• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Free agent pitchers you want the team to avoid this offseason?

mmc

On 10/22/2021 at 8:35 PM, Torridd said:

Could the Angels afford a trio of Matz, Stroman, and R. Iglesias?

I would think so.

Matz is probably in the $8m-12m range, Stroman anywhere from $17m-$22m, Iglesias probably $13m-$18m.

If all sign at the upper end that’s about $50m which is about the limit. Backloading could help, just doesn’t leave room for much else - if they all sign at the upper range. Still have trades too.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I would think so.

Matz is probably in the $8m-12m range, Stroman anywhere from $17m-$22m, Iglesias probably $13m-$18m.

If all sign at the upper end that’s about $50m which is about the limit. Backloading could help, just doesn’t leave room for much else - if they all sign at the upper range. Still have trades too.

I think you're being conservative on Stroman.  He took the qualifying offer this season, which was just under $19M.  Even though the QO is a unique circumstance, I imagine he and his agents will be shooting for an AAV floor comfortably above that level.  Matz is a real wild card.  He had a solid year this year that probably wiped away memories of his horrific 2020, but even when healthy, he's not a guy who goes deep into games and he's never lived up to his early-career potential.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone gave him a deal north of $12M/year.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think you're being conservative on Stroman.  He took the qualifying offer this season, which was just under $19M.  Even though the QO is a unique circumstance, I imagine he and his agents will be shooting for an AAV floor comfortably above that level.  Matz is a real wild card.  He had a solid year this year that probably wiped away memories of his horrific 2020, but even when healthy, he's not a guy who goes deep into games and he's never lived up to his early-career potential.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone gave him a deal north of $12M/year.

Stroman’s likeliest to get the longest deal of that bunch, and that makes it much easier to backload a bit and keep that first year around his QO salary this year. 

Wheeler’s 5/$118m seems like a realistic comp, but I could see it being a good chunk over and even under too. Stroman’s deal probably has the widest range of possibilities as to where it lands out of all the FA SP, short of maybe someone like Eduardo Rodriguez.

Stroman will be the highest paid pitcher in terms of contract size this offseason. Scherzer will get $99-$108 over three years, but I think Stroman signs for $28 per @ 6 years or 7 years? So, 6/$168? 7/196?

Scherzer will make more in terms of AAV.

Ray will land just south of Stroman.

I think getting Scherzer on a short term deal makes more sense than Stroman on a longer deal, even if it's high AAV. And like I said yesterday, maybe he'll defer $12M per.

Also Gausman will be in the same range as Ray and Stroman. 5/140-6/168.

Rodon is an interesting case, probably commands at least 4/100, maybe 5/120?

Kershaw I said 2/56 or so.

Cobb I think gets 1 year 8 to 11. Similar to Quintana and Harvey. He might get two or three years at same amount, but doubt it's from Angels.

Gray I think gets a multi year deal at or near the same rate as his brother (JK), Sonny. 3/30.5 plus maybe 20%. 3/36 or 4/48? Maybe a bit higher than that even?

Alex Wood is another one in the Gray range. So Is Matz, albeit on the Low end of the spectrum.

I'd think E. Rodriguez is in a same ball park as Cobb, Gray, and Wood, maybe 20% less.

Everyone else is a wildcard.