• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rest of the offseason, post Shohei.

Warfarin

As it stands today the Angels are looking at having 4 of the top 83 picks in the MLB draft -- given the needs at both the MLB level and long term -- I'd be hesitant to sign anyone that would cost them a pick.

So with that in mind.

Best possible option among SPs is Jordan Montgomery -- like Snell he's another LHP and some of you think that's a non-starter.  Well, the next best option among non LHPs are Stroman, Clevinger, and Lorenzen -- both Clevinger and Lorenzen's projections for 2024 are brutal with ERA near 5.00 -- basically the same as Tyler Anderson.  Lucas Giolito who everyone here has soured on is sitting at 4.31.  If you're looking at a potential value guy -- the projections have Manaea as a 2 fWAR pitcher with an ERA around 4.25.  Montas is another guy who projects well but nobody has any real clue to expect because of injury, he's talented but a pure reclamation project right now.

IMO, Montgomery despite his handedness is likely the surest bet and incredibly despite his awful showing last season Anaheim, Giolito may end up being a value guy.  I need to really pour over his predictive stuff but this may be a case of his being a tall midget.

OF

People seem to really like Hernadez and Soler because past power numbers.  Soler has the better projection at 1.9 fWAR, Hernandez is at 1.4.  Both are expected to cost more than Gurriel Jr who is younger and not the nightmare defensively the other two are.  Harrison Bader has a really rosy projection but like all the others is a RHB.  If they want to look for a LHB the best two options are the defensively talented Kiermaier, and the defensively challenged Joc Pedersen.   Joey Gallo still exists, still hits bombs, can still play defense but hasn't hit above above .200 since 2018 and has only hit above .209 once in his entire MLB career -- oh yeah his K rate was back over 40% last season.

My first choice would be Gurriel Jr -- Joc Pederson may be cheaper and as a LHP brings something to the table as well.

IF

Probably the ugliest portion of the FA crop.  Amed Rosario and Isiah Kiner-Falefa are likely the most well rounded, but neither brings much pop..  If you want more pop then you have Rowdy Tellez and Dom Smith as guys who can go yard but haven't lived up to their early "hype" -- Smith is a lefty and rarely Ks, so he's got that going for him.  Neither guy can play anywhere in the IF other than at 1B.  Michael Chavis is another guy I'd list as still existing. He can play all over the IF, he's just never lived up to what even the most modest of projections for him were.  In some ways he's this generation's Grant Green.  Urshela and his single hip are out there too and is the eternal FA Jurickson Profar.

Justin Turner is 100 years old, but at least his bat still worked last year but another RHB

There really isn't anything worth spending anything other than the least possible $$$ among the IF options but I do kind of like Dom Smith as a possible value guy -- mostly because he's a LHB.

RPs are all over the place -- lots of guys who could possibly help or be awul like every other off-season.  There are names available still Moore, Nerris, Hicks, Chapman, Matsui, Fujinami, Stanek (he looked bad last season), but as always "RPs are flakes" -- @Blarg

If the best way to respectability is to try to add guys in the 1.5-2 fWAR range then the best option is likely to add SPs and look to trade from whatever depth is created there.  Detmers/Sandoval/Canning are all projected to be 2 fWAR guys -- Silseth could get there with 150+ innings.

In conclusion...

This is a bad FA crop/four picks in the top 83

Pick your poison.  

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

As it stands today the Angels are looking at having 4 of the top 83 picks in the MLB draft -- given the needs at both the MLB level and long term -- I'd be hesitant to sign anyone that would cost them a pick.

So with that in mind.

Best possible option among SPs is Jordan Montgomery -- like Snell he's another LHP and some of you think that's a non-starter.  Well, the next best option among non LHPs are Stroman, Clevinger, and Lorenzen -- both Clevinger and Lorenzen's projections for 2024 are brutal with ERA near 5.00 -- basically the same as Tyler Anderson.  Lucas Giolito who everyone here has soured on is sitting at 4.31.  If you're looking at a potential value guy -- the projections have Manaea as a 2 fWAR pitcher with an ERA around 4.25.  Montas is another guy who projects well but nobody has any real clue to expect because of injury, he's talented but a pure reclamation project right now.

IMO, Montgomery despite his handedness is likely the surest bet and incredibly despite his awful showing last season Anaheim, Giolito may end up being a value guy.  I need to really pour over his predictive stuff but this may be a case of his being a tall midget.

OF

People seem to really like Hernadez and Soler because past power numbers.  Soler has the better projection at 1.9 fWAR, Hernandez is at 1.4.  Both are expected to cost more than Gurriel Jr who is younger and not the nightmare defensively the other two are.  Harrison Bader has a really rosy projection but like all the others is a RHB.  If they want to look for a LHB the best two options are the defensively talented Kiermaier, and the defensively challenged Joc Pedersen.   Joey Gallo still exists, still hits bombs, can still play defense but hasn't hit above above .200 since 2018 and has only hit above .209 once in his entire MLB career -- oh yeah his K rate was back over 40% last season.

My first choice would be Gurriel Jr -- Joc Pederson may be cheaper and as a LHP brings something to the table as well.

IF

Probably the ugliest portion of the FA crop.  Amed Rosario and Isiah Kiner-Falefa are likely the most well rounded, but neither brings much pop..  If you want more pop then you have Rowdy Tellez and Dom Smith as guys who can go yard but haven't lived up to their early "hype" -- Smith is a lefty and rarely Ks, so he's got that going for him.  Neither guy can play anywhere in the IF other than at 1B.  Michael Chavis is another guy I'd list as still existing. He can play all over the IF, he's just never lived up to what even the most modest of projections for him were.  In some ways he's this generation's Grant Green.  Urshela and his single hip are out there too and is the eternal FA Jurickson Profar.

Justin Turner is 100 years old, but at least his bat still worked last year but another RHB

There really isn't anything worth spending anything other than the least possible $$$ among the IF options but I do kind of like Dom Smith as a possible value guy -- mostly because he's a LHB.

RPs are all over the place -- lots of guys who could possibly help or be awul like every other off-season.  There are names available still Moore, Nerris, Hicks, Chapman, Matsui, Fujinami, Stanek (he looked bad last season), but as always "RPs are flakes" -- @Blarg

If the best way to respectability is to try to add guys in the 1.5-2 fWAR range then the best option is likely to add SPs and look to trade from whatever depth is created there.  Detmers/Sandoval/Canning are all projected to be 2 fWAR guys -- Silseth could get there with 150+ innings.

In conclusion...

This is a bad FA crop/four picks in the top 83

Pick your poison.  

Just save the bullets!

Either that or Minasian has to get really creative in constructing a impressive team next year that does not sacrifice talent in coming years.

Don't ask me how..It's not my job, it's his.

3 hours ago, REDneck said:

Just save the bullets!

Either that or Minasian has to get really creative in constructing a impressive team next year that does not sacrifice talent in coming years.

Don't ask me how..It's not my job, it's his.

Maybe not save all the bullets, just don't over commit to lesser quality.

39 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Good, he stinks!

17 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Something to consider... Minasian is in the last year of his contract. How will that impact what he does?

Every year I want the team to sign the best players at positions of need. With us getting 4 of the top 83 picks I’m reluctant to want Bellinger and Snell. I’d probably go Montgomery and look at a left handed bat on the trade market. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Every year I want the team to sign the best players at positions of need. With us getting 4 of the top 83 picks I’m reluctant to want Bellinger and Snell. I’d probably go Montgomery and look at a left handed bat on the trade market. 

I get that, but what does that have to do with Minasian's contract status?

Just now, T.G. said:

I get that, but what does that have to do with Minasian's contract status?

I have no idea when his contract expires. Remember they fired Eppler and we all assumed his contract was up but he actually had signed an extension?  Also you didn’t ask about his contract status you asked about what impact his status would have on building the team this off season. I shared my reluctance to build a team from a shortsighted point of view. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea when his contract expires. Remember they fired Eppler and we all assumed his contract was up but he actually had signed an extension?  Also you didn’t ask about his contract status you asked about what impact his status would have on building the team this off season. I shared my reluctance to build a team from a shortsighted point of view. 

I was asking how it will impact how Minasian will build the team. Will he try to win now and not care about the picks or is he looking both short and long term?

2 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I was asking how it will impact how Minasian will build the team. Will he try to win now and not care about the picks or is he looking both short and long term?

Oh ok. It won’t. He will sign guys that he think help the team regardless of his situation. Granted this is an assumption. 

Is it time to take a step back? Try and get younger this off season. Giants willing to trade young controllable pitchers and looking for INF help. Drury is a good trade chip now see what you can get for him. Same with Carlos Esteviz even with his horrible second has some value. Only sign FA on one year deal this off season save money for 2025. I'm for building for future of this team. Perry and Arte have been very quiet this off season I'm thinking maybe a major change is coming. First thing that comes to mind is Arte selling team and not adding any big contracts this off season.

I really don't see anyone out there that hits left handed that moves Moniac out of the outfield or replaces what Ward and Adell bring to the plate as right handers. We have a cost controlled outfield, why add an expense where it isn't needed? 

On the infield I see no reason to move the young core, as is Schanuel hits left handed and Rengifo switch hits. If you want to find a left handed hitting 3rd baseman/utility fielder, fine, but again the Angels have switch hitting Rengifo. I'd rather quality hitters over simply a left or right handed hitter. 

Pitching, pitching, pitching. That will make or break the Angels next season, not if they have another left handed bat on the bench. 

Pitching and health. Throw in some Ron Washington and I think that will be our off season.

33 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really don't see anyone out there that hits left handed that moves Moniac out of the outfield or replaces what Ward and Adell bring to the plate as right handers. We have a cost controlled outfield, why add an expense where it isn't needed? 

On the infield I see no reason to move the young core, as is Schanuel hits left handed and Rengifo switch hits. If you want to find a left handed hitting 3rd baseman/utility fielder, fine, but again the Angels have switch hitting Rengifo. I'd rather quality hitters over simply a left or right handed hitter. 

Pitching, pitching, pitching. That will make or break the Angels next season, not if they have another left handed bat on the bench. 

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

If halos added Lugo and Wacha like KC did rotation would really be deep. Now not many starters left with every team needing them. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

If halos added Lugo and Wacha like KC did rotation would really be deep. Now not many starters left with every team needing them. 

Yeah, that was a great move by KC!  I would have loved to add those two, I wonder if Perry even tried?

17 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

In Matsui's first negotiations with the Cardinals on December 14th, he was offered a multi-year contract.
He said, "If possible, I would like to make a decision in December. I think there will be a stage where I can continue to grow."
He plans to stay in the United States and wait for offers from other teams.

(Reference in Japanese) Sports Hochi on December 17, 2023