uncertainty for a team with championship aspirations.  And personally, I love it.  If any one of those guys succeeds it'll be an amazing story you'd never get sick of.  Nelson hits .301 with the Rockies, is sent packing for nothing, ends up actually being a good 3B.  Grant Green, the man without a position suddenly has a position and replaces the man he was traded for.  Andy Marte, once a great porspect, abandoned by so many finally figures it out and lives up to the potential.  Luis Jimenez, with his million dollar smile and winning attitude, written off by pretty much every major publication comes up to the majors and does exaxctly what he did in the minors, hit.

It'll be really exciting if any one of those guys pan out.  My money is on Green and Lucho.    

To be honest, I don't really "love" any 3B in the system.

Lucho is probably my favorite out of the bunch, and he's getting old. But go down the list, Green, Lucho, Cowart, B Hernandez, S Johnson, Towey, Dionicio.  None of those names are particularly exciting, considering Cowart all of the sudden couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.  As a lefty this year, Cowart is below the Mendoza line with a .530 OPS, not to mention he has already passed 100 Ks.

Am I not the only one who finds what the Angels immediate plans for 3B to be fascinating?  And by immediate I mean 2014 and 2015, Cowart should be ready to go in 2016.  We know the Angels won't going into a full-scale rebuild, so clearly they intend to compete the next two years, and the monetary primary focus will of course be in the rotation.  

So this pretty much means Chris Nelson, Grant Green, Andy Marte and Luis Jimenez will be battling it out.  We'll probably see a timeshare of sorts but my goodness, that's a lot of uncertainty for a team with championship aspirations.  And personally, I love it.  If any one of those guys succeeds it'll be an amazing story you'd never get sick of.  Nelson hits .301 with the Rockies, is sent packing for nothing, ends up actually being a good 3B.  Grant Green, the man without a position suddenly has a position and replaces the man he was traded for.  Andy Marte, once a great porspect, abandoned by so many finally figures it out and lives up to the potential.  Luis Jimenez, with his million dollar smile and winning attitude, written off by pretty much every major publication comes up to the majors and does exaxctly what he did in the minors, hit.

It'll be really exciting if any one of those guys pan out.  My money is on Green and Lucho.    

I've got no problem with an ever changing competition at 3b for the entire course of the 2014 season. 

You produce, you play.  It's pretty much the A's modus.  The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. 

Ultimately, having a talented player consistently field the position who is worth the time and effort is the goal, but over a season, you can ham and egg it a bit.

It may be necessary to have a series of ongoing competition at several positions if the players that are moved are done so for pitching.  3b, 2b and perhaps 1b/DH and SS might end up being similar. 

The fact that Chris Nelson and Andy Marte might be factors in any position battle for a team with aspirations of contending again in the near future might be the saddest thing I've read on this board.

And I'm not particularly fond of Jimenez either. And as much as I like Cowart's upside, it's hard to not be at least a little concerned about what he's done(or really, not done) in Arkansas.

As I mentioned in some other threads it would not surprise me if Kendrick is traded this off season and we see Chris Nelson, Luis Jimenez, Grant Green, Lindsey Taylor, and Tommy Field platooning at 3rd and 2nd base with Aybar switch-hitting at SS.

You could have Jimenez in against RHP with Green in against LHP at 3rd while Taylor hits RHP and Field hits LHP at 2nd. Nelson or Green might be the odd men out unless they serve in a bench role (possibly Nelson would be out or possibly traded).

As a side note, the A's have used effective platoons over the last two seasons.

Moss and Carter combined, last season, for 38 HR's out of the 1B position.

This year John Jaso and Derek Norris have platooned at catcher. Less successfully, Chris Young and Seth Smith were platooning in the outfield (but it wasn't a bad idea).

That is, in part, why the A's have done so well the last two seasons by taking strong platoon players and mixing them at a position to get strong production that most teams try to get from one single player. It is an inexpensive route to go, especially for a cash-strapped team like the Athletics (and a team like the Angels in 2014 that are dealing with large, sunk contracts).

I certainly do not mind the idea of a platoon.  But I think if there were a platoon plan for 2B and 3B following a Kendrick trade, we'd likely see Lindsey play at 2B against RHP, Green at 2B against LHP.  Then over at 3B we'd see Lucho against LHP (even though he's put up better numbers in the minors against RHP) and Green against RHP.  The idea is that Green's a full time player, while Lindsey plays around 2/3 of the games and Lucho plays in roughly 1/3. 

Offensively, you could call it a platoon with Lucho and Lindsey, even though they play different positions.