• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Opener and Reid Detmers

Detmers always seems to have issues the third time through a lineup, could an opener help with that?... maybe have someone like a Jacob Webb start the game and then have Detmers come in afterwards.  If he's solid through the first two times through the order (and if the Angels are leading of course) then Detmers could be in line for a win if he's out there past the fifth while not being on tilt (to use a poker term) to perform to get a decision.

30 minutes ago, StandOutRealty said:

Detmers always seems to have issues the third time through a lineup, could an opener help with that?... maybe have someone like a Jacob Webb start the game and then have Detmers come in afterwards.  If he's solid through the first two times through the order (and if the Angels are leading of course) then Detmers could be in line for a win if he's out there past the fifth while not being on tilt (to use a poker term) to perform to get a decision.

Seems to have?

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Does he just not have the proper conditioning?

Seems like a mental/pitch sequencing issue too. Lots of meatballs with two strikes, hitters figuring him out after a few innings, plus just mentally falling apart at the first sign of trouble. The latter isn't even remotely uncommon; yesterday I watched Hunter Brown look dominant through 2 innings and then have a complete meltdown after a questionable call. 

Either way, I'd pull Detmers the moment he gets through the order for the 2nd time, even if he has a perfect game. Obligatory "if he played for the Rays they'd have already figured this out and implemented it."

The only opener that I want is one that can open up a can of whoop ass.  The top of the line up is getting paid $100m+ to strikeout, fly out, and get injured.  And our young pitchers are basically pitching as if they're the starting version of Loup.  I've seen too many "In play, (runs)" when our guys are on the mound. Come on, I absolutely do not want Ohtani to play for another MLB franchise, but they're making it happen

1 hour ago, TheLordofOuts said:

The only opener that I want is one that can open up a can of whoop ass.  The top of the line up is getting paid $100m+ to strikeout, fly out, and get injured.  And our young pitchers are basically pitching as if they're the starting version of Loup.  I've seen too many "In play, (runs)" when our guys are on the mound. Come on, I absolutely do not want Ohtani to play for another MLB franchise, but they're making it happen

Ohtani is part of that 100 million that "strikes out, fly out, or get injured".

I honestly cannot stand the whole opener nonsense. Bullpen games and piggybacking make sense to me, they happen all the time. But using a non-high leverage reliever to navigate a teams best hitters in hopes that you're starter, who should be better, gets to navigate the bottom of the order seems counter intuitive. 

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I honestly cannot stand the whole opener nonsense. Bullpen games and piggybacking make sense to me, they happen all the time. But using a non-high leverage reliever to navigate a teams best hitters in hopes that you're starter, who should be better, gets to navigate the bottom of the order seems counter intuitive. 

So if using an opener helped fix all the issues we seem to be having with Detmers (and resulted in wins for the Angels)... would the opener thing still be nonsensical to you?

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

It could work, if your bullpen is so deep that putting a solid guy in to pitch the first two innings is doable without cutting too much into your late innings staff.