• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You know how we aren’t sure Snell is worth the money?  Imagine being the Yankees and basically having to allocate more than twice as much with the 110% tax 

Angels trade Sandoval to the Yankees for prospects (6th) Roderick Arias (SS) and (10th) Ben Rice (C) and sign Snell. Yankees stay under the cap and get club control, Angels get two high prospects. 

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

I’m not sure why Arte would be so stuck on opt outs. It’s not like Rendon and Pujols not having opt outs has really benefited anyone.

I kinda like the idea of signing a guy who is motivated to perform over the next couple years so he can get the hell out of Anaheim.

Again, for me, it's just the opt-out after the first season that is hugely problematic. I'd be less concerned if it was after the second year. 

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I’m not sure why Arte would be so stuck on opt outs. It’s not like Rendon and Pujols not having opt outs has really benefited anyone.

I kinda like the idea of signing a guy who is motivated to perform over the next couple years so he can get the hell out of Anaheim.

Because you are giving up a pick to sign him. 

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I very much doubt Adell and Moniak would be regularly used as DH.  One will be a starter and the other will be the 4th OF.  You also have Hicks, so something already has to give.

Martinez doesn’t really change that.

Halos have 5 OF if you leave DH open Trout, Rendon, Drury among others could DH. Martinez is just a DH does not play in the field. Martinez will not be part of halo future in 2025, 2026 and beyond. Let's see if Moniak or Adell will be part of that future. Only way to find out is let them play this year. 

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Halos have 5 OF if you leave DH open Trout, Rendon, Drury among others could DH. Martinez is just a DH does not play in the field. Martinez will not be part of halo future in 2025, 2026 and beyond. Let's see if Moniak or Adell will be part of that future. Only way to find out is let them play this year. 

I very much doubt Adell and Moniak would be regularly used as DH.  One will be a starter and the other will be the 4th OF.  You also have Hicks, so something already has to give.

Martinez doesn’t really change that.

6 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If they sign Snell then JD makes a ton of sense. 

With Snell posting eyes Sunday, Olney and other small timers saying he wants to go to the Angels or that they believed it would be, and the lack of suitors out there (Yanks seem to be a pretty firm no), it seems very odd that a deal hasn't gotten done. And I just have this sinking feeling that it's all going to come down to Arte, and that we will hear soon that Arte refused to give ___ or ____. And he won't ever have to answer for it, and Snell will wind up on the Mariners on a discount deal beating us 4 times a year. 

The guy loves Orange County and has been here all offseason for crying out loud. With a baby on the way. He has clearly leaked that he wants to play here. He fell right into their laps -- nobody else is in position to sign him. And they're still going to mess this up? Only an Arte-led team could manage to botch this so badly. 

If it is not giving up the draft choice, I can understand that, maybe.  But, signing Snell also would give the Angels a starting pitching surplus, if there is any such thing.  

One SP to trade, with a couple of teams woefully short in SP, like the Yankees and Red Sox appear to be, offers an opportunity to replenish the farm system after last summer, when we dealt two or three of our top prospects away in deals that obviously didn't work.  

4 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

If it is not giving up the draft choice, I can understand that, maybe.  But, signing Snell also would give the Angels a starting pitching surplus, if there is any such thing.  

One SP to trade, with a couple of teams woefully short in SP, like the Yankees and Red Sox appear to be, offers an opportunity to replenish the farm system after last summer, when we dealt two or three of our top prospects away in deals that obviously didn't work.  

Saw someone on Twitter propose signing Snell then trading Sandoval to NYY for some prospect(s) which would help to makeup for the draft pick loss and I have to say I like that idea

Gonna also mention here that the report that Giants were in on Cease trade talks means they’ve almost have to be having discussions with Snell, which could explain the holdup 

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Because you are giving up a pick to sign him. 

Meh. He seemed overly casual with trading prospects for Gio last season as well as not caring about prospects in not trading Ohtani. Now suddenly a pick is this valuable?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying he's a mess

4 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Meh. He seemed overly casual with trading prospects for Gio last season as well as not caring about prospects in not trading Ohtani. Now suddenly a pick is this valuable?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying he's a mess

I’m not talking about Arte’s opinion, Arte has never given an opt out so I can assume his opinion is not to give them out. I’m talking about a fan or GM being ok with an opt out after year one on a guy with draft pick compensation attached. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I’m not talking about Arte’s opinion, Arte has never given an opt out so I can assume his opinion is not to give them out. I’m talking about a fan or GM being ok with an opt out after year one on a guy with draft pick compensation attached. 

The only reason snell would utilize an opt out after year 1 would be because he was having a great year. If that's the case we could trade him for something more valuable than the pick we surrendered.

Overall I agree it's not ideal, but then give the guy 6 years.

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

With Snell posting eyes Sunday, Olney and other small timers saying he wants to go to the Angels or that they believed it would be, and the lack of suitors out there (Yanks seem to be a pretty firm no), it seems very odd that a deal hasn't gotten done. And I just have this sinking feeling that it's all going to come down to Arte, and that we will hear soon that Arte refused to give ___ or ____. And he won't ever have to answer for it, and Snell will wind up on the Mariners on a discount deal beating us 4 times a year. 

The guy loves Orange County and has been here all offseason for crying out loud. With a baby on the way. He has clearly leaked that he wants to play here. He fell right into their laps -- nobody else is in position to sign him. And they're still going to mess this up? Only an Arte-led team could manage to botch this so badly. 

As of now, no team in baseball has signed Snell.

And we are preemptively concluding that Arte Moreno has “botched” this situation.

OK.