• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Future of the Angels Outfield

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I would consider trading Adell or Ward but only for a front line starter with 3 years of control.  And hell no to bogaerts or any other half year rental for any of these guys.  Boston shouldn't and wouldn't expect that type of return anyway.  If they do, they're not getting squat from the Angels.  

^^^This^^^ I wouldn't trade Adell for a rental.....I might for a starting pitcher I really like (Castillo, Mahle).... I wouldn't trade Marsh, period.....

I understood and agreed with Adell being sent down, BUT... that was somewhat predicated on the assumption that the replacement would be Rojas or a legitimate OF option.
If were going to be running out infielders in the OF or some other makeshift lineup i dont really see the sense in that, you might as well bring him back and just let him work thru it on the job.
At this point hes going to make some errors, and hes going to K more than he should, but lets also not forget his age.  
It comes down to this, what better, him in LF or what weve been doing for a lot of the time since he was sent down.
I know other issues injuries and such have been a factor, but still, that only illustrates the lack of real depth without him.

I feel good about the future of our infield, outfield, and everything in between. As a fan for over 25 years, that feeling has been rarer than I would have liked lol. But just enjoying the team we have right now.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

I understood and agreed with Adell being sent down, BUT... that was somewhat predicated on the assumption that the replacement would be Rojas or a legitimate OF option.
If were going to be running out infielders in the OF or some other makeshift lineup i dont really see the sense in that, you might as well bring him back and just let him work thru it on the job.
At this point hes going to make some errors, and hes going to K more than he should, but lets also not forget his age.  
It comes down to this, what better, him in LF or what weve been doing for a lot of the time since he was sent down.
I know other issues injuries and such have been a factor, but still, that only illustrates the lack of real depth without him.

I would think there is more value in letting him play every single day and try to specifically work on his deficiencies, even if it leads to a mediocre stat line in the process.

His defense is so bad right now that I don't want to see him roaming around in the OF.  I agree that it is rather suboptimal to see Mayfield out there though.  I would rather see Whitefield get starts over Mayfield, simply because he's a superior defender with great speed.

All that said, ideally, Maddon will just let Marsh get starts against LHP and not really platoon him, thus rendering the 4th OF as someone who gets maybe 1-2 starts per week.

With Adell, I think it really comes down to defense. If he had the same offensive issues but even average defense, he's probably still be on the big league club. Meaning, he wouldn't be so much worse that he couldn't snag a start or two from Marsh each week, and get another one from the other two outfielders, and the stray DH at-bat and have a role on the bench.

Meaning, I think we really have to consider his hitting and defense separately. His hitting isn't good, but it isn't terrible - and will almost certainly improve. But his defense is not major league caliber at all, not even really minor league caliber. And frankly, I don't know what happened - or rather, what didn't happen along the way, that he could make it to the majors without the Angels development team not addressing and at least improving the problem along the way. It is somewhat baffling. I mean, I know major leaguers make it look easier than it actually is, but playing LF or RF isn't that hard - especially when you've done it for 10-15 years like Adell. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

With Adell, I think it really comes down to defense. If he had the same offensive issues but even average defense, he's probably still be on the big league club. Meaning, he wouldn't be so much worse that he couldn't snag a start or two from Marsh each week, and get another one from the other two outfielders, and the stray DH at-bat and have a role on the bench.

Meaning, I think we really have to consider his hitting and defense separately. His hitting isn't good, but it isn't terrible - and will almost certainly improve. But his defense is not major league caliber at all, not even really minor league caliber. And frankly, I don't know what happened - or rather, what didn't happen along the way, that he could make it to the majors without the Angels development team not addressing and at least improving the problem along the way. It is somewhat baffling. I mean, I know major leaguers make it look easier than it actually is, but playing LF or RF isn't that hard - especially when you've done it for 10-15 years like Adell. 

Joe OPS+ is 97 which means just under average.  That isn't bad.  Your right about defense.  However, a lot of that maybe due to position changes.   Most of his minor league experience had him in CF.  After his miserable Covid season he was trained in RF.  This year, because of Ward, he was moved to LF.

I think Perry’s long term strategy is to fill future starting pitching depth needs mostly by developing the 20 pitchers he drafted last year, and the ones he may draft this year, and not by trading away promising young position player talent. This is because trading for or acquiring proven aces in free agency is super expensive, and then they can be fragile and play every 6 days, not every day when healthy. If the 20 draftee strategy works, we have years of young quality pitchers under control coming up. When they go out for Tommy John, you’re not paying them $30M or whatever to rehab. So you can spend it on Ohtani, Trout and in the future hopefully Ward and Marsh. And you haven’t ravaged your position player prospects coming up. May have to ink the occasional Syndegard, Lorenzen to fill gaps until the plan comes to full fruition. I think it is the way to go from the position they are currently in. As long as the 20 draft plan produces one or two great starters each year, it will be interesting for years. Detmers looks great. Bachman coming along. We’ll see what Siltheth looks like tonight.