• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (5/19/23): Angels vs Twins - Moniak in CF for Trout

mmc

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

none of you apparently read Jeff Fletcher's articles, which is surprising since they're literally posted on this website.

But since you missed it: Mike Trout is expected to get the day off Friday. The Angels have been trying to avoid having Trout play immediately after a cross-country flight, because he’s been injured in the past in that situation. His calf injury in 2021 was the day after a flight from Boston to Southern California. In 2022, he was hurt twice within a couple days after flights from the East Coast.

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/05/18/angels-lefty-aaron-loup-plans-to-return-to-what-made-him-successful/

We read it, but we don't have to agree with it. 

Honestly, it's stupid to have guys penciled in for scheduled off-days. 

• mmc changed the title to Gameday Thread (5/19/23): Angels vs Twins - Moniak in CF for Trout
25 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Actually he was only 40 and what a messed up death, just sad.

Oh shit, you're right. Born in 1954, died in 1994. Retired in 1986 (tennis players retired earlier in the 80s and 90s). At his best, he was usually the 5th or 6th best player on tour, after Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, and Vilas (Lendl started peaking as Gerulaitis was declining).

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Last Sunday I was at my parents' house for Mother's Day, making brunch, watching the early game. My mom said "Wait, Trout isn't playing? I didn't realize baseball players get days off when they aren't hurt." I tried to explain the logic. 

Now he's getting his second game off in six days. Maybe the Angels will make the postseason this year and Trout will be healthy and we can say "Wow, I guess giving him all those days off was a good idea." That would be cool. 

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Jimmy Conners beat him 17 times in a row, so that booze and coke might not have the right choice.

Connors was a beast. As I said above, Gerulaitis was consistently the 5th or 6th best player. That era saw the guy to beat go from Connors to Borg to McEnroe to Lendl, with Vilas a bit behind, and Gerulaitis the next guy. A really good player, the first four above are in the top dozen or so of the Pen Era, and Vilas is top 20. Gerulaitis is more top 30. No shame in that.

Edited by Angelsjunky

31 minutes ago, Justin said:

Last Sunday I was at my parents' house for Mother's Day, making brunch, watching the early game. My mom said "Wait, Trout isn't playing? I didn't realize baseball players get days off when they aren't hurt." I tried to explain the logic. 

Now he's getting his second game off in six days. Maybe the Angels will make the postseason this year and Trout will be healthy and we can say "Wow, I guess giving him all those days off was a good idea." That would be cool. 

So he gets a day off to get him off his feet for a 2.5 hour game, but the next day he can get plunked on the hand and be out for two months, or he can round second heading to third and pop a hamstring or tear a calf. Which has no bearing on him playing the day before. 

It's STUPID.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

This was what I was going to respond with and add it doesn't seem to be an issue with most of the lineup. I think it needs to be a fluid situation rather than scheduled days off that they strictly adhere to.

56 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So he gets a day off to get him off his feet for a 2.5 hour game, but the next day he can get plunked on the hand and be out for two months, or he can round second heading to third and pop a hamstring or tear a calf. Which has no bearing on him playing the day before. 

It's STUPID.

I wonder if it's coming from Trout and not the management/FO.

If Trout wants to play, he'll play.