• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Zach Neto, option David Fletcher, place Chris Rodriguez on 60-day IL

mmc

As good as Renfroe has been, I’m still not totally positive he’ll continue this, and if he falters, a late-summer Walsh-Renfroe RF platoon could make some sense.

I don’t think the Angels are gonna jettison Rendon, Walsh, Drury, or rule out retaining Urshela or Renfroe even unless they totally bottom out. Any of those guys could be key if Ohtani walks, either as DH or maintaining some offensive depth.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Urshela seems to have actually graded out decently well to start the year, both defensively and offensively.  But yeah, obviously, he is just a one-year stop gap, so it's great to see Perry promote Neto and see how ready he is.

He doesn't pass the eye test. If the numbers are good they'll come back down when we get to real sample size levels.

Just now, totdprods said:

I imagine Fletcher’s days are numbered. He’s a DFA candidate in short time, tbh, with hopes of some team claiming him and his still modest but likely overpay of a contract. Or he is involved in a future trade solely for the purpose of moving money from one team or another. Wonder if the D-backs would be interested in uniting him with Dom. 

I don’t think he has any trade value really, but a small-market team could still see some utility in having him as a fairly cheap, controlled bench vet, or if the Angels assumed a bad contract/big money and sent him over to make the money exchange a little more palatable for both teams. There just isn’t much place for him here, especially if Neto sticks, even with Urshela being a pending FA. Urshela sort of fills the same role and skill set, but with much more clout.

Yeah, likely being optioned signals he's near the end of his time here.  He just can't hit at all.  If he was an elite defender at SS, that'd be passable, but he isn't that.

I remember when Perry signed him to his extension, it looked like a steal for the Angels, but that just goes to show you how quickly things can change in this game.  Fletcher was smart to take that contract.

I think we are about to see a wave of young players start to get promoted throughout this year.  Perry has aggressively promoted players.  We saw it with Silseth last year, and we see it now with both O'Hoppe and Neto already starting.

I imagine we could start to see some of our relievers get promotions, and then maybe even a SP or two, depending on how the tail end of our rotation performs.

18 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

This is a thing that a well constructed and healthy professional baseball club does.  

Perry admitting he didn't add a short stop to the team in the off season and now he's taking the hail marry pass. Hope it works out but if Neto struggles we are back to having a huge hole on the roster. 

Im at least glad Perry can already see it. I feel like in years past we would've tried to make this work for a couple more months before making a move.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

I can’t be “sad” for Fletcher.  If Fletcher never plays another game in the majors, he was a huge success story of a blue collar grinder that made it, found a way to make himself valuable, carved out some significant roles, had an actual mlb career, and made millions of dollars.

He's an example to players on why sometimes it's wise to just take the guaranteed money. I get the whole "bet on yourself" mentality, but the reality is baseball is really hard. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I imagine Fletcher’s days are numbered. He’s a DFA candidate in short time, tbh, with hopes of some team claiming him and his still modest but likely overpay of a contract. Or he is involved in a future trade solely for the purpose of moving money from one team or another. Wonder if the D-backs would be interested in uniting him with Dom. 

I don’t think he has any trade value really, but a small-market team could still see some utility in having him as a fairly cheap, controlled bench vet, or if the Angels assumed a bad contract/big money and sent him over to make the money exchange a little more palatable for both teams. There just isn’t much place for him here, especially if Neto sticks, even with Urshela being a pending FA. Urshela sort of fills the same role and skill set, but with much more clout.

And Velasquez >>> Fletcher anyway.

Fletcher had a month last year where he started hitting a bit, but then tanked again in September.  He's now had over 900 PA with unacceptable offense.   He had 883 PA where it was acceptable for a good defender.  It hasn't been acceptable for three years.  

1 minute ago, mmc said:

So does anyone have any hope that a stint in AAA helps Fletcher turn it around or do we all just think he's completely spent?

He needs to work on his approach. He offers nothing from a power or speed standpoint, so his value at the plate relies solely on his BA and ability to get on base. He needs to get back to working counts and drawing walks and not swinging at pitches out of the zone so often

I don't think he offers much else other than a bench bat at best at this point due to his solid MIF defense

Edited by bloodbrother

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

He's an example to players on why sometimes it's wise to just take the guaranteed money. I get the whole "bet on yourself" mentality, but the reality is baseball is really hard. 

Exactly.  I see a lot of criticism towards young players who sign contracts immediately after promotion, saying they are giving up far too much money by taking the guarantee now. There is no guarantee that a player won't regress, get hurt significantly, etc.

Even the contract that Ruiz just signed, for 40+mil, is obviously life-changing money, and his family is set for life.

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

So does anyone have any hope that a stint in AAA helps Fletcher turn it around or do we all just think he's completely spent?

I think there is some stat that Fletcher hasn't barreled a baseball since 2020, or something ridiculous like that.  While anyone can improve and get better, he has not been good for years now.  

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

That’s two questions in one question.

So here are two answers.

I HOPE in AAA he discovered his previously hidden inner Xander Boegarts.

I THINK he can’t hit and isn’t going to hit.

Timing a bit premature? 

For a team desperate to win now, it means a lot of pressure and a severe learning curve at a key position. Patience for him to learn the league, but impatience if he's a reason for losing games. 

Tough about Fletcher. At his best he was a good lead off hitter and versatile fielder. But I guess the contract softens the humiliation of the demotion.