• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

I don't feel bad for Perry in any way, not that anyone asked. 

I am not "mad" they haven't signed an expensive or big name guy. I'll be fine if they do, probably not too upset if they don't.

But when you talk the way he's talked (more on that in a minute), hire Ron Washington+Porter+EYS, lose Ohtani (more on that), brag about it, then Ron talks the way he's talked about running down the West, returning to greatness, and winning...you had better show everyone that you mean it. And I think blaming the market or Arte for a lack of progress is pretty ignorant. It doesn't seem like he has a plan. 

Finally, the reason I don't feel bad for him is that in addition to promising the world and delivering a gas station sandwich collection of pitchers so far, HE is choosing to work for Arte. If Arte is really as controlling as some think, refusing to allow Perry to make a single move or transaction, why would you ever want to work for someone like that? I get there are only 30 GM jobs and the prestige, but it makes Perry seem like an extremely incompetent GM. You're fine being seen as a joke and the guy that lost Ohtani, wasted Trout, and couldn't surround him with talent so you could be a figurehead GM? That's not worth it to me. Go be an AGM somewhere and prepare for the next job. 

im neutral on perry but these two points are kinda bad.

1. if arte isnt spending then what can perry possibly do? how can you sign anybody if youre not allowed to sign anybody?

2. plenty of people work for shitty bosses all the time. this is one of the staples of society. also i dont think he's viewed as any of those, tho. right or wrong, losing ohtani and trout being "wasted" are all laid at arte's feet. if anything, working for artes given any gm under him a get out of jail free card.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

I am mystified that they haven’t at least signed some one year deals with decent enough players in the meantime, since the Bally’s issue doesn’t impact 2024.

They are still some $65-70 million under the 2024 tax threshold.

This is what I mean about Arte. I really don’t believe Arte told Perry he can’t spend on $4-8 million guys. And that seems to be more what we’re going to do. And I strongly agree with @totdprods that if they said they wanted to surround the young guys with vets to mentor them, we’d be fine with it. But Perry’s talking like he’s going to build a great team to win the WS. Sending completely mixed signals accomplishes nothing. 

5 minutes ago, 3pitchwalk said:

im neutral on perry but these two points are kinda bad.

1. if arte isnt spending then what can perry possibly do? how can you sign anybody if youre not allowed to sign anybody?

2. plenty of people work for shitty bosses all the time. this is one of the staples of society. also i dont think he's viewed as any of those, tho. right or wrong, losing ohtani and trout being "wasted" are all laid at arte's feet. if anything, working for artes given any gm under him a get out of jail free card.

How do we know Arte told Perry he can’t spend at all? Perry has made small signings. In fact the small guaranteed $1 million deals are guys that may spend the year in AAA. Which means they need to be replaced by other guys getting paid at a ML rate. It could be wasted money. And most attractive teams build depth this way with minor league deals. Perry has permission to build, at least some depth with guaranteed deals. That’s more expensive. And it tells me that the checkbook isn’t locked shut, and that there is a certain level of autonomy with smaller deals. This is what I believe. And if you are going to tell me, there is a complete spending freeze on any level, my response is that at least I have a small amount of evidence.

2 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I don't feel bad for Perry in any way, not that anyone asked. 

I am not "mad" they haven't signed an expensive or big name guy. I'll be fine if they do, probably not too upset if they don't.

But when you talk the way he's talked (more on that in a minute), hire Ron Washington+Porter+EYS, lose Ohtani (more on that), brag about it, then Ron talks the way he's talked about running down the West, returning to greatness, and winning...you had better show everyone that you mean it. And I think blaming the market or Arte for a lack of progress is pretty ignorant. It doesn't seem like he has a plan. 

Perry has said the following quotes about the offseason:

"There's lots of players that would love to play for [Wash]. We've heard that echoed all offseason."
"There's still a ton of players out there; guys that can help this team, make this team better and we will explore."
"We want guys that want to play. We have some guys that are motivated. We want to add to that, bring some edge to the group." 
"(Pitching) is definitely a priority, whether it's the rotation or the bullpen. We can use help in both areas." 
Garcia and Cimber improved the "depth overall of the bullpen."
“This is a group that wants to win ... It's still early in the sense of a market standpoint and what's available. So we'll continue to have discussions, whether it be free agents or whether it be through trade, and we'll see where the offseason takes us.”
(On the White/Thomas deal:) "The deal gave us some financial flexibility, which will allow us to pursue some other players. 

"You can never have enough (starters), right?" 
“We're looking to improve, and we’re looking at all areas...I know everybody rolls their eyes. But you guys watched this. We can improve everywhere. I don't think anybody's gonna argue with me on that. We can improve in the bullpen, in the rotation, the lineup, from a run-prevention standpoint and defensively.”

He said this on the possibility of losing Ohtani: 

“We've spent a lot of time up to this point, going through 1,000 different scenarios.” Minasian said. “So 'difficult' would be the wrong word. I think we have to be able to make adjustments. We have to have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D and be able to think on our feet. We have to explore the trade market, maybe more than we have in the past. There are some interesting names on the trade front that we’ve had discussions about.”

So they've gone through 1,000 scenarios, had Plans A - D, thought on their feet, explored the trade market (more than the past, which was already a fair amount)...and produced this? It's not so much that there are a lot of free agents left, but they weren't even in on Imanaga, Teoscar, Stroman, Sonny Gray, E Rodriguez, Y Rodriguez, Hicks, Flaherty or Bader. Essentially, I don't believe there's any reports that they made a serious push for any of these guys.

A GM that talks like this surely would be active on the FA and trade fronts, right? I don't think it matters if he went in saying it's a transition year, they're retooling, reshuffling, and stacking the deck for 2025 or something. Perry put all his eggs in winning and improving right now. And he's done not a single significant thing this offseason. Not a single move that really adds wins to this team. If Arte is letting him spend $4 million on Garcia and $1 million on essentially AAA depth, I don't for a second believe he is "not allowed" to make smaller, mid-level signings. Or trades--why would Arte tell him he can't make a trade? The Diamond money was always going to be guaranteed (by all accounts), so can we stop saying Arte froze Perry's credit card until he knew? At this point, I just am kind of tired of Perry promising to compete, do everything he can to improve, wanting to win, guys wanting to play for Wash, ownership always spending, and having plan after plan after plan, then doing nothing at all. 

Finally, the reason I don't feel bad for him is that in addition to promising the world and delivering a gas station sandwich collection of pitchers so far, HE is choosing to work for Arte. If Arte is really as controlling as some think, refusing to allow Perry to make a single move or transaction, why would you ever want to work for someone like that? I get there are only 30 GM jobs and the prestige, but it makes Perry seem like an extremely incompetent GM. You're fine being seen as a joke and the guy that lost Ohtani, wasted Trout, and couldn't surround him with talent so you could be a figurehead GM? That's not worth it to me. Go be an AGM somewhere and prepare for the next job. 

This is a dumb essay.  If Arte won't approve spending, or him to take the direction of selling off pieces, what is he supposed to do

20 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm still extremely "meh" on the idea of adding Duvall.  His defense (other than his arm) slipped last year, as did most of his batting profile.

He’d probably playing LF/RF for the Angels, where his defense was better.

But I agree that offensively and overall he just screams “meh.”