• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Today: Angels Alberto Rios is worth every pound of his Top 5 prospect status

by Ryan Falla

The Angels have found themselves well short on veritable game changers as the last decade has seen them skid through season after season with disappointing results. While most look for answers at the Major League level with free agency and the trade market the most sustainable path towards extended success, aside from ownership, rests within the talent depth at the minor league level.  Prospect talent may not be the most immediate answer to Major League woes, but for an organization like the Angels it is the most necessary. There is more opportunity for long term organizational success found within the Angels prospect depth than in what we've seen in many years with the organizations recent Top 10 Prospect rankings. One of their more exciting prospects on that Top 10 list is the naturally advanced right handed hitting OF/IN Alberto Rios. His 2023 season with Stanford saw the young star breakout with a performance that resulted in Pac 12 Player of the Year recognitions as he played his way into draft considerations with just one full season of play-time. His 1.191 OPS across the 242 AB season saw Rios slug 18 HRs and 24 doubles with 73 RBIs while aptly balancing his BB/K rate with 38 BB’s to 42 K’s. The impressive nature of his K/BB rate is further magnified when considering his lack of live experience up to his junior season. Rios set many records during his time with Stanford despite having just one full season of play, including the schools single game RBI record with an 11 RBI, 3 HR game (3/5/23) as well as a full season doubles total (24) that ranked as the third highest in school history. There is a stark maturity in the disciplined power hitter despite entering his breakout junior season with seven collective pinch hit AB's across his freshman and sophomore seasons combined. Where most would resign themselves to the bench, Rios found it necessary to force himself into the conversation, and just one season later Rios is now firmly entrenched as the Angels #4 ranked prospect heading into the 2024 season. 

“I was around a lot of really good baseball players at Stanford. I was able to stay with them on a daily basis and pick their brain. I got to see two seasons of superstars and see what works for them. How they carry themselves whether things were going good or bad. I was doing the daily work with them, in the cages and doing machine work with them. If I could do it here [behind the scenes] and match up with them it should be no different in a game as long as I'm out there competing and trying to win.”

One of Rios’ more underrated offensive qualities is his threat on the base paths, a quality which he displayed in spades at Stanford. Despite being seen as a hit over speed athlete he came around to score 69 times for the school while also stealing five bases. He logged a run in 46 of his 63 games played, a stat which immediately translated to his time in Low A as he scored runs in more than half of his games played while also stealing seven bags in half the AB’s he had with Stanford. It’s easy to look past his sneaky baserunning skills when the bat speaks as loudly as it does, but as is Rios is an elite threat to get himself on the board through any means necessary. For someone as talented with the bat as Rios is, to present yourself as a threat to break a game open on the base paths is a quality that will elevate his game to an elite level at the big leagues. Especially for a team like the Angels who have struggled with implementing impactful baserunning at the Major League level.

“As you go up you see faster speeds, the game tends to speed up. The game gets a little better. How slow can you slow your game down to match that edge? You're playing the same game you played since you were eight years old, you just learn to slow the game down. As you go into the higher levels of baseball you need to get simpler. How can I slow things down and get simple, get back to what baseball is about?”

Rios elite production is no accident; his advanced approach sees him employ a compact swing that limits his strikeout total, and when paired with an above average sense of discipline you often see Rios force pitchers into throwing his pitch. This all comes to a head in the batters box for Rios as his ability to tap into his raw power sees him barrel up favorable pitches on a regular basis. You have to wonder what a full season of professional development will do considering these elite qualities were developed over just 301 ABs across the last three years. Further considering Rios developed his qualities by observing and emulating the routines of the stars around him (a game changing quality for a prospect aiming for Major League success) a full season of absorbing the experience at the professional level will likely catapult the star to a break out sometime in 2024.  

“I practice for every situation that could happen. Once the season starts you don't really know how it's gonna work out or what's gonna happen. Seeing what guys did beforehand helped me, but actually being in there was a different story. Experiencing it myself was a very humbling and an awesome opportunity. How can I bring my skills and my personality to the game? And I think that's what it was, seeing how my personality would mix into playing the game.”

The Angels are looking to find a defensive home for Rios heading into 2024, though his experience covering multiple positions should allay concerns as to whether or not he will find a defensive footing. Although Rios spent his time as a left-fielder last season the Angels will employ him as a catcher this season, a position he had previous experience with during his time at Stanford. His 2023 season may have seen him break out as a left-fielder, but his college career started by transitioning to a catcher role as an infielder out of high school. Rios spent his freshman and sophomore seasons as the bullpen catcher for Stanford and will use that experience as a springboard to launch his 2024 season. 

"Being an infielder and then transitioning to catcher freshman year of college was definitely a transition. But as time went on I got to pick the brain of some guys at Stanford and some guys here [Low A] and see what works for them. Luckily I've been able to get behind the dish at school and over here with the Angels. My hands have always worked pretty well as a catcher. My footwork from being an infielder helps. The durability of getting your body right to play each and every day is key. How can I prepare my body the right way going into a season so I can sustain a long season? That's something I've never had to think about until now.”

The final stretch of his 2023 season ended with Rios heating up over a six game hitting streak as the young star continued his run scoring pace with four runs in those final six games. Rios would also see an extended hit streak earlier in August which saw him pick up 7 RBI’s with 2 HR’s and 4 runs scored in his first full month with the Low A 66ers. While most of his Low A season was a learning experience in finding acclimation to a professional environment there were enough flashes of his elite upside to offer confidence, and enthusiasm, in the coming developmental track for Rios. Just as he forced his bat into the conversation with Stanford it is very feasible he will do the same with the Angels sooner rather than later. His natural hitting tools are the definition of advanced beyond his years, and with legitimate development there is a real chance to tap into his elite abilities at the Major League level. There are some who believe he will have a quick rise to the Majors once his bat becomes fully accustomed to the professional speed of the game, and though it is still too early to read the tea leaves for an MLB debut date he has a legitimate chance to break in as early as 2025. All in all, what the Angels have to look forward to in Alberto Rios is an immediate game changer on the field who can use the experience of those around him to make himself better, two qualities the Angels have had in short supply this last decade. Patience will be rewarded with Rios in Anaheim, as it was in Stanford.  

“This game is very fragile, very similar to life. I had the opportunity to be on the field and live within those white lines. I felt appreciative and grateful, I had a huge sense of gratitude to be out there playing this beautiful game. You only have such a short amount of time to do it in your life. Being out there was an unbelievable experience, it made me appreciate what the game is and what it's done for me so far in my life.”

View the full article

3 hours ago, greginpsca said:

To me, this guy has 3rd base written all over him.

I'm wondering why they are trying him at catcher over 3rd base.

He'd presumably be at high A, maybe even finish at AA this year right? A position change is just going to delay him.