• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

50 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

I don't think anyone would give him a 1 year deal or an opt out after1 year when it's going to cost you a 2nd round draft choice.

Very steep price.

2 hours ago, drpiranha said:

I don't think anyone would give him a 1 year deal or an opt out after1 year when it's going to cost you a 2nd round draft choice.

I don’t think it’s a smart idea, but it’s worth noting that the Angels did give up a second round pick to sign Syndergaard on a one-year deal.

So it’s not out of the question, but the bigger issue is I don’t think Arte is a fan of giving opt-outs.

Edited by BTH

I’ve conceded to the fact that we aren’t planning on competing this year and we are basically looking at the team we will roll with. 

The soft rebuild is necessary, as much as we all wanted to become a playoff contender in an offseason. 

While already pessimistic about their chances after what I was told months ago, I now believe there is no shot the Angels sign either Snell or Montgomery.

I think it’s time to accept the fact that the team that we have now is the club they’re going into the season with unless there’s a significant injury or really poor performances and these guys are still out there later on this spring. 

There’s always the slight chance that Arte wakes up in a good mood one day and decides to go for it this late, though he did that with Vlad back in 2004. Still, I have my doubts. 

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean it's fine, but I am truly baffled by this offseason. Spent $30 million on the bullpen but fuck all on the rotation? Also no infield depth? 

Wtf are they doing?

I think it's stupid, but in theory, the strategy could simply be bulk up the bullpen as much as you can to make up for a mediocre starting staff.  It doesn't seem like a particularly smart thing to do, but hey, nothing else has worked in the past few years. 

1 hour ago, TroutField said:

I’ve conceded to the fact that we aren’t planning on competing this year and we are basically looking at the team we will roll with. 

The soft rebuild is necessary, as much as we all wanted to become a playoff contender in an offseason. 

Personally I'm over the rebuild. They had so many chances to rebuild or "soft rebuild" the last few years, but didn't take them.

Last season was the worst. They had a chance to significantly change the future and once again went for it when the writing was on the wall. 

At this point, just spend the money or the sell the team. If they sign Snell or Montgomery I may come to a few games this year to watch them pitch. Otherwise, it will be the first season since I was born that I didn't attend an Angels game.

If Arte wants to always commit to competing then he needs to put his money where his mouth is.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86
That being said, I understand that at the end of the day it's up to the player where they want to sign. I just really hope it doesn't come down to money.

All this talk of this year being a rebuild and seeing what we have in guys already on the roster but we gave Robert fking Stephenson $11mill a year ?? I don’t buy it, I know we aren’t one pitcher or one bat away from a title but doesn’t mean we can’t sign players to simply make us better and more competitive 

1 hour ago, Ochocinco! said:

All this talk of this year being a rebuild and seeing what we have in guys already on the roster but we gave Robert fking Stephenson $11mill a year ?? I don’t buy it, I know we aren’t one pitcher or one bat away from a title but doesn’t mean we can’t sign players to simply make us better and more competitive 

Agree. We really think Arte said, “Ok you have $30 million. That’s all.” And Perry said cool, all $30 on the bullpen and we’re going to spend 1/3 of our entire budget on Robert Stephenson. 

Don’t believe that. 

We have to accept the reality of what this roster is today.

This is not a roster to “rebuild.” It’s already pretty darn young, already with lots of guys with upside and controllable years.

If they want to win, this is a roster to add to.

Whether they can or will add to it remains to be seen.

But if they can’t add to this roster, calling for a rebuild as a reaction to the bland, uneventful offseason fully ignores what this roster actually is today.

The next best thing to do outside of adding to this roster is to just wait and let this group develop.

Unless people have a different definition of “rebuild” than me, I just don’t understand the call to rebuild.

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

So the Rays clearly like this dude. 

I'll take their opinion over whatever the fuck happened here.

Isnt it a minor league deal? They are thin at catching. Probably more of, "we could do worse".  But okay. 

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Agree. We really think Arte said, “Ok you have $30 million. That’s all.” And Perry said cool, all $30 on the bullpen and we’re going to spend 1/3 of our entire budget on Robert Stephenson. 

Don’t believe that. 

If that actually is the case, Perry’s gonna be unemployed in October.

Let’s say they were going to look at this year as a transition year with $30 million to add in salary. You don’t sign a reliever to a 3 year $33 million deal. You overpay for relief arms on one year deals to flip at the deadline. So again I don’t think they are done. It doesn’t make sense even for Arte. 

I believe the moves they have made support the theory that they either did, or still do, want to add a quality starter.  If they don’t sign one, it will be because the price was way outside what they think the price should be.

And given that nobody has signed Snell or Montgomery, it makes sense that maybe it’s because the asking price is outside of what everybody believes it should be.

If the price doesn’t change, it seems like Angels won’t be the team that signs one of them.  If it does soften, I believe the Angel might be the team that acts.

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I believe the moves they have made support the theory that they either did, or still do, want to add a quality starter.  If they don’t sign one, it will be because the price was way outside what they think the price should be.

And given that nobody has signed Snell or Montgomery, it makes sense that maybe it’s because the asking price is outside of what everybody believes it should be.

If the price doesn’t change, it seems like Angels won’t be the team that signs one of them.  If it does soften, I believe the Angel might be the team that acts.

This exactly. Arte has been burned a few times, he’s not showing his hand. Really hard to believe different because he’s not cheep , his spending hasn’t worked out well. I think he and Minasian are the only 2 that know the plan. They’ve always operated quietly.