• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rinky-dink Angels radio

It's ridiculous when you think about it, cause you basically have two guys watching TV and then explaining to you what they see on TV. If they're away, I typically just listen to the home town broadcast. This gives the added benefit of getting to know the other team/players a bit better plus some of the teams have some really good radio personalities.

16 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Mark Langston is the only bright spot on the radio. Perceptive commentary, but sometimes you almost get the feeling he wants to let loose with, "man, this team sucks!"

He critiques in a way that doesn't seem obvious that he's blasting his employer. 

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Mark Langston is the only bright spot on the radio. Perceptive commentary, but sometimes you almost get the feeling he wants to let loose with, "man, this team sucks!"

Man I love listening to that dude. 

I enjoy listening to the radio broadcasts when I'm out doing yardwork, or chores around the house.

Probably not anymore because we suck...but what's all this talk about pumping in crowd noises?

Is this at the actual game like @AngelsLakersFan mentioned, or is it happening only on the radio broadcasts?

I don't recall anything feeling off with the crowd noise during the TV feeds.

28 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

Man I love listening to that dude. 

I enjoy listening to the radio broadcasts when I'm out doing yardwork, or chores around the house.

Probably not anymore because we suck...but what's all this talk about pumping in crowd noises?

Is this at the actual game like @AngelsLakersFan mentioned, or is it happening only on the radio broadcasts?

I don't recall anything feeling off with the crowd noise during the TV feeds.

Pretty sure it's during radio broadcasts when the team is away. Since the radio team doesn't actually travel with the team they have a sound guy just pump sound effects into the broadcast to simulate stadium noise.

28 minutes ago, BTH said:

I wouldn't be surprised if once Terry Smith retires, the Angels just have the TV broadcast simulcasted to the radio.

It's a shame that this seems to be the direction teams are taking. Baseball is the perfect sport for radio and when you're listening in to a TV broadcast you just miss certain details cause you don't have the visuals.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

They should add Langston to booth and simulcast.  Should have gotten rid of smith years ago.  

When I used to listen to the radio broadcast half of the play calls coming out of Smith's mouth were incorrect. I wasn't a fan of his overexcited dialog for warning track fly balls either.

"And Rendon belts one to deep left center field and it's caught to retire the side..."

12 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

When I used to listen to the radio broadcast half of the play calls coming out of Smith's mouth were incorrect. I wasn't a fan of his overexcited dialog for warning track fly balls either.

"And Rendon belts one to deep left center field and it's caught to retire the side..."

"...Angels go quietly. A seven-pitch inning." (said several hundred times at least)

"Chopper to third." (said several thousand times during Pujols' tenure here)

"Lazy fly ball to medium right/center/left field."

"...and that...is how...the inning...ends" (drives me crazy)

Are Angel radio games accessible anywhere beyond their local outlets? Just curious because I never sought them out. I don't want to pay for streaming since I'm already paying for the MLB Extra Innings TV package. 

When I lived in Montreal I was a fanatic radio listener to Expos games through the seventies/early eighties. My student days.  Haven't lived there since. Nor listened to radio broadcasts since then. 

It was great, but you have to realize that everything comes through the filter of the broadcasters. Some were/are more objective. Others consciously or subconsciously are less objective, being paid by the team. 

Dave Van Horn was really solid Expos play by play guy. "Up up and away" was his home run call. Maybe his best game ( available somewhere on the Internet) was the perfect game of Dennis Martinez against the Dodgers. "El Presidente (his nickname) El perfecto" Duke Snider was his long time color guy. Followed by Ken Singleton. I learned a lot about'inside baseball' from them.

Historically there are many iconic team and network broadcasters from mostly radio. I bought about thirty classic baseball games on audio cassette years ago. Complete world series, all star  games and some others, like Maris'61st homer game. From the thirties through sixties. Now you can find so many of those and more on a cd disk sold on eBay. 

I really recommend seeking some out. You get the feel of being there, and relive the mindset of how teams, players, and the overall baseball culture was like.