• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adellgate (Adell unhappy?)

Angelsjunky

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think Moniak drew quite a bit of wrath from Phillies fans who had high expectations of him as the #1 draft pick.  We acquired him already knowing that he was basically a failed prospect who still had some potential but not a ton.  I think if another team acquired Adell, they'd likely have the same low expectations that we do of Moniak and probably not care too much if it doesn't pan out.

The key thing is that a lot of fans thought Adell would be a cornerstone of this franchise for years to come, so to see him struggle mightily and fall short, I think that has led to him being more of a target than other prospects.

To be fair, Phillies fans would go after their own grandmothers for disappointing them.

This is good context. Moniak isn't a good comparison since Angel fans don't have much of a connection to him.  

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It's just something I've noticed. He gets criticized for his character or work ethic while our other young struggling prospects simply get criticized for their suckage on the field. I don't think anybody is being intentional about any of it.

I think AJ said it best. FFS Taylor. FFS. 

Maybe we can blame Adell's struggles in climate change. 

Can any of you specifically detail what these observable attitude problems are? I rolled my eyes at the shoes or whatever it was but isn’t that adidas problem? Like why would Jo Adell not take these opportunities given to him? Seems kind of fucking stupid to begrudge him that tbh.  

and going back to the attitude stuff.  All we heard for years was “make up, make up, make up” “wow! what a work ethic” all that stuff.  Now we’ve got this all of a sudden because he unfollowed the Angels on IG and twitter (truly who gives a shit).  You guys suddenly have this scoop on him being a malcontent or whatever? Just seems like you guys are making shit up.  Sorry.  That’s what it seems like to me.  

Adell is a young guy.  The Angels have plainly signaled that he’s not going to be one of their guys in the OF this year.  His back ground is that of a high level prospect.  For several years *the prospect* for the Angels.  His pride is probably hurt or something.  I’m not going to psycho analyze him but to me that seems like a predictable response.  Blarg I think pointed out that he’s doing work at driveline.  That’s good.  He should he doing that.  Hopefully he gets his baseball shit together because it hasn’t been great as well all know.  Particularly at the major league level.  Which is what matters.  He’ll get another shot.  Maybe with the Angels.  Or not.  Whatever happens this speculation about his attitude or whatever based on no doubt the one on ones you guys have had  with him.  <jerk off motion> 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Can any of you specifically detail what these observable attitude problems are? I rolled my eyes at the shoes or whatever it was but isn’t that adidas problem? Like why would Jo Adell not take these opportunities given to him? Seems kind of fucking stupid to begrudge him that tbh.  

and going back to the attitude stuff.  All we heard for years was “make up, make up, make up” “wow! what a work ethic” all that stuff.  Now we’ve got this all of a sudden because he unfollowed the Angels on IG and twitter (truly who gives a shit).  You guys suddenly have this scoop on him being a malcontent or whatever? Just seems like you guys are making shit up.  Sorry.  That’s what it seems like to me.  

Adell is a young guy.  The Angels have plainly signaled that he’s not going to be one of their guys in the OF this year.  His back ground is that of a high level prospect.  For several years *the prospect* for the Angels.  His pride is probably hurt or something.  I’m not going to psycho analyze him but to me that seems like a predictable response.  Blarg I think pointed out that he’s doing work at driveline.  That’s good.  He should he doing that.  Hopefully he gets his baseball shit together because it hasn’t been great as well all know.  Particularly at the major league level.  Which is what matters.  He’ll get another shot.  Maybe with the Angels.  Or not.  Whatever happens this speculation about his attitude or whatever based on no doubt the one on ones you guys have had  with him.  <jerk off motion> 

You know exactly what it is. He came up confident and some people don’t like to see that in some people. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If you think this is a new thing, you haven't been paying attention at all. Look back at quotes from his last demotion. He was treating it as if he didn't think he had anything he needed to work on. 

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

If you think this is a new thing, you haven't been paying attention at all. Look back at quotes from his last demotion. He was treating it as if he didn't think he had anything he needed to work on. 

He sounds so bitter.

“This is a really strong team and these guys are great,” Adell said. “These players out here are unbelievable. And we formed something that’s been a really, really strong unit. And it’s been tough to weave my way into the lineup with the level of play that these guys have right now. …

“Joe (Maddon) mentioned in the meeting that playing every third or second day or fourth day or whatever has been kind of tough. Hopefully, me getting back on my rhythm and getting in there every day and kind of just developing more of a routine would probably help me out a little bit more.”

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

He sounds so bitter.

"“It kind of came out of nowhere,” Adell said, noting there were no conversations prior to his demotion.

“When you don’t play every day you kind of wonder what is going on. But I didn’t see it happening. I did the best I could. I contributed and helped us win games.”

Adell was optioned to Triple-A Salt Lake City on Tuesday and reported to the team on Friday. The opening day starter for the Angels, and the top prospect in the organization in 2019, now has some unexpected early turbulence in his career. And, he says, he doesn’t know the exact blueprint anymore to get back to the majors.

Sure, he is young. But out of the two times he was previously optioned, this one felt different.

This time, Angels general manager Perry Minasian made it clear Adell was supposed to stick in the majors. Usually, when you give the keys to the top prospect, they don’t get sent down. Certainly not after a month.

“Obviously it was not my decision,” Adell said. “I don’t think there is an exact science to get back to the big leagues. I don’t really know what exactly it will take or what there is left to show.”"

Huge difference between confidence and blind arrogance.

1 minute ago, Docwaukee said:

When has anyone questioned Adell's work ethic?

The folks asserting that he seems to have a delusional view of his performance are basically seeing he doesn't think he has anything to work on. To me that feels like a critique of his work ethic. 

10 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don’t recall anything particularly egregious.  He was disappointed to be demoted.  So what? 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

"“It kind of came out of nowhere,” Adell said, noting there were no conversations prior to his demotion.

“When you don’t play every day you kind of wonder what is going on. But I didn’t see it happening. I did the best I could. I contributed and helped us win games.”

Adell was optioned to Triple-A Salt Lake City on Tuesday and reported to the team on Friday. The opening day starter for the Angels, and the top prospect in the organization in 2019, now has some unexpected early turbulence in his career. And, he says, he doesn’t know the exact blueprint anymore to get back to the majors.

Sure, he is young. But out of the two times he was previously optioned, this one felt different.

This time, Angels general manager Perry Minasian made it clear Adell was supposed to stick in the majors. Usually, when you give the keys to the top prospect, they don’t get sent down. Certainly not after a month.

“Obviously it was not my decision,” Adell said. “I don’t think there is an exact science to get back to the big leagues. I don’t really know what exactly it will take or what there is left to show.”"

Okay. Combine that with the quotes I posted and it's a big nothing burger.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

The folks asserting that he seems to have a delusional view of his performance are basically seeing he doesn't think he has anything to work on. To me that feels like a critique of his work ethic. 

Can't speak for others, but I never said he doesn't work hard. I said he seems to think he's a lot better than he is. 

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t recall anything particularly egregious.  He was disappointed to be demoted.  So what? 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Huge difference between confidence and blind arrogance.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Okay. Combine that with the quotes I posted and it's a big nothing burger.

If you say so. I think he's capable of humility and certainly of hard work, but sometimes it seems like maybe he gets frustrated and misdirects blame for his struggles. I'm glad he's at Driveline and I hope he figures out his batting and defense issues. There's a lot of potential there. This latest thing could be nothing or it could be reactionary if he was putting a lot of work into making the team and feels like now he won't get his shot. It's not true: He can earn a spot if he forces the decision by playing well. And if not, a year (or part of one) in the minors may be what he needs, whether he recognizes that or not. I don't pretend to know what he's thinking beyond what he says and does. 

I’m not trying to exonerate Adell for his disappointing stints in the majors.  Certainly, he has played his part in that.  He hasn’t played well! But the Angels are also at fault here.  I don’t think the Angels as an organization really deserve much benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing players.  We’ve all seen the stuff that has come out about the Angels system.  It’s not great.  Adell hasn’t played well.  But he’s the one that actually works with the Angels.  Maybe his frustration is justified in some measure.  I’d believe it.  The results across the board are what they are.  I haven’t seen anything especially egregious like I said.  I guess we all have different ideas of what that would be though. 

Edited by UndertheHalo