• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shortstop candidates for the Halos

Swordsman78

17 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Adames actually posted a superior fWAR to Correa in a similar amount of games - 4.7 vs 4.4.  I think Adames is pretty valuable.  He is not as good as Turner, but I think he's in the upper echelon.

Im not going to put him at the same level as those guys, bu again im not knocking him.  But if thats true we probably dont have the farm to trade for him anyway. 

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

There is no position on this you wont argue, but the point is simple, for once we ned to finish the job.  In the past we made the splash and let hole elsewhere filled with clean peanuts, or went cheap and stayed dry, so far this off season we have in my view made al the right moves so far that just needs to bow on top. 
Will they do it, probably not, but if they did it would make a tremendous difference.  

I disagree with you I’m not arguing with you. You are right, they need to finish the job. I believe the smart thing to do is to finish the job by improving the overall roster.  You feel they improve the team by going after the best player available. I’ll take three 3 win players for the price of that one 6 win player. 

18 hours ago, stormngt said:

If he is more of 2b than let him play 2b.  Fletcher to bench and Velazquez at short for defense.

Trade Rengifo 

Velazquez's defense was good but not good enough to make up for that black hole in the line up he created. Keeping him at SS does not help the team improve 

I think the Orioles are a legit candidate for Correa, and if they sign him it could displace Jorge Mateo who, despite a lot of flaws, also has a some upside. Occasionally great defense (it’s inconsistent, but solid) and flashes of offensive potential. Lots of speed, lots of swing and miss, decent power potential.

Not a top choice, but if they were opportunistic and went for the cheap/upside play with Mateo at SS, and perhaps invested in another arm or two for SP and RP, might not be the worst option in greater context of other moves.

Edited by totdprods

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

I disagree with you I’m not arguing with you. You are right, they need to finish the job. I believe the smart thing to do is to finish the job by improving the overall roster.  You feel they improve the team by going after the best player available. I’ll take three 3 win players for the price of that one 6 win player. 

You and i both know that logic hasnt worked for this club in the past.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And neither has signing high priced free agents.  So if we want to talk about this club and logic, those two probably cancel each other out.

I guess from my vantage point, just personally, I feel if you sign several players to small contracts, and try to create that "3 guys for 9 WAR" idea vs 1 guy for 6 WAR .. at least if the former doesn't pan out, since they are shorter contracts, you can just try again the next year.  Whereas if you sign someone to a big deal, and they get hurt/become ineffective, you basically can't pivot or adjust for many years.  

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I guess from my vantage point, just personally, I feel if you sign several players to small contracts, and try to create that "3 guys for 9 WAR" idea vs 1 guy for 6 WAR .. at least if the former doesn't pan out, since they are shorter contracts, you can just try again the next year.  Whereas if you sign someone to a big deal, and they get hurt/become ineffective, you basically can't pivot or adjust for many years.  

Yep. Also spending that much on one 6 win player means you are going to spend considerably less to fill those other two positions 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And neither has signing high priced free agents.  So if we want to talk about this club and logic, those two probably cancel each other out.

Thats fair... but for me it still comes down to what makes the club better to fit the need now.
Is a quality SP a better improvement than a quality SS?  SP was perhaps our best area last year where the bottom half of the lineup our worst so yeah, im looking at that for the biggest bang.

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

Thats fair... but for me it still comes down to what makes the club better to fit the need now.
Is a quality SP a better improvement than a quality SS?  SP was perhaps our best area last year where the bottom half of the lineup our worst so yeah, im looking at that for the biggest bang.

Right so you sign a pitcher and trade a pitcher for a SS.