• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah -- never mind that the team was operating as if it was going to be sold and adding yet another high end player may not have been the most ideal set up to a potential buyer.   

The sale likely saved the Angels from yet another Arte driven screw up, because Mianasian's intestinal fortitude somehow failed to keep him from adding pretty much everything his former manager asked for in his first two winters as a GM -- and Arte is the sole reason he had to cater to that dolt.

Did you happen to miss last season when the Mets went from 77 wins to 101 wins? 

Three of their top four pitching performances in 22 (using fWAR), were Eppler FA adds plus Ottavino who was aquired in much the same manner Minasian did Iglesias.. AO gave them another 1.1 fWAR as a middle reliever for a total of 10.7 fWAR.  Offensively, Marte, Canha, and Escobar gave the Mets 8.1 fWAR. Please indicate where his FA moves proved to be anything but a complete success last season, I'll wait.

The Met's 2023 season has been a complete clusterfuck, largely due to injuries and underperformance by players who were already there 

Their top 4 pitching performances using fWAR are all Eppler FA adds, Senga, Verlander, Scherzer, and Robertson.  Brooks Raley who ranks 6th is another Eppler add via trade. Offensively, Nimmo who Eppler brought back has been their second best performer.  Tommy Pham fourth.  Escobar and Canha again both had positives bWAR, while Marte has tanked.

Bret Baty has tanked.  McNeil has tanked. Carrasco, Megill and Peterson have all tanked and Alonso is riding a .179 BaBip freaskshow of a year.

Maybe more importantly -- Escobar is already gone (Minasian gave up two SP prospects for him), Canha may get moved and bring something in. Both Scherzer and Verlander are still productive if overpaid but neither guy is signed beyond next season so the only real potential problem child is Marte because those migraine/vision issues he's having may end up being a chronic problem.

Just say this, and quit slanting things to try to make him look better.  As is stands now Perry's tremendous acumen and insight has resulted in a collective 22 games under .500.   This despite 5 of his 6 SPs already being in place and much more autonomy than Eppler ever had.  We will get to see if that was an actual change at the top or if Arte's flirtation with selling the team allowed Perry to do what he wanted for a change -- lord knows Perry has earned the chance to do it his way.

Again, I like Perry, I think he's hired better, more experienced people than Eppler did.  IMO he may have a wider view of things in part because he was a part of three different organizations .vs Eppler who was essentially a Yankee guy for most of his career.  But there is no denying who had it worse at hello and how much that impacted how they went about things.  One need only compare how much Eppler was allowed to spend those first two years compared to Minasian.

Of course, having an owner who is willing to pay $108,000,000 in Payroll Tax also helps. I’m pretty sure if some of the posters on here had that kind of money to spend they could come up with a pretty competitive lineup as well. 

Mets 2023 Payroll

Edited by bruin5

1 minute ago, bruin5 said:

Of course, having an owner who is willing to pay $108,000,000 in Payroll Tax also helps. I’m pretty sure if some of the posters on here had that kind of money to spend they could come up with a pretty competitive lineup as well. 

Of course it is -- it's also easy to make mistakes while doing so, and anyone who's read this message board over the winter will admit that most people would fuck it up chasing names.  Dude pretty much hit across the board last year. I'd argue that was more lucky than good but it happened. 

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Of course it is -- it's also easy to make mistakes while doing so, and anyone who's read this message board over the winter will admit that most people would fuck it up chasing names.  Dude pretty much hit across the board last year. I'd argue that was more lucky than good but it happened. 

I would argue that it’s not luck. If you have the type of money that allows you to sign proven WAR guys, your’re going to hit more often than not. 

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don't remember the blindsided part. But I do remember that Arte was meeting with Cole and Boras, and when it became apparent that they wouldn't be landing Cole, after everyone else left the room, Arte pulled Scott aside and asked him about Rendon, whom Arte has liked since he was a sophomore at Rice. 

That's apparently how it came together.

Thanks

On 7/22/2023 at 11:32 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Ultimately, I think most of the issues that have plagued this team fall not on the front offices post-Dipoto, but the man that hired all three of them.   

There is no question in my mind that both Eppler and Minasian would have done far better had Arte not been a twat.

This is where I've been for awhile.  I'll take it back to post Stoneman actually.  That's when it really started to erode.  This entire franchise has been curling the tube of toothpaste tighter and tighter since Reagins took over.  Even with some improvement in the development pipeline that started with Billy and was carried over by Perry, it still feels like a constant battle as to the how, why, where and when resources get allocated and who gets to choose how that's done.  Even if it feels like it's being done appropriately at times I'm just not overly confident that isn't the org just doing a better job of faking it.

From 30,000 feet Arte inherited a WS winning team and then rode the wave of that success to 5 playoff appearances in the first seven years.   Then it because one good season among several mediocre.  And finally into 7 consecutive losing seasons and fighting hard not to make it an eighth where you've had two of the best players in baseball and failed to the point where it really hasn't even been close. 

Or to put it another way, Arte inherited a 99 win WS winner and has turned it into a franchise that has averaged 76 wins for the last 7 seasons. 

What else can you say but you're doing it wrong.     

17 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

This is where I've been for awhile.  I'll take it back to post Stoneman actually.  That's when it really started to erode.  This entire franchise has been curling the tube of toothpaste tighter and tighter since Reagins took over.  Even with some improvement in the development pipeline that started with Billy and was carried over by Perry, it still feels like a constant battle as to the how, why, where and when resources get allocated and who gets to choose how that's done.  Even if it feels like it's being done appropriately at times I'm just not overly confident that isn't the org just doing a better job of faking it.

From 30,000 feet Arte inherited a WS winning team and then rode the wave of that success to 5 playoff appearances in the first seven years.   Then it because one good season among several mediocre.  And finally into 7 consecutive losing seasons and fighting hard not to make it an eighth where you've had two of the best players in baseball and failed to the point where it really hasn't even been close. 

Or to put it another way, Arte inherited a 99 win WS winner and has turned it into a franchise that has averaged 76 wins for the last 7 seasons. 

What else can you say but you're doing it wrong.     

By that logic, Disney was the best owner this franchise every had. Disney should repurchase the team and put them back in periwinkle and pinstripes. Then, they'd be a winning team again.

I'm not saying Arte isn't to blame. I'm saying that using team record to evaluate an owner isn't the best idea. That 30,000 foot view just isn't nuanced. 

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

By that logic, Disney was the best owner this franchise every had. Disney should repurchase the team and put them back in periwinkle and pinstripes. Then, they'd be a winning team again.

I'm not saying Arte isn't to blame. I'm saying that using team record to evaluate an owner isn't the best idea. That 30,000 foot view just isn't nuanced. 

I agree and it wasn't nuanced on purpose.    Go ahead and add the nuance if you'd like, but this franchise has averaged 76 wins over the last 7 years while having two generational players.  

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Just because it hasn't been said lately.  Bill Stoneman was great.

Why did Stoneman resign/get fired(?) as GM?

- speaking as someone who wasn’t following that part of the team that closely back then.

10 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Why did Stoneman resign/get fired(?) as GM?

- speaking as someone who wasn’t following that part of the team that closely back then.

Others will probably provide more insider info and/or conspiracy theories, but at the time he left, he gave the ol' "spend more time with family" reason:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=3066198

When he came back as interim GM in 2015 (after having been an adviser since he resigned), he did it only because it was an interim gig.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

When he came back as interim GM in 2015 (after having been an adviser since he resigned), he did it only because it was an interim gig.

Yeah, I remember him coming back as interim GM and not making any big moves at the deadline.

Who knows how different things might be if he stuck on for a few more years, but you can’t blame a guy for wanting to spend more time with his family.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, Trendon said:

Yeah, I remember him coming back as interim GM and not making any big moves at the deadline.

Who knows how different things might be if he stuck on for a few more years, but you can’t blame a guy for wanting to spend more time with his family.

His greatest strength seemed to be having Arte's confidence to the point where he kept his meddling to a minimum. Arte had gone on record as saying Miguel Tejada was his favorite player -- so much so that some in Oakland thought it was borderline tampering.  When MT became a FA everyone thought the Angels would be players but Stoneman pointed to the 56 toolsy middle IFers in the system and basically ended that talk.  He'd done the same thing to Tony Tavares years earlier.

All I know is he built one of the best scouting and development departments in MLB, and maybe more importantly they targeted players that fit into what MS would do...  Guys came up knowing how to move guys over, how to play defense, how to screw up on the basepaths (LOL, sorry but it was real). When JD came in and fired them the Yankees and BoSox were extremely quick to pick them up.  

Our loss was their gain.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:24 PM, Docwaukee said:

That is incorrect. Arte purchased a 77-85 team in 2003 and rebuilt it in 2004 once he had full financial control. That was 20 years ago so it is not as though the franchise suddenly collapsed under his ownership.