• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simmons?

Erstad Grit

ijvx7sni7yxdij7nmkuf.jpeg

Wow did he fall off the baseball radar. He went from being an elite defensive SS to being not even mentioned as a FA SS.

Normally I don't advocate a "bring that former Angel back" campaign because it is usually rooted in emotion. (For me Wally Joyner and Jim Abbott) 

However Simmons seems like he has potential be a buy low option if we spend our budget on pitching. I don't care about his bat, but can someone explain why/did his defensiveness really fall off the cliff? Is he done? 

Upgrading our pitching and more ground balls could make a healthy Simmons a sneaky inexpensive path. 

I think this is totally viable, unless he burned any bridges with his impromptu end-of-season opt-out. 

He seemed to be fairly anti-vax too, and at this point not sure if that ever becomes a sticking point in any MLB clubhouses (not to open a can of worms or anything, but, if there was a team that was almost entirely vaccinated, I could see hesitancy in bringing in someone who isn't).

Edited by totdprods

I would be pretty happy if we signed him for a cheap 1 year deal in the 1-4mil range. Granted, i have no idea how much he is projected to sign for but i think it would be a good move to have guaranteed gold glove defense at SS when we're signing/looking at a lot of groundball pitchers

If he's hitting to a .750 OPS his defense makes him a plus sign. In his career with Atlanta he had one .750 OPS year followed by a .692 year, then two years in the low to mid .600's. Then they traded him to us. He immediately went back to a .690 OPS, followed by two good years in the .750's. Followed that up with a .673 OPS then missed half the games in a pandemic shortened season at .702. Then went to Minnesota and his offense cratered to a .558 OPS.

His defense is still elite, but he's not going to produce the 4.4 / 7.9 / 5.7 bWAR if he's not hitting somewhat efficiently. And I know average is a bad stat, but he dropped to a .223 AVG.

I'd rather give Davis a shot than bring Simmons back at this point. There are a lot of elite defenders, if not quite as good as Simmons who can hit to a sub .600 OPS.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I think this is totally viable, unless he burned any bridges with his impromptu end-of-season opt-out. 

He seemed to be fairly anti-vax too, and at this point not sure if that ever becomes a sticking point in any MLB clubhouses (not to open a can of worms or anything, but, if there was a team that was almost entirely vaccinated, I could see hesitancy in bringing in someone who isn't).

So now the angels can’t sign un vaxxed players 

lol 

54 minutes ago, Hubs said:

If he's hitting to a .750 OPS his defense makes him a plus sign. In his career with Atlanta he had one .750 OPS year followed by a .692 year, then two years in the low to mid .600's. Then they traded him to us. He immediately went back to a .690 OPS, followed by two good years in the .750's. Followed that up with a .673 OPS then missed half the games in a pandemic shortened season at .702. Then went to Minnesota and his offense cratered to a .558 OPS.

His defense is still elite, but he's not going to produce the 4.4 / 7.9 / 5.7 bWAR if he's not hitting somewhat efficiently. And I know average is a bad stat, but he dropped to a .223 AVG.

I'd rather give Davis a shot than bring Simmons back at this point. There are a lot of elite defenders, if not quite as good as Simmons who can hit to a sub .600 OPS.

I agree my friend

25 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I agree my friend

HAHAHAHA. 

Ok, if we're friends, then you need to just calm down on the absolutes. I think you come off argumentative and trollish. Just speaking as a friend.

You can advocate for Cobb or whomever else you like and why you see it as a great fit, but too often your posts are so short.

12 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Personal choice. Respect it! 

Yep....just like it's my choice to get vaccinated because I need the money to pay for my bills.  There was absolutely no political consideration involved  in my decision.....I like living in a house.

13 minutes ago, cals said:

I’m sympathetic to the fact that you feel so terrible about yourself that you would need to make a choice to put yourself and others at risk so you can feel special.  It’s very sad.

I wonder if he has a music teacher that's also part of a garage band.

3 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Wow did he fall off the baseball radar. He went from being an elite defensive SS to being not even mentioned as a FA SS.

Normally I don't advocate a "bring that former Angel back" campaign because it is usually rooted in emotion. (For me Wally Joyner and Jim Abbott) 

However Simmons seems like he has potential be a buy low option if we spend our budget on pitching. I don't care about his bat, but can someone explain why/did his defensiveness really fall off the cliff? Is he done? 

Upgrading our pitching and more ground balls could make a healthy Simmons a sneaky inexpensive path. 

His hitting hit the wall....

His defense came back at a +16 OAA in 2021...

He was a +19 OAA here in 2019.

He had injuries and personal issues in 2020. His cross over and reactions are still elite defensively at a +8 to his right. His glove side has dropped from a +7 in 2019 to a +2 last year. That could be Minnesota's defensive positioning also?

As Iglesias' defense dropped due to our defensive positioning due to the over-shift. It actually exposed his lack of lateral quickness and reaction time.

8 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

His hitting hit the wall....

His defense came back at a +16 OAA in 2021...

He was a +19 OAA here in 2019.

He had injuries and personal issues in 2020. His cross over and reactions are still elite defensively.

I admit, I don't even remotely understand advanced metrics when it comes to evaluating defense.

Can you explain a bit what that means?