• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If we can only get one major player...

Torridd

I assume you mean among those available (so no Tatis or Soto)? In terms of who would make the most impact in the win-loss columns next year? Aaron Judge would be the obvious choice, followed by one of the shortstops - Correa, Turner, Bogaerts, Swanson. Rodon among pitchers or, if Verlander repeats 2022, he's up there. 

But in terms of what position the Angels most need filled with a solid major leaguer, I think OF. The Angels can use improvement at C, 1B, MI, and OF, but I think O'Hoppe will shortly take care of catcher, and Walsh has a chance of bouncing back to at least decent levels. So it comes down to MI vs. OF, and I'm more comfortable with Rengifo/Fletcher/Soto platooning at SS/2B/UT than I am Moniak/Adell in LF.

Turner. Let’s you gamble a little on Walsh coming back healthy. The Turner/Rengifo/Rendon/Walsh infield with Fletcher as the super utility has risks still but I’d be pretty stoked going into the season with that.

However, I think the odds of Turner being an Angel are less than 1% so a more realistic choice would be a 1B who can play a little outfield with a solid hit tool. Josh Bell maybe? Doubt he’s a realistic choice either but more so than Turner.

5 hours ago, Torridd said:

...what position should he have and why? If you have someone in mind, let me know.

OF.

and if can be any major player, Judge.

Realistically, if I can have one major player, Brandon Nimmo.

This team needs an OF to go with Trout and Ward, and Nimmo would fill the leadoff spot and be a good 3-4 WAR OF that the Angels could plug in at LF.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

OF.

and if can be any major player, Judge.

Realistically, if I can have one major player, Brandon Nimmo.

This team needs an OF to go with Trout and Ward, and Nimmo would fill the leadoff spot and be a good 3-4 WAR OF that the Angels could plug in at LF.

Nimmo would be my choice too because he knows how to get on base, can actually play CF, and let's be real ...the Angels need some insurance there.  Conforto looking to make good might end up being attractive to them if they are once again looking for a ONE YEAR stopgap until the ownership situation gets resolved.  Myers is another guy that may be looking at because he can play 1B too.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nimmo would be my choice too because he knows how to get on base, can actually play CF, and let's be real ...the Angels need some insurance there.  Conforto looking to make good might end up being attractive to them if they are once again looking for a ONE YEAR stopgap until the ownership situation gets resolved.  Myers is another guy that may be looking at because he can play 1B too.

One appeal of Conforto over Nimmo is he should be cheaper, likely wants a shorter term deal, and will have no QO attached. Obviously, though, he’s not as good a defender and is coming off shoulder surgery.

Yeah, I mentioned Myers in another thread as a good fit who should be cheaper than other 1B options.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

One appeal of Conforto over Nimmo is he should be cheaper, likely wants a shorter term deal, and will have no QO attached. Obviously, though, he’s not as good a defender and is coming off shoulder surgery.

Yeah, I mentioned Myers in another thread as a good fit who should be cheaper than other 1B options.

I am hoping the new ownership won’t mean chasing the cheaper player strictly to spend less.  We all “hate” the huge spending teams that get all the best players, but I would gladly welcome the Angels being exactly the same way.

8 hours ago, Lou said:

They're doing it again.

I want to dream on certain players as well - from a baseball standpoint only of course.  

But this year in particular it's tough for me to feel a ton of confidence that we'll pursue anyone for more than a 1yr deal if they're even remotely expensive.  I.e. anything above 10m per.