• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Royals (July 25th, 2022) Syndergaard on the mound

Chuck

I still think that at least part of the problem will umpire accuracy is caused by increase velocity and increased spin rate. And the increase in outrage over the strike zone is the TV strike zone box, which isn’t the official strike zone.  

2 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

If you have to frame the pitch, it's not a strike, and the umpires should be making those ball and strike calls accordingly. 

I agree in part. However there are alot of heavy sinkers and curveballs that actually cross the plate but fall outside of the zone after passing through. Being that it’s a 3 dimensional strike zone rather than a 2 dimensional, the framing makes a difference. Hence why you see good catchers snap the pitch back into place. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I agree in part. However there are alot of heavy sinkers and curveballs that actually cross the plate but fall outside of the zone after passing through. Being that it’s a 3 dimensional strike zone rather than a 2 dimensional, the framing makes a difference. Hence why you see good catchers snap the pitch back into place. 

Yep. 

Just now, Stradling said:

I still think that at least part of the problem will umpire accuracy is caused by increase velocity and increased spin rate. And the increase in outrage over the strike zone is the TV strike zone box, which isn’t the official strike zone.  

Buddy of mine says the D'Backs WS was on TV at a bar somewhere and stated how strange it was to watch the game without the TV strike zone box, and it definitely gives the umpires more of the benefit of the doubt. 

I'm going to keep saying this because I truly believe at the core of the problem is the players mentalities: If the players are that concerned about the umpires making correct ball and strike calls, they can't just bitch about it when it goes against them then have the attitude "we'll take it!" when it does go their way. A pitcher at some point is going to have to tell the umpire "no, that's not a strike, I'm not taking that gift, get the batter in the box and I'll get him on a real strike 3." Because if they're expecting the umpires to be held accountable, they need to be held accountable by both dugouts whether or not the calls go their way. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

But pitches are supposed to be called as to where they originally cross the plate, not where it ends up. Thus, A catcher snapping a ball back into the strike zone should be irrelevant.

This is all on the umpires not being good at their job.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

But pitches are supposed to be called as to where they originally cross the plate, not where it ends up. Thus, A catcher snapping a ball back into the strike zone should be irrelevant.

But the umpire isn't positioned to see where it crosses the plate. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

I agree. I’m referring to the framing being important currently. A human isn’t necessarily going to see that. It’s currently the catchers job to sell that to him. A robo ump is almost a must at this point.