• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gallo and Gibson

4 minutes ago, mmc said:

Not much.  Don't want Gibson as a rental starter and Gallo doesn't play defense too well.

Gallo's defense is fine and Gibson is controlled through next year (2022 salary is a little under $8M).

(Edit to note that I'm not necessarily crazy about either of them (don't think I could handle Gallo's Ks, even if it does come with a .400 OBP this year), but just wanted to point out a couple things about them)

Edited by jsnpritchett

Be careful about Gibson. Sure, he had his highlights before this season but his career ERA prior to this season was 4.57, which is about average. It's not like he was a dominant starting pitcher for years prior to this season.  I don't trust the guy to repeat his Al-Star first half this season. 

NO.  This is not a good deal for us, unless only lower level players are involved.  Gibson doesn't solve the pitching problem, and Gallo, though he would look good in RF, strikes out far too much.  

What we need to look for is a deal for Upton, even though he has a no-trade provision, and continued development from Sandoval, Suarez and Barria.  Gibson is not any better than those three, and possibly worse.

Lol who cares if Gallo strikes out too much? It’s not 1984. Everyone strikes out too much now. Dude has 72 walks and a .402 OBP. His 20.5% BB% this year is better than what Trout has ever posted - and Trout and Ohtani’s 28% K% this year is only 3% worse than Gallo’s.

He’s something of a West Coast guy too, could probably be an extension candidate. 

Could you imagine him in an offense which is he isn’t the main guy? With Trout, Ohtani, Walsh, Rendon, Upton, and Fletcher? Nuts.

Edited by totdprods

25 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I would trade Marsh + for two years of Gallo without blinking. 

Great defense. 80-grade arm. Good speed. Enormous power. High OBP. 

The thing is, position players don't typically cost that much. Starting pitchers are where everyone gives up prospects.

I wouldn’t trade Marsh for him at all though. Honestly, we just don’t match up, as much as I’d like to have him. I wouldn’t deal any of Marsh, Adell, or Detmers in-division, and any other deal would take so much prospect capital - especially in a deadline where other teams will have better prospects to offer - it just wouldn’t be worth it. Ship has sailed. 

You could take a similar offer to Baltimore for something like Means and Santander and get further. 

I would’ve seriously been after Lynn and Gallo for Adell and Canning this past offseason.

Edited by totdprods

What @tdawg87 said. Gallo is really good, but the control--not to mention his skyrocketing cost in 2023, if they extended him--is a big plus on the side of Marsh.

And of course, if there's one area that the Angels don't need to seek help for, it is the OF. I know it is rough right now, but they've got a ton of prospects in the minors.

If we're talking about boosting the team this year, they've got Trout, Rendon and Upton coming back. The offense has been very good without them, and could be great with them. 

We're back to the same old problem: Pitching. Let's focus resources there.

That said, I might trade Adell and Canning/Barria for Gallo, though.

When offense isn't the problem, we want to trade our best prospect for............more offense. 

Defense is definitely a problem and we want to trade what figures to be a gold gloves caliber defender in RF. 

RF enhances middling LH power into very considerable pop, as evidenced by La Stella or even Walsh's home and road splits, so we'll trade a prospect growing into his LH power stroke for a player who doesn't need help hitting for power, whose profile doesn't necessarily improve at Angel Stadium.

We need to save money so that we can extend the likes of Shohei Ohtani, Max Stassi and Jared Walsh in the next couple years, so we are going to trade an extremely valuable cost controlled asset to a division rival in order to add even more payroll. 

We finally have young pitching breaking through into the big leagues, two pitchers with previous big league success starting in AAA, and two fantastic pitching prospects in AA that will be ready next year, and we want to trade our best prospect for a 33 year old starter that's having a good year, but has also recorded an ERA over 4.80 four of the last five years and only limits the opportunity for their young starters. 

I mean, there's a lot of reasons why we don't make that deal. Pick one 

we're 5.5 gb of the second WC for the love of everything decent and holy.  which means the year and a half of club control they both have essentially becomes 1 yr where it could be worth it.  Even trading lesser players means giving up volume from the rather nice collection of foreign players in the ACL we've accumulated.  I just don't get it.  People want this franchise to stop playing as if only the current year matters.  We probably need at least 90 wins to make the second WC.  Which means we have to play at a .620 clip the rest of the way.  Which means we would have to be one of the best teams in baseball the rest of the way if not the best.  

And as for next year, come talk to me when we grow a legit bull pen and we're better than 1 game over .500 at the break.  Then maybe I'd consider move a couple of our top prospects for some short term help.  Maybe.  sure as hell hope we're not gonna move all in on a year and a half of kyle gibson.  Someone we should have pursued as a free agent before last year.  

14 hours ago, totdprods said:

Lol who cares if Gallo strikes out too much? It’s not 1984. Everyone strikes out too much now. Dude has 72 walks and a .402 OBP. His 20.5% BB% this year is better than what Trout has ever posted - and Trout and Ohtani’s 28% K% this year is only 3% worse than Gallo’s.

He’s something of a West Coast guy too, could probably be an extension candidate. 

Could you imagine him in an offense which is he isn’t the main guy? With Trout, Ohtani, Walsh, Rendon, Upton, and Fletcher? Nuts.

Of course putting the ball in play matters. You can ask the recent Yankees squads about how much it matters when your hitters put the ball in play. Or the 2002 World Series champions Angels, who were great overall as a team in putting the ball in play. You're going to need your hitters to make contact with the ball in situations where you have a runner in scoring position, especially when there's a guy on third with less than two outs. I can already picture Gallo striking out with a runner on third with less than two outs as an Angels and they end up losing that game that really ruins their postseason dreams late in the season. I mean, holy cow, Gallo averages 227 strikeouts per-162 games, which makes Hall of Famer Reggie and future Hall of Famer Trout look like Tony Gwynn at the plate when it comes to making contact with the ball. 

45 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Of course putting the ball in play matters. You can ask the recent Yankees squads about how much it matters when your hitters put the ball in play. Or the 2002 World Series champions Angels, who were great overall as a team in putting the ball in play. You're going to need your hitters to make contact with the ball in situations where you have a runner in scoring position, especially when there's a guy on third with less than two outs. I can already picture Gallo striking out with a runner on third with less than two outs as an Angels and they end up losing that game that really ruins their postseason dreams late in the season. I mean, holy cow, Gallo averages 227 strikeouts per-162 games, which makes Hall of Famer Reggie and future Hall of Famer Trout look like Tony Gwynn at the plate when it comes to making contact with the ball. 

If he was the top bat in our offense, sure, it would be a problem, but he wouldn't be here. Also, he's hitting .239, which is essentially AL league average (.243). The Yankees' offense is almost entirely built around that type of hitter and that's why it isn't working. We have a really nice balance. 

When you look at all his pros and cons - good defense, ability to play multiple positions, left-handed power, plus-plus power, above-average arm, elite walk rate, league average BA, an extension candidate...a strikeout rate that's just slightly worse than Trout and Ohtani isn't enough of a detriment to outweigh what he brings. 

But again - I don't see the Angels fitting here. A team like NYY, Atlanta, or San Diego could top any offer we'd make (or at least that I'd want to see us make) with better quality prospects, and as @Dochalo pointed out, Kyle Gibson isn't enough of a pitching upgrade to warrant an expanded deal. 

Had this been the offseason when competition for Gallo was a little less, and someone like Lance Lynn could have been worked into the deal (maybe Gibson too as a salary dump since he was awful last year), then paying a premium would have made more sense. It just doesn't now.

Edited by totdprods