• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Jared Walsh Thread

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not necessarily him. But was talking to a buddy about this the other day, about how we finally have one of those guys. One of those guys who nobody has heard of that gives us star level performance, for cheap.

We finally have an oakland guy

the cards are notorious for this as well.   I've always wondered about the interplay between the draft and development process.  To me there's kinda two schools of thought.  Create or adjust your development process to the player vs. getting ie drafting players that would fit best into the process.  Yes, you are gonna have to make adjustments either way.  Like you need 3-4 different developments processes that you've honed done to work for various types of guys.  But don't try to pick a guy and then adjust on the fly unless you have to.  

Adell comes to mind in this scenario as well.  As opposed to figuring it out as they go, there is hopefully some structure and consistency.  

But get the guy that fits the common message or idea as opposed to thinking you can take every guy with raw talent and make a different plan for them.  

24 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not necessarily him. But was talking to a buddy about this the other day, about how we finally have one of those guys. One of those guys who nobody has heard of that gives us star level performance, for cheap.

Yes, exactly. He’s not the same player as Muncy, but he’s a late bloomer who came out of nowhere (as far as prospects lists are concerned). He’s going to provide great value over the next half decade.

Speaking of Adell, I wonder if he might have a somewhat Buxtonian career path, although hopefully without the injuries. Obviously Buxton isn’t THIS good (.408/.447/.859, MLB-leading 2.3 WAR), but it does seem he’s finally having his breakthrough to stardom.

(For those wondering who the fuck Buxton is, he was the top prospect in baseball about six or seven years ago, and predictably compared to Trout, but never really fulfilled his potential, although showed flashes in 2017 and 2019)

Buxton is now 27 years old and in his 7th season. Adell will be 27 in 2026, so I really hope it doesn’t take him that long, but after Buxton had his first “semi-breakout” in 2017 at age 23 in his third season, he struggled with injuries. So one would think that if he had stayed healthy, he would have risen to stardom sometime after 2017. I could see Adell also having a semi-breakout in his third season, which will be 2022, assuming he gets some time this year, and maybe come fully into his potential by 2024.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Speaking of Adell, I wonder if he might have a somewhat Buxtonian career path, although hopefully without the injuries. Obviously Buxton isn’t THIS good (.408/.447/.859, MLB-leading 2.3 WAR), but it does seem he’s finally having his breakthrough to stardom.

(For those wondering who the fuck Buxton is, he was the top prospect in baseball about six or seven years ago, and predictably compared to Trout, but never really fulfilled his potential, although showed flashes in 2017 and 2019)

Buxton is now 27 years old and in his 7th season. Adell will be 27 in 2026, so I really hope it doesn’t take him that long, but after Buxton had his first “semi-breakout” in 2017 at age 23 in his third season, he struggled with injuries. So one would think that if he had stayed healthy, he would have risen to stardom sometime after 2017. I could see Adell also having a semi-breakout in his third season, which will be 2022, assuming he gets some time this year, and maybe come fully into his potential by 2024.

Seeing Buxton stats compared to Trouts reminds me how worthless WAR is.

21 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Seeing Buxton stats compared to Trouts reminds me how worthless WAR is.

Huh? It makes perfect sense. Buxton has a higher SLG (+54) but lower OBP (-80). They both have very similar wRC+ but Trout has more Offensive Runs because he has 17 more PA. Buxton is making up the difference by being a better defender and base runner.

12 minutes ago, Stax said:

If Adell is going to take that long to develop, Adams will pass him and be the starting outfielder. Trade Adell for a potential #1 starting pitcher.

I’m suggesting that he should be a solid major leaguer by 2022, and a star by 2024. I don’t think Adams is ahead of that timeline, but should narrow the gap a bit.

2 minutes ago, Stax said:

If the is the case, then we have the dilemma we had when we had Edmonds, Erstat, Salmon and Anderson. Who de we trade?

Good problem to have. Could move one to a different position, possibly. But they'd evaluate the situation and make the trade they feel is best for the team.

The odds of this are incredibly low, so it's more of a fun thought.

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Might go back to Shoemaker and Eckstein in the past....can’t think of any others....

Walsh is the real deal! he's an All-star player. The one thing that i really liked and showed me alot about his ability, was how he just threw his hands at bat on the outside zone and flipped over the left the left Field fence. That crazy power, trust in his hands and a solid eye. 

11 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Walsh is the real deal! he's an All-star player. The one thing that i really liked and showed me alot about his ability, was how he just threw his hands at bat on the outside zone and flipped over the left the left Field fence. That crazy power, trust in his hands and a solid eye. 

You said it, not me.

My only concern is that we don’t know how well he’ll counter-adjust as pitchers get used to him and start figuring him out. He hasn’t been in the majors long enough for there to be a “book on Walsh,” but there inevitably will be.

Thankfully his current stat line has a lot of room for going down and him remaining really good. The pitcher adjustment is basically why I think he’s more of a .280/.350/.550 guy. We haven’t had that kind of production out of 1B on a consistent basis since...well, never, at least not consistently.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

My only concern is that we don’t know how well he’ll counter-adjust as pitchers get used to him and start figuring him out. He hasn’t been in the majors long enough for there to be a “book on Walsh,” but there inevitably will be.

Thankfully his current stat line has a lot of room for going down and him remaining really good. The pitcher adjustment is basically why I think he’s more of a .280/.350/.550 guy. We haven’t had that kind of production out of 1B on a consistent basis since...well, never, at least not consistently.

You can even come down from there. 

If say (using the above line) hes 250+/330/500, with 20 home runs, that at 1B is still a huge boost