• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Phil Nevin acknowledges fans’ ‘frustration’ at uncertainty surrounding Shohei Ohtani

AngelsWin.com

Here's the thing with all this Ohtani uncertainty... Yeah, it's frustrating and confusing that you don't know. But what's the alternative?

Just tell Ohtani to go on the IL because he's taking away Trey Cabbage's chance to come up and collect some service time? Or Michael Stefanic?

If Ohtani said "I am done," I am sure no one would tell him otherwise and they'd put him on the IL and go about their business. But as long as he says "I think I can play in less than the 7 days that I'd have to miss by going on the IL," you're not going to say "Sorry, dude. We need to get Trey Cabbage up here."

8 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Here's the thing with all this Ohtani uncertainty... Yeah, it's frustrating and confusing that you don't know. But what's the alternative?

Just tell Ohtani to go on the IL because he's taking away Trey Cabbage's chance to come up and collect some service time? Or Michael Stefanic?

If Ohtani said "I am done," I am sure no one would tell him otherwise and they'd put him on the IL and go about their business. But as long as he says "I think I can play in less than the 7 days that I'd have to miss by going on the IL," you're not going to say "Sorry, dude. We need to get Trey Cabbage up here."

In other words the Angels truly are at rock bottom.

13 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

my only concern with the Ohtani uncertainty (and this is about his UCL injury, not his other injury) is why didn't he just shut it down immediately and get the surgery?

If he's back next year, I want him at 100% in April, not in May.

Granted, I think he's as good as gone so it probably doesn't affect the Angels anyway.

5 minutes ago, BTH said:

my only concern with the Ohtani uncertainty (and this is about his UCL injury, not his other injury) is why didn't he just shut it down immediately and get the surgery?

Granted, I think he's as good as gone so it probably doesn't affect the Angels anyway.

That's what I've been saying all along. 

19 minutes ago, BTH said:

According to his agent, he wouldn't be doing this if he thought it would jeopardize him being ready on opening day. I specifically pointed out that in 2018 he waited till Oct 1 for surgery and couldn't play till May, and he said it's different this time because the injury isn't the same.

I have no way to confirm if all that's true, but that's what his agent says.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

According to his agent, he wouldn't be doing this if he thought it would jeopardize him being ready on opening day. I specifically pointed out that in 2018 he waited till Oct 1 for surgery and couldn't play till May, and he said it's different this time because the injury isn't the same.

BTH wants to see the MRI results and then have Ohtani take a lie detector test.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sure, his agent said that.

But as you said, there’s no way to confirm if that’s all true.

He could easily be wrong and have to walk that previous statement back.

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

BTH wants to see the MRI results and then have Ohtani take a lie detector test.

The only thing I want out of Ohtani is for him to be honest with the Angels.

If you have no intention of signing with the Angels, tell them now.

Don’t waste their time if you have no intention of coming back.

43 minutes ago, BTH said:

Maybe he really doesn't know yet.  You really must be young.

On 9/14/2023 at 5:14 PM, Just Sayin said:

Nevin acknowledged that all of this drama surrounding Ohtani’s sore oblique is frustrating and confusing for fans.

“I know fans come to see him, especially when we’re at home,” Nevin said. “I get that frustration. Absolutely.”
What about the frustration of getting our asses kicked every year?

I guess that’s not on the menu.

The question was about Ohtani's presence in the lineup, or the lack of it. The field manager isn't going to comment globally about the product on the field. He gets whatever he can out of the roster that management provides him with. Unless you have been living under a rock, you know about the massive impact of injuries on the roster, both position players and pitchers.

Take a look at the Red Sox, who recently fired Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom and what they had to say about their situation in Boston.

"The decision was not made lightly or easily," team president and CEO Sam Kennedy read from a prepared statement before his news conference. "We all know where we are in the standings. It's a painful reality that fans feel as deeply as we do. Our fans deserve a winning, competitive team that consistently plays postseason baseball."

"It's hard to say it's not related to results because that's what this is all about," Kennedy said. "We're aiming for World Series championships. That's it. That's the aim, that's the goal. We're here to win World Series championships. While we're here, we're not going to waste this opportunity. That's what the Boston Red Sox are all about."

This is a far cry from what Nevin seems to “get.” And Minassian.

Many people in baseball circles believe that the Red Sox made a mistake firing Bloom. He had made considerable progress in rebuilding the farm system, and the process is nearing the point when it will have a major impact on the major league roster. The Red Sox have a "we don't rebuild, we reload" attitude, and that isn't always a realistic assessment of the state of the organization. It's fine for them to say that they aim for World Series championships. They haven't had a roster capable of delivering one for several years, and that can't all be laid at the feet of Chaim Bloom. I don't expect him to be unemployed for long.

Not even a mention about the teams record.  No apologies to the fans for the product the Angels have put on the field.

I don't expect the GM to comment about the roster or the performance on the field with two weeks left in the season. 

Can you see the differences between these two organizations and what is acceptable and what is unacceptable?

No, because the context was totally different. Phil Nevin was asked about the absence of one player from the lineup. The Red Sox held a press conference after firing a top executive.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

10 hours ago, BTH said:

I think there’s no chance he’s already decided he’s not coming back. 

I’m not saying he is coming back. I’m saying he doesn’t know. It may seem crazy to us mere mortals to not have already thought all this through, but I truly believe that Ohtani is freakish enough to compartmentalize all this so it’s not in his mind during the season. 

Beaides that, the rehab and whatever surgery he has will have an impact on what he does.