• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Offseason to do list: Its time to get rid of that......

johndw52

On 10/19/2023 at 9:27 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t think there’s any way you could do this without actually watching all the HRs. You could make a rough estimate using the distances, and I suppose as long as you used the same numbers for each team you’d get a pretty accurate relative number for how many extra HRs the Angels hit vs HRs they allowed. 

oh, i agree that for us as fans it would be incredibly labor intensive. but i thought i remembered the angels or someone saying that they would be tracking the info to see what kind of difference it made to lower the home run wall in RF. 

if the team didn't keep that kind of info then there's probably not enough of a difference for anyone to be concerned about it.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

oh, i agree that for us as fans it would be incredibly labor intensive. but i thought i remembered the angels or someone saying that they would be tracking the info to see what kind of difference it made to lower the home run wall in RF. 

if the team didn't keep that kind of info then there's probably not enough of a difference for anyone to be concerned about it.

Oh I’m sure they are tracking it. 

If they believe it hurts them, they’ll change it. 

On 10/17/2023 at 8:30 PM, BTH said:

This HR went 369 feet.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=247dafe8-0d09-4b8d-a067-bdd841c9f92e

This HR went 385 feet.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=440c3180-1ff9-41f7-bb49-5d27ea135f5b

Both were hit above the yellow line, yet a 16 foot difference?

Stuff like this makes it impossible to search this query on Savant.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:54 AM, BTH said:

I don't think you can even do it using distances.

Both these HRs were hit off the part of the wall above the yellow line, yet there was a 16-foot difference in projected distance? I don't buy it.

It's called ballistics, it's science.

Different angles off of the bat (think high pop fly vs. laser line drive), quality of contact (does the hitter's bat make solid contact, squarely with the ball), and the hitter's power, produce a variety (infinite, really) of different ballistic paths that can deliver the ball anywhere above the yellow line.

Also remember that those HR distances are calculated based on the total ballistic path. Meaning the latter, when it comes off the bat with a corresponding angle and exit velocity can be accurately calculated instantly using the ballistic formula, using a lot of these various camera and laser systems installed at the stadiums. When the ball is hit off the bat it takes a specific arc that will make it land in a specific spot, UNLESS, something gets in its way, such as a wall with a yellow line marked on it (which the ball clearly doesn't care about). That spot it is supposed to land in, is the spot that is then measured, distance wise, from home plate, to produce the 369 or 385 feet number.

Angle off the bat, quality of contact, exit velocity, spin of the ball and where the ball makes contact with the bat (the hitter's arms plus the length of the bat, create the "lever-arm", so, generally speaking rotational velocity is greater near the end of the bat), wind resistance, and friction are the bulk of the factors that input in to where the ball goes and how far. A line drive and a high fly ball can both fall in the same place, but the former will have to be squared up well and hit with more power, whereas the latter can be hit at a better launch angle with less power. Both arrive at the same destination.

In the scenario above, the 369 foot number could have easily been a fly ball that looped up higher in the air, while the 385 foot number could have been more of a harder hit line drive, for instance.