• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

I hope we ignore the possibility that we could end up with 4 or more offensive black holes in the lineup and that we had one of the worst defenses in baseball last year even though our pitching was actually above middle of the pack.  But yeah.  Pitching.  Let's ignore what actually happened last year.  Like it's 1985.  

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I hope we ignore the possibility that we could end up with 4 or more offensive black holes in the lineup and that we had one of the worst defenses in baseball last year even though our pitching was actually above middle of the pack.  But yeah.  Pitching.  Let's ignore what actually happened last year.  Like it's 1985.  

Do you actually think their fielding performance last year is a true representation of what you would expect going forward with the current group?

I don't think that's reasonable.

Fletcher, Rendon, Stassi, Trout, Marsh. All those guys are pretty darn good fielders. Walsh isn't half bad at first. Who knows who Fletcher is gonna be paired with.

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm guessing it won't be completely ignored. 

But I think Arte still meddles in everything (I'm a Canadian) and he knows/hears we need pitching so he tells Minasian to spend the budget on pitching. It's like the Facebook Angels fans who whine when we sign a position player because he's not a pitcher and obviously the team can only get pitchers when that's what they need. bUt CaN hE pItCh. Except it's the owner.

The funny thing is, this wouldn't be the worst time for Arte to lose out on someone like Scherzer then pivot to Correa because big splooshy.

19 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Do you actually think their fielding performance last year is a true representation of what you would expect going forward with the current group?

Fletcher, Rendon, Stassi, Trout, Marsh. All those guys are pretty darn good fielders. Walsh isn't half bad at first. Who knows who Fletcher is gonna be paired with.

Walsh has some elite defensive skills, top 3 for GG this year. No brain fades, very few errors, works far from the bag, I don't understand why that side of his game is so underrated. He's highly likely to get better with a bit more experience too.

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

From the MLB Trade Rumors live chat.  Please tell me it wasn't someone from here who asked this...

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat-11-17-21-11880.html

Angels
3:30
Would the Angels consider trading Luis Rengifo and Griffin Canning for a high end starting pitcher?

Anthony Franco
3:31
I'm sure they'd love that but neither of those guys have that kind of value anymore

I could see them being secondary or tertiary pieces in that kind of trade (Canning in particular), but neither one is headlining a trade for Pablo López or anything like that

This had to have been @angels1961

39 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

do I actually think that the defense could perform exactly as it did last year with similar players?  Even when Rendon and Trout were in the lineup the defense was awful.  So yeah.  I think it's reasonable.  

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Only so much money left, Artie not going over lux tax. Cobb 8 and 3 last year era of 3.76. Hill made 32 starts last year era at 3.8

Then why are you not hoping to trade prospects for controllable (affordable) top end pitching instead of advocating signing third tier starters?

12 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Dude the team wants to win the World Series, not win an award for getting lucky at landing serviceable starters at bargain prices.

they are gonna have to do a bit of that though.  Ie find players that perform well which don't cost much.  

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Then why are you not hoping to trade prospects for controllable (affordable) top end pitching instead of advocating signing third tier starters?

That might happen, but I keep Marsh and Adell. I think a rotation with Ohtani, Thor, Sandoval, Suarez, Cobb and Hill would be good. Bullpen needs help, spend money on that. Depth for starters would be Detmers, Canninhg and Barria. Health is again main concern for Angels Rendon and Trout must be in lineup 150 games. Remember Artie does not get into lux tax area. So they are not getting Stroman, Semien and Raisel maybe just one of them. People that believe this are in fantasy land. They need money for Ohtani and his extension so you will not see any long term deals of 5 or 6 years to players this off season. Short term pitching deals. Minasian took a gamble on Thor but in my opinion the right one. That is why I see Cobb, Danny Duffy or Rich Hill type as other starters. Extension of Ohtani too important for Angels as he sells tickets. Artie is a business man. I would love Stroman, Mad Max, Robbie Ray, Marcus Semien, Freddie Freeman come to halos but it's not going to happen. 

10 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Astros really got taken, this is nice news. If he's rubbish, they're on the hook for $50m for 2 years of rehabbing sub-par Verlander on an innings limit (he went under the knife at the end of September 2020, so only 18 mths to Spring Training 2022 and 6 months behind Syndergaard). If he's back to his best - and it will take a fair chunk of the season before he is - then he'll opt-out. It's all upside for Verlander.

Here's a sobering thought: if post TJ rehabbing Verlander is getting $25m, what are Cy Young winner Robbie Ray and Matt Scherzer's agent likely to be asking for?

Asstros already paid him a ton not to pitch in 2021.   Could ultimately mean 3 years/$80 million through 2023 for so-so production.

12 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

It wasn't ability, it was positioning.  

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It wasn't ability, it was positioning.  

Right, so unless @Jeff Fletcher goes and asks very specific questions about it and gets straight answers I don't know if you're really gonna know what the future holds.

So lamenting about defense issues while pitching help is brought in is...odd to me at least.