• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Matt Vasgersian hopes to broadcast more Angels games next season

Matt Vasgersian enjoyed his first season with the Angels so much that he is hoping to do more in 2022.

The Angels had been one of three employers for the veteran baseball broadcaster, but this week he said he will no longer do ESPN “Sunday Night Baseball”. Now he’ll split his time between MLB Network – games and in-studio shows – and the Angels.

“I knew I had to make some choices, and there was no way I could continue doing these three things another season,” Vasgersian said by phone on Thursday. “I went into this season knowing it was a one-year thing that way.”

Vasgersian called about 60 Angels games this season, and he’s hoping to increase that to 80 to 90 next season, he said. He and Bally Sports West are still working out the details for next season.

Returning to a local broadcast after years of working on national platforms was just as enjoyable as Vasgersian expected it to be when he took the Angels job before the season.

“It just feels better to be able to root,” Vasgersian said. “I believe this firmly: us vs. them is much more enjoyable than them vs. them. It’s the way it’s supposed to be. The appeal of baseball is only as strong as its regional value. While there will always be a place for a national presentation of the game – MLB Network and ESPN – it’s all about the regions. They care about baseball the most.”

Although the Angels didn’t have the kind of season that they or their fans would have hoped, Vasgersian said it was still an enjoyable club for him to broadcast.

“I like the whole vibe around the Angels,” he said. “Everything from the player roster to the people in the front office. I like the Bally people. It feels very good. Very organic.”

The Angels split the broadcast duties among several announcers when Vasgersian wasn’t available. Daron Sutton worked the first half of the season and then was let go at the All-Star break, with Rich Waltz taking over in the second half. Patrick O’Neal also did a few games late in the season. Mark Gubicza and José Mota worked the broadcasts all season.

View the full article

14 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Vasgersian called about 60 Angels games this season, and he’s hoping to increase that to 80 to 90 next season, he said. He and Bally Sports West are still working out the details for next season.

So the question is: who gets the games Vasgersian doesn't call?

Waltz might prefer a full-time gig, if he could get one and 70-80 games would be a lot to ask of for O'Neal.