• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels top 2 draft picks, 2010-22

It really doesn't look so good...

2010: 1st - Kaleb Cowart (-1.4 WAR), Cam Bedrosian (1.7 WAR), Chevy Clarke, Taylor Lindsey, Ryan Bolden - all duds. After one of the best drafts ever, this was one of the worst. Evidently Cowart is in the minors as a reliever, but Bedrosian hasn't played this year and the other three are out of baseball (one dead, RIP).2nd - Daniel Tillman. Who? Kole Calhoun (15.1 WAR) was drafted in the 8th round.

2011: 1st - CJ Cron (13.5 WAR); 3rd - Nick Maronde (-0.7). Cron was blocked by Pujols, and has become a pretty good player. This was the year that Mike Clevinger was drafted, in the fourth round.

2012: No picks in the first two rounds. F'n Pujols and Wilson. RJ Alvarez was the top pick; he pitched a bit in 2014-15 but didn't fare well and is out of baseball.

2013: 2nd - Hunter Green. No 1st round pick (f'n Hamilton). Green pitched 16.2 IP in 2013 in Rookie ball and that's it (injury).

2014: 1st - Sean Newcomb (3.0 WAR); 2nd - Joe Gatto. More duds. At least Newcomb partially got the Angels a few years of Andrelton Simmons.

2015: 1st - Taylor Ward (1.7 WAR); 2nd - Jahmai Jones (-0.5 WAR). Well, Ward has turned out better than we feared. Jones has played in 26 games for the Orioles this year, though badly. David Fletcher (9.7 WAR) was drafted in the 6th round.

2016: 1st - Matt Thaiss (-0.2 WAR); 2nd - Brandon Marsh (1.0). Thaiss is, at best, a bench player. Marsh - it remains to be seen. The Angels also crafted Chris Rodriguez (0.5 WAR) in the 4th round.

2017: 1st - Jo Adell (-1.8 WAR); 2nd - Griffin Canning (2.5). Both deserve the benefit of the doubt, but it isn't looking good - especially for Adell. David MacKInnon was drafted in the 32nd round.

2018: 1st - Jordyn Adams; 2nd - Jeremiah Jackson. Too soon to tell, but Adams has disappointed so far. Jackson looks pretty good, but somewhat mixed. Some potentially useful arms in later rounds (Warren, Wantz, Criswell), and of course Kyle Bradish was drafted in the 4th round.

2019: 1st - Wil Wilson; 2nd - Kyren Paris. WIlson is elsewhere and doing OK in the Giants system. Paris has struggled this year. Others of note: Jack Kochanowicz (3rd round). Not sure what happened to Erik Rivera (4th). Davis Daniel was drafted in the 7th and is in AAA.  Darkhorse: Coleman Crow (28th round).

2020: 1st - Reid Detmers (1.3 WAR); 2nd - none (f'n Rendon). Detmers is solid and with potential. Calabrese (3rd) has struggled, but Werner Blakely (3rd) and Adam Seminaris (4th) are doing well. Only four rounds.

2021: 1st - Sam Bachman; 2nd - Ky Bush. Lots of pitchers, including Chase Silseth (11th round) - also Landon Marceaux, Luke Murphy, Brety Kerry, Ryan Costeiu, Mason Erla, etc. Could turn out to be a pretty good draft.

2022: 1st - Zach Neto; No second round pick (F'n...? Tepera? Loup?). Some interesting picks, such as Ben Joyce in the 3rd round, but way too soon to tell.

SUMMARY:

The Angels amateur draft hasn't yielded ANY stars since 2009. There are a few good players, and a few more with potential, but it doesn't look too good so far.

1 minute ago, TroutField said:

This is why the team badly needs a rebuild, although they clearly don’t develop players so what will even come of the rebuild? 

I have zero trust in this team to get it right any time soon. 

We have no idea how a Minasian lead Angels develop. 

I don’t think the GM has a ton to do with the development of players. I think it had more to do with coaching and managing of the players. How often do you think a GM interacts with a minor league player or rookie? 

Might be why I said a Minasian lead

9 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I don’t think the GM has a ton to do with the development of players. I think it had more to do with coaching and managing of the players. How often do you think a GM interacts with a minor league player or rookie? 

But the GM oversees everything - and hires and fires coaches. So as Stradling said, a "Minasian lead." Might take a few years, though.

The 2021 draft makes me hesitantly optimistic about 2022. While it is too soon to see how the 2021 guys do, we're seeing a lot more minor league success from them than any crop in years. I mean, the rest of the drafts before it on that list were varying degrees of shitshow. 

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Might be why I said a Minasian lead

Yeah and I said how does the GM impact the player development? 
what has changed since Minasian took over (coaches, minor league instructors, etc) and if something changed, why are these guys failing so miserably with Adell, Marsh, etc and why should we believe they are going to get better at developing players? 

11 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Yeah and I said how does the GM impact the player development? 
what has changed since Minasian took over (coaches, minor league instructors, etc) and if something changed, why are these guys failing so miserably with Adell, Marsh, etc and why should we believe they are going to get better at developing players? 

Because development takes longer than 18 months?

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because development takes longer than 18 months?

We went from a middle in the pack team to one of the worst in baseball in those 18 months 

You can be hopeful all you want, this entire organization has been shit since 2010, and GM and Manager changes haven’t improved things at all. 

We went from a middle in the pack team to one of the worst in baseball in those 18 months 

You can be hopeful all you want, this entire organization has been shit since 2010, and GM and Manager changes haven’t improved things at all. 

We won 98 games in 2014.

14 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Once again, this discussion is about development and that takes longer than 18 months. 

You’re the king of having conversations go in circles. 

good day, sir 

Dude you are the one that took it in circles, I am getting you to stay in the actual discussion instead of going off on tangents.  

Erik Rivera is actually on the 60-day IL at Low-A. Not sure if he’s pitching or playing OF. William Holmes (formerly English) is nowhere to be seen. 

I think we’ve seen evidence this year of better instruction. AA pitchers are doing well, AAA coach helped Detmers. Several Low-A hitters are doing well. What we lack is a true upside star. Neto could be it. Maybe others continue their growth. But we don’t have a guy that other teams target. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Dude you are the one that took it in circles, I am getting you to stay in the actual discussion instead of going off on tangents.  

No, I was trying to have a discussion about how much the GM impacts player development. 

you kept going in circles by saying “it’s been 18 months” and in those 18 months we have gotten worse and the player development is still awful, I haven’t seen any new coaches, minor league instructors, etc that have changed. Is he waiting 24 months before he starts to re-staff the system orrrrr? 
I didn’t realize having a conversation about the Angels on Angelswin equals a tangent. But I digress. 

7 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Yes. Show the f***ing Dodgers. They are so much better at drafting and developing.

Is it because they put more money into scouting and development and billboard man won't?

I hate agreeing with this but it’s true. 

11 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Yes. Show the f***ing Dodgers. They are so much better at drafting and developing.

Is it because they put more money into scouting and development and billboard man won't?

I can do the Dodgers a bit later, although their strength has also been in international signings.