• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Padres (3-21-2021) Ohtani on the mound & leading off!

Chuck

Just now, TaylorBot said:

Now we know why Ohtani asked for the day off yesterday.

I wonder if they're going to see how he feels in a ST game at DH and pitching, since essentially that's what pitchers do in the NL. 

I mean at the very least, if he can do that once in a while and when we play against NL teams in interleague play...that would be awesome! 

Double duty: Ohtani pitching, leading off

mlsqd4v9j2w6cs7tfufw.jpg

Two-way sensation Shohei Ohtani is no stranger to rare feats, but what he's doing Sunday is striking even for him. Ohtani will be the Angels' starting pitcher against the Padres, and he is also in the lineup as the team's leadoff hitter.

If that sounds like it doesn't happen a whole lot, well, it doesn't. The last starting pitcher to lead off while staying on the mound for more than one inning in a regular-season game was Jim Jones for the New York Giants in the second game of a doubleheader on Sept. 30, 1901. (Jones lost a five-inning complete game and went 0-for-4).

Since then, only two players have started on the mound and batted first: the Giants’ Al Dark (Sept. 27, 1953) and the Twins’ César Tovar (Sept. 22, 1968). But both players were longtime position players making the only pitching appearances of their careers, with Tovar going on to play all nine positions that day against the A’s.

Finally, Ohtani -- though regarded as one of the fastest players on the Halos -- has only led off to start a regular-season game once in his career.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I expect all ballplayers from 1901 to have a combination of names that dont exist anymore, like gaylord or seymore, and some sort of descriptive nickname, like lefty or "the polack".

Mortimer "the polack" leftystein would have been my pick to leadoff and pitch in 1901.

15 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I expect all ballplayers from 1901 to have a combination of names that dont exist anymore, like gaylord or seymore, and some sort of descriptive nickname, like lefty or "the polack".

Mortimer "the polack" leftystein would have been my pick to leadoff and pitch in 1901.

I never realized Leftystein was a Polish name. 

Pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere. Is it possible to DH your catcher and let your pitcher hit? Say in an important regular season or postseason game you have Ohtani as starting pitcher and hitting but have Pujols or whoever DH for Stassi. Is there a rule that says the DH is only allowed for the pitcher? 

4 minutes ago, Buttercup said:

Pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere. Is it possible to DH your catcher and let your pitcher hit? Say in an important regular season or postseason game you have Ohtani as starting pitcher and hitting but have Pujols or whoever DH for Stassi. Is there a rule that says the DH is only allowed for the pitcher? 

Nope

Do they do this in the regular season? It would be cool, and possibly something to do in certain situations. 

It would be fun if he led off the top of the first with a homer and gave himself a lead before even throwing one pitch. 

A negative could be if he got on base and had to do a lot of running and sliding before taking the mound. That might bring on some fatigue or temporary discomfort. 

Nice to even have this potential strategy as an option.