• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Apologies to Perry

Torridd

He doesn't deserve this. From the beginning of the season, he seemed to do what was necessary for backup in case of injuries. Then he goes all in during the trading range. Maybe Arte pulled some strings but I think PM basically ran the team as he wanted. We may never find out if he wanted to keep or trade Ohtani but I think the right choice was made, even now. Yet, I commiserate with him because this team wasn't supposed to take a gut punch and just lay on the mat. It's a real shame.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

It's like building up your army for war and then have a Cholera epidemic run through them. 

Yes, they've had a lot of injuries but the lineup remains pretty talented. It doesn't make sense how they've fallen apart.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

He did try but the plan failed miserably. Unfortunately, I think he gets canned as a result. 

None of this is on him.  If he gets canned Arte is a bigger idiot than i thought.
He might quit, i wouldnt blame him, but there is no logical way you can put any of this one him.
his hands have been tied virtually the whole time and he still got most of what we needed done.

I think Arte probably let's him finish his contract (through 2024). I mean, how many GMs has Arte gone through? Stoneman, Reagins, Dipoto, Eppler, Minasian. That's five in the last 16 years, by my accounting. Plus, he gave Dipoto 4 and Eppler 5, so I'm guessing Minasian gets 4 to show signs of turning the franchise around.

And as much as I don't like to make injuries an excuse because all teams experience them, this year has been ridiculous. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

When does Arte get canned?

I'm not a big Arte fan, but I doubt the following is Arte's fault:

He goes for Gerrit Cole,  but Cole a Yankees fan growing up goes to New York.

He pivots and signs the best free agent bat on the market in Anthony Rendon coming off a World Series MVP and one of the more consistent bats in MLB ahead of signing with the Angels.

Rendon becomes the most injury prone player that I've seen in Angels history, though a lot of those injuries were not necessarily his fault. 

Arte had nothing to do with the way the Angels have been unable to stay healthy this season. Could be a totally different story if their key guys stay relatively healthy this season. 

17 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Yes, they've had a lot of injuries but the lineup remains pretty talented. It doesn't make sense how they've fallen apart.

Dude, the talent never really was on the field at the same time. I could go step by step but they've had such a talent dilution through injury of both starters and the backups that they were an overachieving .400 team all year. Now when it all crashes everyone wonders how and it is simple. This is a pile of mercenaries that were no part of the organization in June trying to patch holes. This is not the team they left Tempe with other than Renfroe, Ohtani, Drury, Thaiss and Rengifo.

15 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He pivots and signs the best free agent bat on the market in Anthony Rendon coming off a World Series MVP and one of the more consistent bats in MLB ahead of signing with the Angels.

Rendon becomes the most injury prone player that I've seen in Angels history, though a lot of those injuries were not necessarily his fault. 

Arte had nothing to do with the way the Angels have been unable to stay healthy this season. Could be a totally different story if their key guys stay relatively healthy this season. 

No, it isnt his fault, what is though is letting it hamper other moves.
He signed 3 guys to over half the lux tax payroll then refused to go over it when it was the only path available to us.
I know he has now, but literally none of it is future commit beyond the end of the season so he hedged that bet as well.
Rendon shouldnt have crippled this club with him at the helm, he let that happen.
And thats before we get to the handling of Ohtani thats also on him. 

Nevin and Perry have both done a good job with an extremely difficult year.  Truly, what difference would another manager have made? Nevin has been the face of the club in really shitty circumstances and he’s done a great job.  The players seem to like him a lot.  What are we looking for here? You’re shit canning for the sake of it if you fire him.  With the marching orders of “going for it” what else could Perry have done? Also it was correct given the Angels circumstances to go for it.  They just gotta try again next year.  Hopefully with Ohtani.  And if not, I mean they can spend the 40 million+ on other players.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

55 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Perry needs to stay. Nevin needs to be canned. Bullpen has negative synergy because it’s managed so poorly.

I would have endorsed Nevin for another year but this recent dropoff looks terrible. He's the lame duck guy, basically an interim. Do you give him a chance to see what he can do with a team not so injured or do you give a new guy a totally clean slate? The team itself will be so different next year. That may be another reason to get rid of him. On the other hand, if Ohtani endorses him, he obviously stays. I get the feeling Ohtani doesn't stay because of Nevin though. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

In any other industry, if an organization has close to a decade of failure and wasted money, it's the person at the top who gets blamed.

When looking at the front office, managerial team, and players on the field, Arte is the one constant.