• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes thread

Great article.  Read the full thing if you can, but here are a couple of excerpts:

"TEMPE, Ariz. — It was only 1 p.m., less than halfway into Nolan Schanuel’s day-long, self-inflicted punishment. And he was already in excruciating pain.

The exercise regimen that the Los Angeles Angels rookie first baseman conducted over the offseason was not recommended to him by a fitness professional. It’s not grounded in any conventional wisdom. And to pretty much everyone in his orbit, it seemed downright ridiculous.

Schanuel spent two days a week this offseason standing. For the entire day. From the moment he woke up until the moment he went to bed. His only reprieve was for meals.

It was a routine that sounds far easier in theory than it is in actual practice. And one that required a great deal of mental and physical willpower to complete.

“The first time, I was losing my mind,” Schanuel said. “The first day it was 1 p.m. and I had lost my mind.”

“I made it,” he noted. “I don’t let myself fail. I can’t."

"And those confused by his regimen aren’t limited to those closest to him.

“It is (crazy),” said teammate Ben Joyce. “It’s interesting. I’ve honestly never heard of it. But if it works for him.”

“There’s a lot of methods,” said head Angels strength and conditioning coach Dylan Cintula, when asked about Schanuel’s exercise. “As long as he gets the results we need.”

The comment was more tongue-in-cheek. Cintula seemingly wanted to give a diplomatic answer to a question about an exercise foreign even to his expertise. Nonetheless, Cintula was unambiguous that Schanuel had reported to camp in improved shape."

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

“There’s a lot of methods,” said head Angels strength and conditioning coach Dylan Cintula, when asked about Schanuel’s exercise. “As long as he gets the results we need.”

The comment was more tongue-in-cheek. Cintula seemingly wanted to give a diplomatic answer to a question about an exercise foreign even to his expertise.

lol

22 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Great article.  Read the full thing if you can, but here are a couple of excerpts:

"TEMPE, Ariz. — It was only 1 p.m., less than halfway into Nolan Schanuel’s day-long, self-inflicted punishment. And he was already in excruciating pain.

The exercise regimen that the Los Angeles Angels rookie first baseman conducted over the offseason was not recommended to him by a fitness professional. It’s not grounded in any conventional wisdom. And to pretty much everyone in his orbit, it seemed downright ridiculous.

Schanuel spent two days a week this offseason standing. For the entire day. From the moment he woke up until the moment he went to bed. His only reprieve was for meals.

It was a routine that sounds far easier in theory than it is in actual practice. And one that required a great deal of mental and physical willpower to complete.

“The first time, I was losing my mind,” Schanuel said. “The first day it was 1 p.m. and I had lost my mind.”

“It is (crazy),” said teammate Ben Joyce. “It’s interesting. I’ve honestly never heard of it. But if it works for him.”

The comment was more tongue-in-cheek. Cintula seemingly wanted to give a diplomatic answer to a question about an exercise foreign even to his expertise. Nonetheless, Cintula was unambiguous that Schanuel had reported to camp in improved shape."

Does it say anywhere in the article that he did anything but stand all day? I mean, did he pick up some weights and do some forearm and bicep curls, do deadlifts and squats?

Would love to see some power in his bat this year.

6 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Does it say anywhere in the article that he did anything but stand all day? I mean, did he pick up some weights and do some forearm and bicep curls, do deadlifts and squats?

Yeah, he does this 2 days a week and typical workouts on other days. It was because he started feeling sluggish and tired late in games and he thought this would help acclimate him to that.

But the all-stand thing applies to nearly everything...traveling only by walking, etc., and the article mentions several times this doesn't really have any sort of precedent or backing for something that works. To each their own...

Edited by totdprods

17 minutes ago, Chuck said:

So would he. 

28 minutes ago, Chuck said:

"He’d even walk to the gym — no driving was allowed, of course — where he’d do full-body workouts, including leg drills."

and

“I feel like my legs have gotten bigger from it,” Schanuel said. “Doing leg workouts, I feel stronger. I feel more enduring. I can do more throughout the day. I feel so much better on my feet than I was last season.

“If you stand throughout the day, it can’t be a bad thing.”

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Really love me some Nolan...!

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sosh weighs in… 😭

IMG_3216.jpeg