• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell: Has he been given enough time to prove himself?

Torridd

On 11/23/2022 at 9:05 AM, Dtwncbad said:

If at 23 Adell has been given enough time to prove himself, then to be consistent you would have to release every player in your system that is 23 or over.  If Adell is a failure at 23 reaching the majors then the rest are worse since none of them could even get to the majors yet.

No it’s not over for Adell.  He may never been a star on defense but he still has time to level up with the bat and have a really good career.

Any player can ultimately be a bust on the downside, but at this point his upside is still a career with 300+ homers.

He has had ample opportunities to show some real improvement at the plate and in the field. He is an outstanding athlete but he lacks basic baseball instincts. When he was drafted with the tenth pick, he came with a lot of swing and miss in his game. This hasn’t changed up to this point. The fact that he still takes bad routes to the ball in the outfield after five years in the organization tells me he lacks the ability to focus in the field. 
At the plate, he still has way below average pitch recognition which is essential to cutting down on strikeouts. 
He  should spend this next season in AAA to be drilled in the fundamentals once again to see if he has a breakthrough. He has little trade value at this point so he has to improve by a lot or he will probably be moved next offseason. 

1 hour ago, TroutCron said:

He has had ample opportunities to show some real improvement at the plate and in the field. He is an outstanding athlete but he lacks basic baseball instincts. When he was drafted with the tenth pick, he came with a lot of swing and miss in his game. This hasn’t changed up to this point. The fact that he still takes bad routes to the ball in the outfield after five years in the organization tells me he lacks the ability to focus in the field. 
At the plate, he still has way below average pitch recognition which is essential to cutting down on strikeouts. 
He  should spend this next season in AAA to be drilled in the fundamentals once again to see if he has a breakthrough. He has little trade value at this point so he has to improve by a lot or he will probably be moved next offseason. 

What does anything you said have anything to do with what I said?

16 hours ago, TroutCron said:

Which is why Adell needed more continual time in the minors, to work on those issues in a less stressful environment.

We saw some defense improvement in the second half of 2022 after going to SLC to work on it.

Biggest mistake was promoting him in 2020 to MLB at age 21, just because of no minor league season.   Should have let him stay in AZ when the 2020 workouts were going on, and then spend 2021 in AAA.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I did a random search of Angels top prospect lists where Jo Adell was listed. The descriptions talked about his power and speed, but none of them that I read talked about his defense. If it was average I’d understand but it had to have been even worse than it is now as he worked his way through the minors. One even talked about what a great outfield they’d have with Adell playing next to Trout. 

I may have been the only one surprised that he was so bad defensively…

73.1%

That's the number Jo Adell and all those around him have to figure out and improve.  

That's his contact rate on pitches in the strike zone.   Of the 2930 qualified seasons over the last 20 years, that would be the 14th worst.

So whatever needs to be done to either mask or improve that or both is what he should be working on wherever that needs to be.  

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

73.1%

That's the number Jo Adell and all those around him have to figure out and improve.  

That's his contact rate on pitches in the strike zone.   Of the 2930 qualified seasons over the last 20 years, that would be the 14th worst.

So whatever needs to be done to either mask or improve that or both is what he should be working on wherever that needs to be.  

Marcus Thames said, in The Athletic, of Adell:

“But, No. 1, for me, I want him to be athletic. … His timing might be off a little bit.”

Seems like using his athleticism and locking in his timing would help him improve his z-contact%

To answer the thread title, no he hasn't. He's still very young. His career can go to either extreme (hall of fame, Brandon wood), and all points in between.

That said, the one thing there has been enough time to prove is whether or not the skills and attitude are there. Can he reliably be bet on to become a good baseball player.

And I have no idea. I don't watch near enough, and don't know how to sift through information that says yes or no to that.

But I imagine our front office, and rival ones, know.

On 11/30/2022 at 11:04 AM, Docwaukee said:

73.1%

And you just know some other organization would quickly figure out the timing issue and he'd become an all star.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:34 PM, TroutCron said:

Agree.  He's 23 years old, but he makes the mistakes of a 13-year old.  Perhaps bring him back up when he's 33?