• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels waive Moore (claimed by Cleveland), Giolito (claimed by Cleveland), Lopez (claimed by Cleveland), Grichuk (not claimed), Renfroe (claimed by Cincinnati), Leone (claimed by Seattle)

mmc

So all these guys can be picked up and be post season eligible?  Good for them. It wasn’t working, so what’s with all the pissed off reactions?  We had fans wanting Grichuk, Renfroe and Giolito released, that’s essentially what is happening if they were claimed. Others posted, “embrace the tank”, this is what that looks like. I’d rather they be good, but they aren’t. This last few weeks have been awful, so who gives a shit that Renfroe and Giolito won’t be here.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

So all these guys can be picked up and be post season eligible?  Good for them. It wasn’t working, so what’s with all the pissed off reactions?  We had fans wanting Grichuk, Renfroe and Giolito released, that’s essentially what is happening if they were claimed. Others posted, “embrace the tank”, this is what that looks like. I’d rather they be good, but they aren’t. This last few weeks have been awful, so who gives a shit that Renfroe and Giolito won’t be here.  

Exactly how I feel.  I stunned anyone is upset by this.  All of them with the exception of Lopez (who pitched all of 11 2/3 innings while here) have been complete garbage.  They're not fun to watch, so who cares?

Also @Blarg is right, this shit used to happen all the time but wasn’t reported. Now days it’s news. I remember Randy Myers was waived, the Padres claimed him so the Dodgers couldn’t put a waiver claim on him.  The Padres did it thinking they’d try and make a trade for him or even better not complete a trade (he had a high salary) but it would still prevent the Dodgers from getting him. The team who had him just let the Padres claim him and pick up his contract, which at the time was unprecedented. 

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Exactly how I feel.  I stunned anyone is upset by this.  All of them with the exception of Lopez (who pitched all of 11 2/3 innings while here) have been complete garbage.  They're not fun to watch, so who cares?

People are conditioned to be pissed off. They are re-pissed off because of them being buyers at the deadline. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think the pissed off reaction is that (at least for me) we should have traded these guys at the deadline and/or not acquire them to begin with.

It's like a husband asking what he should do after he cheated on his wife. Well....you shouldn't have cheated on her to begin with.....the correct decision now (putting everyone on waivers) still can generate being pissed even if it is the best decision. 

55 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't think that's correct.  Pretty sure the pick would be after Competitive Balance Round B, which is between rounds 2 and 3.  So probably something in the 60s/low 70s.

Some clarification for teams not receiving revenue sharing, if Ohtani signs for at least $160 million total with another team, the Halos would indeed get the round A pick.

1E24A053-360B-401C-BBB6-AE720727B352.png

5 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think the pissed off reaction is that (at least for me) we should have traded these guys at the deadline and/or not acquire them to begin with.

It's like a husband asking what he should do after he cheated on his wife. Well....you shouldn't have cheated on her to begin with.....the correct decision now (putting everyone on waivers) still can generate being pissed even if it is the best decision. 

Or you can realize this isn’t a bad decision after the previous bad decision. 

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Some clarification for teams not receiving revenue sharing, if Ohtani signs for at least $160 million total with another team, the Halos would indeed get the round A pick.

1E24A053-360B-401C-BBB6-AE720727B352.png

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

Compensation for losing players who reject their QO

• If a team gives a qualifying offer to a player who then signs elsewhere, the club that lost the player is eligible for Draft pick compensation. If the team that loses the free agent is a revenue-sharing recipient, based on its revenues and market size, then the selection -- if and only if the lost player signs for at least $50 million -- will be awarded a pick between the first round and Competitive Balance Round A of the 2022 MLB Draft. If the player signs for less than $50 million, the compensation pick for those teams would come after Competitive Balance Round B, which follows the second round.

The following 14 teams currently qualify for these picks: Athletics, Brewers, D-backs, Guardians, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals, Tigers and Twins.

If the team that loses the player does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, its compensatory pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B. The value of the player's contract doesn't matter in this case.

The 10 teams in this category: Angels, Astros, Blue Jays, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Giants, Nationals, Rangers and White Sox.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

People are conditioned to be pissed off. They are re-pissed off because of them being buyers at the deadline. 

Are people really pissed though, or just getting a good laugh out of it? Nobody cares that those guys are gone but it underscores the futility of the whole exercise. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

Compensation for losing players who reject their QO

• If a team gives a qualifying offer to a player who then signs elsewhere, the club that lost the player is eligible for Draft pick compensation. If the team that loses the free agent is a revenue-sharing recipient, based on its revenues and market size, then the selection -- if and only if the lost player signs for at least $50 million -- will be awarded a pick between the first round and Competitive Balance Round A of the 2022 MLB Draft. If the player signs for less than $50 million, the compensation pick for those teams would come after Competitive Balance Round B, which follows the second round.

The following 14 teams currently qualify for these picks: Athletics, Brewers, D-backs, Guardians, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals, Tigers and Twins.

If the team that loses the player does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, its compensatory pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B. The value of the player's contract doesn't matter in this case.

The 10 teams in this category: Angels, Astros, Blue Jays, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Giants, Nationals, Rangers and White Sox.

That must have changed after 2022 then?

Edited by Angel Oracle

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It’s better odds though, with the right scouting and development in place, which was what I meant to say.

I get it! But, in reality, if they are pushing guys then our Developmental side hasn't had too much to do with them at that point... it's what they learned in college which not a lot of instruction is done at that point they just shine the rock with tools and ability at that point.

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I'm just more LAUGHING and FRUSTRATED that their obviously is ZERO PLAN...

insert player A if it doesn't work. Dump and try the next one.

So if they kept those players you’d be more confident in their plan moving forward?  I think those players respect this move by the team. I agree with @jsnpritchett, Ohtani is about to shut it down for the season. 

Just now, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

New Waivers..

If they are claimed, they're gone! If they don't get claimed they're released.

Other than 7.3M to get the better eventual Ohtani leaving draft pick.

IT was all a waste of time! Should have just sold everyone you could. Including Ohtani.

They were 3 games out and playing well. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So if they kept those players you’d be more confident in their plan moving forward?  I think those players respect this move by the team. I agree with @jsnpritchett, Ohtani is about to shut it down for the season. 

I think they are/will just be Happy getting the Hell off the Titanic before the cleansing starts! Oh, and NONE of them will ever sign here. And they will talk to their friends and players they share agents with.

This could become a complete shytshow.