• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I was talking to a coach today from a team my son was playing and Dino Ebels son plays 4 him. Dino told him that 2 years ago the Dodgers offered 6 top prospects plus May for Ohtani and Arte rejected them ..Yes i believe what i was told cause Dino was there today 

Unless you know someone who plays Xbox with Scott Kazmir, I don't believe it.

1 minute ago, Ron Mexico said:

Really don't matter what u believe that's what i was told 

It’s really not that hard of a story to believe. 

I mean even if you’re lying, I’m sure we had offers on the table two years ago with similar value. Arte / Perry are fucking idiots for not trading him. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

If the DH had been a thing in the NL 6 years ago, he wouldn't have ever been an Angel.

Yeah... I realized that about 2 years ago. It was literaly the one thing that stopped him from being a Dodger in the first place.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

@Chuck, we NEED a whiskey fueled podcast with Victor Rojas STAT

Geoff and I just recorded one. Just when it ended my power went out and a tornado touched down in my area, sirens ensued. 

Tons of damage in my surrounding area to buildings, homes, grocery stores and churches. 

What a crazy day... but hey, I had a few bourbons on our show. 

16 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Geoff and I just recorded one. Just when it ended my power went out and a tornado touched down in my area, sirens ensued. 

Tons of damage in my surrounding area to buildings, homes, grocery stores and churches. 

What a crazy day... but hey, I had a few bourbons on our show.

13 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Supposedly, it 2m per season and the other 680m is deferred.  Which works out to about 52m per as far as the CBT is calculated.  

You're joking, right?

Fangraphs speculated $30M/year with the other $40M deferred in four-year increments, so $10/year for 40 years. Hard to see that. I could see $20M over 20 years, though.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

You're joking, right?

Fangraphs speculated $30M/year with the other $40M deferred in four-year increments, so $10/year for 40 years. Hard to see that. I could see $20M over 20 years, though.

I see the benefit for both team and player…but that’s bs as far as salary cap is concerned. It should just be years/value. 

And from August first of 2023, the Angels had zero shot of keeping him.  Their only chance to prove to Shohei that they could do what was necessary to win was 2023.  Just prior to the deadline they were within shouting distance of the wild card.  Injuries had piled up and Perry was essentially forced to make a bunch of trades to maintain what he was able to piece together from earlier in the season.  The problem was that his deadline was an absolute miserable failure that ultimately left the team with 73 wins and zero chance to re-sign him.  If you pull out all of the stops and end up with 73 wins while going 17-38 over the final 55 games of a must win season, you have zero chance to keep a guy who's main priority is winning.  

The long term success of any baseball franchise is the farm system.  You might be able to occasionally piece together a halfway decent team via the free agent market and some trades, but ultimately, to create sustainable winning, you need to have a capable farm system.  This is not a mystery to any of us.   

And it's not just about having a young, club controlled, major league team.  You always need to worry about the next guy.  Injury and poor performance happen as we've seen.  Over and Over and Over.  

Having Ohtani and Trout.  Two generational players and not being able to piece together a winner just tells you how important this really is.  And the real kick in the teeth is that the farm was kinda moving in the right direction yet to convince Ohtani to stay, you have to essentially put a major dent in what little progress the system had made.   And because they're stubborn and short-sighted as a franchise as they've been for the last 20 years, they were never going to trade their golden goose for what is actually even more important that a Unicorn.  

So here we stand once again.  With the worst farm in baseball.  Yes, there is some young talent on this roster but in order to win it will take everyone reaching their potential and very few, if any, injuries.  

I actually don't care that they didn't keep Shohei for that kind of money.  I'm most annoyed because of the double bitch slap at the end.  Not trading him AND selling off a bunch of prospects to try and keep him.  Recently I have wanted to believe that this franchise was doing things to move in the right direction.  Nope, they just doubled down and put themselves in a lose lose.  

I really don't think I'm gonna feel a lot of positivity toward this team until Arte no longer owns it.