• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell: Has he been given enough time to prove himself?

Torridd

No.  He is only 23.  Tons of players are much further along in age before they figure things out.  He was unfortunately rushed and was not given time to rectify his greatest weaknesses (plate discipline / pitch recognition, defense).  He just needs more time and to play every single day.  He also needs to "work on the process," so to speak, and ignore the results while in AAA.  He has time and so do we, but time is running out in the sense that he only has 1 option year left.  If he can't figure things out in a year, and isn't really a playable MLB player next year, we will have to let him go and some other time will likely sign him to a minor league deal, giving him another year in AAA to work on things.

If at 23 Adell has been given enough time to prove himself, then to be consistent you would have to release every player in your system that is 23 or over.  If Adell is a failure at 23 reaching the majors then the rest are worse since none of them could even get to the majors yet.

No it’s not over for Adell.  He may never been a star on defense but he still has time to level up with the bat and have a really good career.

Any player can ultimately be a bust on the downside, but at this point his upside is still a career with 300+ homers.

He's been given enough of an opportunity at the major league level to prove that he's not ready.  He actually shouldn't have been given as much of an opportunity as he has been.  And it doesn't mean he's not going to be good at some point.  He's got 5 more years of control and 1 option left.  Ideally, Renfroe stays healthy and productive and Jo can spend most of the year in AAA

I'm not sure he's made any fundamental progress in the last three years - and that is very worrisome. We all know the story: rushing him in 2020, which was mostly an honest mistake, then compounded by further call-ups with little to no sign that his issues had improved, perhaps not even really worked on (for some strange reason). 

The Angels need to (and I think, will) just keep him in AAA all year to work on pitch recognition, plate discipline, and defense. They should even tell him that there's a potential starting gig for him on the Angels - but not until 2024, so he should settle in and work on what he needs to work on. 

#Angels MGR Phil Nevin on MLBNR today: “Jo Adell is working his tail off in Arizona. I was out there a couple weeks ago, had dinner with him. He’s kept his baseball routine, he’s going into the complex three times a week. Really proud of the way he’s attacking his offseason.”

43 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I see a lot of AAA responses. Do you think he has much to learn there? I think it may be best if he became the fourth outfielder, maybe start twice a week. 

Absolutely. Consider....

AAA numbers (2022): .239/.333/.587, 20 walks and 56 Ks in 40 games. 

It is weird to note that his BB% in AA was 11.1% and 3.9% in the majors. I'm guessing some of that is due to pitchers trying to avoid the long-ball (he had a .348 ISO, which is Troutian). 

So right there is a huge area of possible improvement.

The 31.1 vs. 37.5 K% is more typical, in terms of translation. But that also could be improved.

Oh, and that .239 BA. That is unacceptable for a (former) top prospect in Salt Lake. 

18 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:
#Angels MGR Phil Nevin on MLBNR today: “Jo Adell is working his tail off in Arizona. I was out there a couple weeks ago, had dinner with him. He’s kept his baseball routine, he’s going into the complex three times a week. Really proud of the way he’s attacking his offseason.”

That's nice and all, but he's heading to AAA. There's no way he starts the year as the Angels 4th outfielder. They want him to play regularly, and he clearly has stuff to work on.

The only way I see Adell on the Angels next year is if someone gets injured and Moniak sucks as a replacement. So it is possible, and we'll probably see him at some point, but he's almost certainly starting the year in AAA.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Absolutely. Consider....

AAA numbers (2022): .239/.333/.587, 20 walks and 56 Ks in 40 games. 

It is weird to note that his BB% in AA was 11.1% and 3.9% in the majors. I'm guessing some of that is due to pitchers trying to avoid the long-ball (he had a .348 ISO, which is Troutian). 

So right there is a huge area of possible improvement.

The 31.1 vs. 37.5 K% is more typical, in terms of translation. But that also could be improved.

Oh, and that .239 BA. That is unacceptable for a (former) top prospect in Salt Lake. 

That's nice and all, but he's heading to AAA. There's no way he starts the year as the Angels 4th outfielder. They want him to play regularly, and he clearly has stuff to work on.

The Angels are historically infamous for keeping guys on the major league roster where they play a few times a week, rather than being allowed to develop in the minors.

It's like once they're called up, they have a year to perform or they're relegated to a platoon role.

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The Angels are historically infamous for keeping guys on the major league roster where they play a few times a week, rather than being allowed to develop in the minors.

It's like once they're called up, they have a year to perform or they're relegated to a platoon role.

Yeah, but with the Renfroe trade and Moniak in the fold, there's no starting job for him and I think it is clear that, right now, Moniak is a better player - or at least more useful as a 4OF.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

I see a lot of AAA responses. Do you think he has much to learn there? I think it may be best if he became the fourth outfielder, maybe start twice a week. 

We know he can hit the ball hard. What he needs to work on is his plate discipline and his defense. If he can't improve those at AAA, he's not ready for the big leagues. 

42 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

He's still got a shot to be a solid player, if he can work through his weaknesses on both sides of the ball. But this is kinda his last shot with the Angels. If he isn't ready in 2024, he'll probably be on the move to someone who has the luxury of time to devote a roster spot and major league AB's to him. 

16 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

He's still got a shot to be a solid player, if he can work through his weaknesses on both sides of the ball. But this is kinda his last shot with the Angels. If he isn't ready in 2024, he'll probably be on the move to someone who has the luxury of time to devote a roster spot and major league AB's to him. 

Renfroe and Moniak give a nice framing for Adell. Renfroe is signed through 2023, so there's an OF spot opening up for 2024. Moniak is his main competition for that job. Unless Adams magically transforms, there's no one on the horizon in the high minors. So I wouldn't call the 2024 job his to lose, but it is wide open for his taking. If both Adell and Moniak suck in 2023, they'll go elsewhere and, I suspect, move on from Adell and use him as a trade chip for someone wanting a reclamation project.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that there was no 2020 minor league season due to the pandemic. That was essentially a lost season for Adell. He got a cup of coffee in the majors in 2020 and 2021 (38 and 35 games respectively) before playing in 88 games this past season. That is hardly enough time to adjust to the majors, especially with him losing a season of minor league development along the way.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I am glad that he knows that his game needs work, and he is spending time at our complex in Arizona working.  He needs to close up some of the holes in his swing, especially on sliders. 

And a lot of work on his footwork and routes in the OF.  I've seen high school outfielders take better routes than he does.  Hopefully, that improves. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, but with the Renfroe trade and Moniak in the fold, there's no starting job for him and I think it is clear that, right now, Moniak is a better player - or at least more useful as a 4OF.

Moniak has never hit at the MLB level, I don't get all the admiration for this guy. He shouldn't be on the roster, the Angels need to find something better for a 4th outfielder rather than a black hole on the offense again should that player be needed for a long term substitute. 

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Moniak has never hit at the MLB level, I don't get all the admiration for this guy. He shouldn't be on the roster, the Angels need to find something better for a 4th outfielder rather than a black hole on the offense again should that player be needed for a long term substitute. 

Moniak has all of 167 PA at the major league level - just a bit more than Adell in 2020 or '21. He at least deserves a longer look, especially considering how he played in AAA last year (also not much time, but very good). 

The way I see it is that he's not worse than Adell with the bat, and significantly better defensively - thus a better 4th outfielder. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the Angels put him in AAA with Adell, and sign a more experienced 4th outfielder on the cheap.

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This.

If an injury happens in the OF, I don’t love the idea of Adell or Moniak being the immediate fill-in.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Also for off days: Who plays outfield once a week in each spot? That's might be 3 games (all three spots combined) every 7-14 days we need someone to fill in. If healthy, Walsh or Fletcher could play that spot, or Moniak/Adell. But none of those is that exciting. At the same time, the budget isn't unlimited. 

While not the likely option, if we acquire a SS, Rengifo likely becomes the super utility player.  He's started some games in LF/RF, and he could potentially make some spot starts there.  Same with Walsh - he too could start an occasional game in LF/RF.  If Trout needs a day off, either Ward or Renfroe could shift to CF for the day, with one of the aforementioned players shifting to the vacated corner OF spot.

I suspect Moniak would be the preferred roster option, but those are at least possibilities that could potentially lead to Moniak playing in AAA instead of the MLB roster, if he isn't deemed ready.

Or, alternatively - acquire a 4th OF.