• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America: 'He's 100% Different': After Rookie Struggles, Jo Adell Returns To The Majors In A Better Place

Chuck

33 minutes ago, Blarg said:

His plate disciplne is remarkably better along with a new swing that plays at the major league level without him having to sacrifice power. he worked on his defense as well over the off season and doesn't look lost on hard hit balls. 

Both of these - and while some of his routes are still kinda awful, his fielding has improved a *lot* over last year.

To improve as much as he has since last year, I'm really impressed

28 minutes ago, Justin said:

I wonder if @Lou has been missing lately because he's busy compiling all the idiotic comments written about Adell last season. 

It certainly would take a long time. 

Let's not get crazy here.  He's still performing at below replacement level but he is doing better than last year but that bar was so low that improvement was inevitable.

He still needs to make a jump from here to be a major league starting outfielder.

I will once again advocate for a four-man outfield next year, of Trout, Upton, Adell, and Marsh -- all pencilled in as regulars, with no fourth outfielder.

162 games x 3 positions = 486 outfield starts

486 / 4 = 121.5 starts on average

Let's assume Trout and Upton are healthy all year next year, which is probably very unlikely, at least that neither will lose time to injury. That's probably 140 and 130 starts, respectively. 486 - 270 = 216 starts for Adell and Marsh, or 113 each. Factor in injuries and both should easily get to 120+ starts, plus another 10 games as late replacements and pinch-hitters.

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I will once again advocate for a four-man outfield next year, of Trout, Upton, Adell, and Marsh -- all pencilled in as regulars, with no fourth outfielder.

162 games x 3 positions = 486 outfield starts

486 / 4 = 121.5 starts on average

Let's assume Trout and Upton are healthy all year next year, which is probably very unlikely, at least that neither will lose time to injury. That's probably 140 and 130 starts, respectively. 486 - 270 = 216 starts for Adell and Marsh, or 113 each. Factor in injuries and both should easily get to 120+ starts, plus another 10 games as late replacements and pinch-hitters.

If needed, Upton can spell Ohtani as DH on occasion.

10 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

If needed, Upton can spell Ohtani as DH on occasion.

I guess in theory Upton could now also pick up some time at 1B if he and the Angels really committed to the idea. Especially against tough lefties.

I don't really see him having the skills to pull it off, but 10-20 starts could be feasible after some offseason and spring work.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I guess in theory Upton could now also pick up some time at 1B if he and the Angels really committed to the idea. Especially against tough lefties.

I don't really see him having the skills to pull it off, but 10-20 starts could be feasible after some offseason and spring work.

Billy Beane would tell you that playing first base is easy.  Ron Washington begs to differ. 

9 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

Billy Beane would tell you that playing first base is easy.  Ron Washington begs to differ. 

I'm much more in agreement with Washington. Range might not be the most critical need there, but first base is involved in a lot more plays (typically) than LF, with much more need for quick-instinct, fast-paced actions.

Not sure Upton matches up there. But depending on the complexion of the bench, and if he and the Angels are willing, seeing him make an occasional start there doesn't seem too outside the realm. 

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I could see 80-90 games tops in LF, 10-20 DH starts, and 10-15 1B starts.