• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022 College Football Thread

On 12/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, St1ck said:

That sucks. I liked Leach. Dude was a character. My mom had some weird hatred for him and we could never figure out why.

It is amazing when you look at the impact that he has had on college football (which I significantly underestimated), and the number of current coaches who either played for him or coached with him.

When he was at Texas Tech, there was a quarterback on the roster who Leach saw something in - but not as a player. He told the player that he might never see the field, but he would like to have him on staff as a student assistant. The angry player stormed out of the office, thought it over, and then came back to take the job.

The player was Lincoln Riley.

There have been a lot of stories that have come out since Leach's death. He didn't play college football. He was a rugby player at Brigham Young who majored in law. Somewhere along the way, he started studying offense under legendary BYU coach LaVell Edwards, back when BYU was one of just a handful of college teams that used the passing game extensively. Leach was intrigued, and over time he came up with his own system, which revolutionized the way that college offenses operate today.

Fj4UgC8XEAAJw36?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

5 hours ago, St1ck said:

I always figured it was because of the NFL. 

what i've always heard is that there's a city ordinance that requires the game and the parade be delayed to monday so that they don't have any interruptions to or interference with local church services.

barstool sports is reporting that Ohio State is being "outbid on recruits by as much as a million dollars."

in the comments section, several people have mentioned NIL's - can someone explain what that means? and why are schools bidding on high school players? 

16 hours ago, Tank said:

barstool sports is reporting that Ohio State is being "outbid on recruits by as much as a million dollars."

in the comments section, several people have mentioned NIL's - can someone explain what that means? and why are schools bidding on high school players? 

NIL, or Name, Image, Likeness is a way college athletes can make money by selling their marketing rights to potential companies without the penalty of losing their amateur status.

In the “old days” (about 2 years ago) if a college athlete took ANY money from anyone, he or she was considered a paid athlete and their amateur status was voided.  Think PGA golf for example.

Now, athletes can market themselves for a negotiated amount and can reap that benefit.  Where it’s getting convoluted is, let’s say, a big car dealership in Texas is offering a recruit $2.5 million if he signs with Texas, where as Ohio State offered the same athlete $1 million for a local Buick dealership in Columbus.  If you were 18 years old, what would you choose?

Therein lies the rub.  Schools with major marketing, ie USC, UCLA, Texas, the SEC, etc can easily out price other schools like Kansas State by telling recruits that if they verbal or commit to THEIR school, they can have lucrative NIL deals, like Caleb Williams did.

I hope that somewhat explains it @Tank

Edited by PattyD22

22 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

NIL, or Name, Image, Likeness is a way college athletes can make money by selling the marketing rights to potential companies without the penalty of losing their amateur status.

In the “old days” (about 2 years ago) if a college athlete took ANY money from anyone, he or she was considered a paid athlete and their amateur status was voided.  Think PGA golf for example.

Now, athletes can market themselves for a negotiated amount and can reap that benefit.  Where it’s getting convoluted is, let’s say, a big car dealership in Texas is offering a recruit $2.5 million if he signs with Texas, where as Ohio State offered the same athlete $1 million for a local Buick dealership in Columbus.  If you were 18 years old, what would you choose?

Therein lies the rub.  Schools with major marketing, ie USC, UCLA, Texas, the SEC, etc can easily out price other schools like Kansas State by telling recruits that if they verbal or commit to THEIR school, they can have lucrative NIL deals, like Caleb Williams did.

I hope that somewhat explains it @Tank

so it sounds like a form of college free agency.

thanks for the detailed explanation and examples.

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

so it sounds like a form of college free agency.

thanks for the detailed explanation and examples.

A better example would be that boosters no longer need to hide behind bushes and dark alleys to give recruits bags of cash like they used to do.

Now it’s all legal and out in the open, and the boosters can use their business to help “recruit” an athlete.   In a round about way.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

It was the NCAA getting players paid without having to share their profits. It's fucking terrible for college sports. 

Why? I imagine it makes the quality of play better and more competitive overall. 

Guys can stay in school an extra year in school instead of declaring for the draft. If you're a day one or two pick in the NFL draft you probably go, but let's say you're a 4th - 7th round player. You can make equal or more money on an NIL and stay in school for another year or two and hope to improve your draft stock. If you're a QB you could make even more like DTR on UCLA. In the NBA guys who aren't lottery picks may opt to stay and guys who would be late second round picks or lottery picks can take the money and stay. Jaime Jaquez and Tiger Campbell on UCLA are great examples of this. They are both really good college players who make the game better but might not have stayed if not for NIL. 

Additionally, in football you may get a lot of good players transferring from top schools and sitting on the bench because they can get more money to start elsewhere. Why be the 3rd QB on Bama when you can get paid to go to Oregon or Washington and get playing time so you can get paid more? A backup or 3rd string QB just isn't worth the same amount of money as a starter.

I think my first point will have a bigger impact than the second. The top schools will probably have the most money to spend, but let's not pretend Bama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, tOSU, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame weren't getting all the best recruits before this either.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

It was the NCAA getting players paid without having to share their profits. It's fucking terrible for college sports. 

I think if it was more regulated, it wouldn’t be bad.  I feel as though athletes should be compensated if their school is using their image to profit from it.  The money shouldn’t go to the school, their endowments and profits from TV revenue is plenty.

But there should be some regulations or a cap to it.  

The transfer portal is 100 times worse in my opinion.  

On 12/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, PattyD22 said:

I think if it was more regulated, it wouldn’t be bad.  I feel as though athletes should be compensated if their school is using their image to profit from it.  The money shouldn’t go to the school, their endowments and profits from TV revenue is plenty.

But there should be some regulations or a cap to it.  

The transfer portal is 100 times worse in my opinion.  

Like most things, the NCAA did nothing to get ahead of it, even when they knew that it was inevitable. One thing that needs to happen pronto is to set limits on when players can enter the transfer portal. Players should not be able to enter the portal during the season ever. My suggestion is to limit it to the month of February. Seasons are over, but it would still allow players to be in camp during spring practice.

When the transfer portal started, a player had to have a legitimate reason to transfer. I knew that it was going to become a free-for-all when Justin Fields was allowed to transfer from Georgia to Ohio State. His "hardship" was that he wasn't starting.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

3 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Like most things, the NCAA did nothing to get ahead of it, even when they knew that it was inevitable. One thing that needs to happen pronto is to set limits on when players can enter the transfer portal. Players should not be able to enter the portal during the season ever. My suggestion is to limit it to the month of February. Seasons are over, but it would still allow players to be in camp during spring practice.

When the transfer portal started, a player had to have a legitimate reason to transfer. I knew that it was going to become a free-for-all when Justin Fields was allowed to transfer from Georgia to Ohio State. His "hardship" was that he wasn't starting.

This is a great post @Vegas Halo Fan.  I’d even say it would be better if players can only enter the portal the week after the late signing period in February, so as not to screw over potential recruits who all aren’t 5 star players.

That way they wouldn’t get screwed over by players coming in via the portal when they’ve been committed to the school for a period of time, kind of like what’s happening at Colorado with Coach “bag of cash” Prime.

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

This is a great post @Vegas Halo Fan.  I’d even say it would be better if players can only enter the portal the week after the late signing period in February, so as not to screw over potential recruits who all aren’t 5 star players.

That way they wouldn’t get screwed over by players coming in via the portal when they’ve been committed to the school for a period of time, kind of like what’s happening at Colorado with Coach “bag of cash” Prime.

There is a balance to be struck and, to be honest, I didn't look at any calendars in coming up with February. Your proposal makes even more sense. It would hardly be fair for a high school commit to stick with a given school, only to be told sorry, kid, you have been bumped by a portal transfer and there is no scholarship for you.

• 2 weeks later...

This game just went insane. 44 points scored in the 3rd quarter and TCU just started the 4th quarter with a fumble on their 27 yard line. 

Two plays later Wolverines score a touchdown and then complete the 2 point conversion, this game is now 41-38 TCU. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This game just went insane. 44 points scored in the 3rd quarter and TCU just started the 4th quarter with a fumble on the 27 yard line. 

It would have seemed odd but I thought tcu should have run the clock out on the 1 instead of scoring. Save that td or fg for the 4th.