• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry and Jerry

Taylor

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

The Dipoto farms were beyond bad. If they could’ve been ranked like 50th out of 30 they would have. Some of those top prospects lists from the middle of his tenure are abysmal. 

Billy got the Halos most of their rotation; Sandoval, Canning, Detmers, plus Kyle Bradish, Rengifo, Adell, Marsh (who got us O’Hoppe), Stassi, then other guys who’ve cracked the majors like Warren, Wantz, Mattson, CRod, Criswell, Paris, Adams, Daniel, Soto, Kochanowicz, Caceres. He had several misses, and a lot of those guys have still yet to pan out, but that is a pretty solid success rate for a GM that had to both rebuild a farm and keep attempting to build a contender, and a critically valuable portion of this team still today. And what he was able to squeeze out of guys like JC Ramirez, Felix Pena, Parker Bridwell, Blake Parker, Taylor Cole and Hansel Robles, plus Jefry Marte, Tommy LaStella and Brian Goodwin, if only for even just a year of success out of each. All of those guys had at least one season for the Angels that was objectively solid if not good before they also became hurt or ineffective. It was an impressive track record of low-key transaction success.

It was still a bottom ten farm at best in that time, but the hole he had to dig out of capped what he could have done, not to mention a shortened 2020 draft. And landing Ohtani was still a master stroke. 

Dude could not get anything done via free agency though. Miss after miss. 

People who simply compare prospect rankings lists don't understand how bad it was. I genuinely believe Eppler hurt himself (and those rankings) by forcing guys up, mostly due to need, but that doesn't give him a free pass and the Adell situation was pure stupidity.  Anyway IMO the early promotions and forced graduations hurt the team more than ppl realize.  

Imagine if they would have spent an extra 10 mil to simply add depth.  That's where Arte was the problem.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

@totdprods CJ Cron was drafted the year before JD came on board. 

And the Trumbo trade was imo an example of JD trying to be the smartest guy in the room.  The Angels had been without a LFer since GA, a true leadoff hitter since Figgins, he was gifted both in that Trumbo trade in the name of Adam Eaton, only he saw fit to trade him to CWS for Santiago.

Adam Eaton means no Hamilton signing, likely no Upton trade, and a legit leadoff hitter.  But he thought Santiago had another gear.  He did not.

Also that trade was completely initiated by Kevin Towers, he admitted as much basically said he just got the call offering Eaton and Skaggs but he wanted two pitchers...  Not unlike when he offered up Grichuk as sweetener to get Salas.  

They could have had Trout, Eaton, Calhoun and Grichuk.... But Jerry.

He was a twat.

The Trumbo trade was the year after they signed Hamilton

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

The Trumbo trade was the year after they signed Hamilton

You're right I had the timing reversed.  Still an awful trade, Eaton was the best player in that trade. Trout, Eaton, Grichuk, Calhoun, would have been better than any other combo they have put out there since Erstad, Salmon, Anderson, and Edmonds.

On 11/27/2023 at 12:12 PM, totdprods said:

I just explained it. We don't need another thread about how Arte is the problem behind everything, when he isn't the actual problem behind everything.

But what if... and hear me out here... what if the problem behind everything actually is Arte?

A couple more thoughts on the Eppler/Minasian comparison…

1. It’s still early, but it seems like some of the international prospects that Perry brought on have shown some promise. I feel like Epper whiffed on international guys. I’m sure he won’t be signing players from the Bahamas anymore. 

2. If Eppler was still GM, would Marsh have been traded for O’Hoppe? Billy seemed pretty attached to his higher level draftees. And the 1st rounder (I can’t remember his name) that they traded to the Giants was ridiculous. Especially since pitching was a much bigger need than an infielder.  Now, Minasian may become enamored with his draftees as well but he seems more calculating than Eppler was. 

14 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

A couple more thoughts on the Eppler/Minasian comparison…

1. It’s still early, but it seems like some of the international prospects that Perry brought on have shown some promise. I feel like Epper whiffed on international guys. I’m sure he won’t be signing players from the Bahamas anymore. 

2. If Eppler was still GM, would Marsh have been traded for O’Hoppe? Billy seemed pretty attached to his higher level draftees. And the 1st rounder (I can’t remember his name) that they traded to the Giants was ridiculous. Especially since pitching was a much bigger need than an infielder.  Now, Minasian may become enamored with his draftees as well but he seems more calculating than Eppler was. 

Will Wilson is who you are thinking about.

A lot of Eppler's moves those first three years were about adding upside to a system that completely lacked it.  It's partially why they focused on so many guys at the extreme end of the age pool in the draft - college players tend to be safer but don't always have the upsides.  They also had to basically recreate the international scouting department when he got here -- it was a real clusterfuck.

Things are better now but the Latin American market is still probably the best place to take risks on guys with pop up talent just because how much cheaper they can be.  So even if Minasian were to swing and miss, I'd give him a pass in that area.  Hell, I'd have given JD a pass..  bust mostly he just traded off international trade money or let it sit idle.

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Will Wilson is who you are thinking about.

A lot of Eppler's moves those first three years were about adding upside to a system that completely lacked it.  It's partially why they focused on so many guys at the extreme end of the age pool in the draft - college players tend to be safer but don't always have the upsides.  They also had to basically recreate the international scouting department when he got here -- it was a real clusterfuck.

Things are better now but the Latin American market is still probably the best place to take risks on guys with pop up talent just because how much cheaper they can be.  So even if Minasian were to swing and miss, I'd give him a pass in that area.  Hell, I'd have given JD a pass..  bust mostly he just traded off international trade money or let it sit idle.

Thanks for the Will Wilson callback.