• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can Howie Win A Batting Title This Year?

Can Howie Win A Batting Title This Year?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Can Howie Win A Batting Title This Year?

• Yes
    • No
    • One Day
    • Never

what's comical to me is that 'Howie winning a battle title' had become a running joke on this board over the last few years.  Now, less than halfway into the season, people completely forget that he's done this year after year after year.  Next month he'll hit .190 and by the end of the year he'll finish in the .280-.290 range, where he ALWAYS does.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe he has ever been close to .336 in mid-June.

what's comical to me is that 'Howie winning a battle title' had become a running joke on this board over the last few years.  Now, less than halfway into the season, people completely forget that he's done this year after year after year.  Next month he'll hit .190 and by the end of the year he'll finish in the .280-.290 range, where he ALWAYS does.

If he doesn't do that and he hits over .300 like he did in 2007 and 2008, will you still find a reason to "hate"/bitch about Kendrick? 

Howie has had one year in his career where he hit into a ton of double plays, so according to AW that is all he does. He was said to be a perennial batting champion, since he isn't AW hates him. The guy has been a plus WAR player for his entire career but he is shit on because of what he isn't.

Howie has had one year in his career where he hit into a ton of double plays

That isn't really accurate. This year he is tied for 3rd in GDP, and on pace for about 28. In 2007 he hit into 15, despite only having played in 88 games. He was the only player in baseball that year to hit into more than 13 DPs and play in under 90 games. Over a full 550 AB season, he would have been on pace for 25 (which would have led the majors).

Perhaps it's a little overstated, but there is no denying that Howie has a strong propensity for hitting into double plays.

First off congratulations Howie on climbing into second in AL batting average. It has been a joy to see this run and all the aw.com haters eating crow. Do not think he can pass Miggy he will make it close.

KEEP RAKING!

I am curious if he has ever had a month where he batted .190. To me he is streaky, but not so bad where he would hit below .200 over the course of a month.

May 2009. Howie batted .193 but he proceeded to have the best 2nd half out of any 2nd baseman and finish with a .778 OPS. 

Howie will win the batting title along with double plays

That's actually pretty common. Cabrera had the triple crown last season and also led the league in double plays.

This year it will be hard to top Pujols for GIDPs though.

Howie is what he is.  He's been actually swinging more this year than the previous two years.  Back to early in his career when he seemed better off.  He may just be this type of player.  He's not gonna get on base a ton unless his avg is high. He plays solid defense.

Because he's susceptible to the hard slider, he's gonna have some trouble in the later innings with pen guys who tend to throw a ton of sliders.  But his other production makes up for it.  He's a solid value and gets the job done.  He frustrating at times.  Kinda like CJ in that you can't help but focus on the fact that they could be more, but sometimes good enough is ok as long as everyone else around you does their job. 

• 1 month later...

bumpity bump . . .

He has lost some 30 pts over the past month. His July includes 2 RBI and ONE walk so far in 51 at bats.

But yeah, if the dumpy duo (Pujols and Hamilton) ever got their act together, and we stopped adding garbage to the rotation, Kendrick would be fine as the support player he truly is, hitting 6th.