• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Today: Manfreded, Again

The ghost runner is a reaction to short attention spans. It is not an extension of real baseball. Getting to first base via walk, hit, hbp or error is an organic process involving hitter, pitcher, defense. Getting to second base via hitting a double,, a single and error, two base error or moving a runner from first in different ways also is a natural part of skill and strategy, Getting to second has to be earned offensively  or a result of a defensive mistake.

But the ghost runner eliminates all the fundamentals of getting to second base. 

Obviously it is intended to save time. Which really means that the MLB braintrust acknowledge that the game is boring after nine innings. And the desire is to artificially end it as quickly as possible. 

Ironic though as basketball, football and hockey extend the lengths of games with their overtimes. 

Time saving shouldn't apply to extra innings. Where some of the most strategic and interesting dynamics come into play. Even things like roster depletion, which rarely is an issue in nine innings. 

The other rule changes should be enough to cut down some time if that 's a priority. But the ghost runner is a perversion. 

13 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hate it, like I hate the shootout to decide tie hockey games.

Hockey ties were fine back in the day.

The shootout seems like a poor way to give one team an extra point.

Seems very minor league. You play three 20-minute periods, one five-minute overtime with three-on-three, and then decide the game with penalty shots?

I also greatly dislike the ghost runner. I understood it in the COVID year. Spring training was abruptly ended, and players were idle for months prior to an abbreviated season. The minor league season was canceled, so there were no MLB-ready players to call up in the case of an injury. You didn't want any 16-inning games taxing bullpens to the limit. It should have been a one-off. It needed to go away after the 60-game season.

I enjoyed the article above. One thing grated on me a bit. The use of the word tenant twice. The right word was tenet. A tenant is someone who rents a house or apartment.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

The ghost runner wasn't adopted for the likes of those on this board, the die-hards.  Like the hockey shoot-out, it was implemented primarily to cut costs of paying staff and infrastructure costs for the extra time that the owners don't get any additional revenue for.  Also, to create instant tension (excitement) for casual fans. In my opinion, curtailing marathon games is a smaller factor than the first two.  The die-hards are going to watch no matter what, so MLB doesn't care what we think.

53 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

The ghost runner wasn't adopted for the likes of those on this board, the die-hards.  Like the hockey shoot-out, it was implemented primarily to cut costs of paying staff and infrastructure costs for the extra time that the owners don't get any additional revenue for.  Also, to create instant tension (excitement) for casual fans. In my opinion, curtailing marathon games is a smaller factor than the first two.  The die-hards are going to watch no matter what, so MLB doesn't care what we think.

Dingdingding 

And I’m a die-hard, but I do enjoy the instant tension it brings. Both teams have to execute on both sides of the ball  just the same.

The only real quibble I have with it is that I think it should be implemented after 11 or 12 innings. Most extra-innings games pre-ghost runner were decided by that point anyways.

Edited by totdprods

I'm going on a brief old man rant here. I don't like calling it a ghost runner. Ghost runners happened in backyard ball when you were still on base and it was your turn to bat. That base was credited with a runner who moved as many bases as the batter did when the ball was put in play. Called a ghost runner because there wasn't actually anyone there. What MLB uses should be called a free runner or a kickstarter or whatever but not a ghost runner. 

As far as having it in the game, I don't like it but I'm not going to bitch about it

12 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I'm going on a brief old man rant here. I don't like calling it a ghost runner. Ghost runners happened in backyard ball when you were still on base and it was your turn to bat. That base was credited with a runner who moved as many bases as the batter did when the ball was put in play. Called a ghost runner because there wasn't actually anyone there. What MLB uses should be called a free runner or a kickstarter or whatever but not a ghost runner. 

As far as having it in the game, I don't like it but I'm not going to bitch about it

Ghostrunner on GOG.com

12 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I'd call him the Manfred man. He's the one who added it to the game, so let his name stand for a bad rule.