• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chase Silseth suspended for hitting batter with pitch in AA

mmc

1 hour ago, m0nkey said:

Ok if we think hitting Torii there is intentional, then by all means.  Just where would you draw the line in "protecting your teammates" vs getting the other guys out?

i wonder if there's some history between these two teams or these two players. could be a factor.

As a cricketer, I find this aspect of baseball to be a little on the soft side. Only one baseball player has died due to an impact by the ball, Ray Chapman way back in 1920, and it is generally frowned upon to deliberately hit a batter in professional baseball. Twelve cricketers have died after being hit by a cricket ball, the most recent being Aussie international batsman Phil Hughes in 2014, and yet it is a fair and widely encouraged practice to aim at the batsman's head and body when playing cricket.

If you are hit in baseball you are awarded 1st base and your opponent is often suspended; if you are hit in cricket, you have to face the same bowler for the next ball and he could very well try to do it again, (they usually do). A cricket ball is smaller, harder, and heavier than a baseball and when it hits you, even with the padding, it really bloody hurts. Overcoming the fear of that is a cornerstone of batting in cricket and really does 'sort the men from the boys' on the playing field. 

Give the batters better helmets and let the pitchers bean away, I say, it would add a little spice to the game.

It not the deaths but injuries that sideline careers. Tim Salmon almost had his career ended in the minor leagues being hit in the face shattering his jaw. He spent two months with his jaw wired shut and came close to a catastrophic eye injury. Other players were not so lucky and it is unnecessary to be intentionally injuring players. Or maybe you like Trout missing game to broken hands?

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

SP suspensions are usually a joke. I mean if he was suspended 7 days that's essentially an extra day off. Not a big deal. 

Are players still paid during a suspension?  I don't know, but assume they are not.