• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Just the tip

translation: we're going to pay our servers a competitive wage (if they were working in thailand) but expect you, the customer, to make up the difference just because, regardless of quality of service.

and then, if you don't tip enough, we'll berate you and/or try to make you feel guilty for being a cheap son of a gun.

The patrons that tip the least are the ones that tell you how much they are going to tip you at the beginning of the meal (before they are drunk). After they rack up a bill with three plus rounds of top shelf liquor, they quickly forget. 

When serving, sometimes the best customers are the casual, friendly - not necessarily big tipper - type. They are not calling you "boss", they are not yelling for you across a dining room when you are clearly assisting another table. When these patrons have a complaint, you want to bend over backwards for them because of the respect they show you. 

I hate eating with someone who abuses their server just because they feel the need to. I get so embarrassed eating with someone who had all sorts of demands and they leave 5%. High maintenance diners are the worst. 

Man, talk about some memories.

One of the best all time old board threads from many years ago was a tipping thread and that same dumb ass Facebook group that some of us invaded. I'll never forget the lolz here, on that group page, or the people that felt the need to directly write me from that group page. If i remember correctly it was in response to some dumb broad doing something flagrant to some customers that didn't tip or didn't tip well....I think she just put the situation on blast on her Facebook and made the company look bad and was fired.

Good times.

I tip based on the service I get, not on some set % of the bill. I've been known to tip as low as a quarter, and as high as 150% (yes, you read that right). Out here in Vegas, as a local, you can really get the run of the town if you tip well and get totally screwed if you get the rep of not tipping. But if you get the rep of tipping according to the service received, well, you'd be surprised at the "extras" you can get in this town, even above and beyond the usual 20%ers.

As someone who has worked food service before, I disagree with the entitlement of 20% concept wholeheartedly. I'll consider 15% my offer for a server doing what I expect.

I always took it as a challenge to squeeze more than 15% from a table. That was on me as a salesman, and I knew that going in. If I wasn't happy with what I was making, I worked better, took more tables, or found a new restaurant to work at.

The above said, I was taxed at 8% regardless of the rate of gratuity. If someone gave $0, I still paid for it in taxes. Also, many restaurants do claim Tip Credit against servers, and I avoided those restaurants as a server.

If a server goes above and beyond, I am more than happy to tip 30-50%. If they do the job, I'll give them 15-20%. If they do less than that, I might still give them 10-15%, but I'll also explain to the manager exactly what the server during wrong, and have gotten servers fired before.

As someone who has worked food service before, I disagree with the entitlement of 20% concept wholeheartedly. I'll consider 15% my offer for a server doing what I expect.

I always took it as a challenge to squeeze more than 15% from a table. That was on me as a salesman, and I knew that going in. If I wasn't happy with what I was making, I worked better, took more tables, or found a new restaurant to work at.

The above said, I was taxed at 8% regardless of the rate of gratuity. If someone gave $0, I still paid for it in taxes. Also, many restaurants do claim Tip Credit against servers, and I avoided those restaurants as a server.

If a server goes above and beyond, I am more than happy to tip 30-50%. If they do the job, I'll give them 15-20%. If they do less than that, I might still give them 10-15%, but I'll also explain to the manager exactly what the server during wrong, and have gotten servers fired before.

So, basically a server can either get tipped 50% from you or they can get fired because of you. A server's wet dream or worse nightmare. Hopefully, they do their job to your satisfaction.

So, basically a server can either get tipped 50% from you or they can get fired because of you. A server's wet dream or worse nightmare. Hopefully, they do their job to your satisfaction.

Correct. I tend to be more critical having done it. I am aware enough to pay attention to why they may be off, though. For example, if they get sat with four tables at one time, I won't fault them for being behind and would actually tip them more for the effort. But if they are simply standing around, I have less tolerance.